Hey Everyone,

I noticed some dead vertical lines on a Game Boy that I had backlit and intended to sell. After opening it up and going through the usual procedure to fix the vertical lines the columns remained and were still there after a few days. Luckily I sold it on as faulty, but wondered if this was due to fixing the lines with the backlight installed.

This has never happened before and I have never attempted to fix lines with one installed. Any tips/ pointers. Thanks

Glasgow, Scotland.

It shouldn't be difficult to remove the backlight and then go through the usual process to fix them. Some are more stubborn than others. Depending on the backlight, you might even be able to just repair it whilst it's in situ.

Glasgow, Scotland.

Sorry, I probably misread slightly...

If you still had vertical lines after trying to fix it with the backlight installed, why didn't you remove the backlight? It shouldn't be a difficult thing to do.

If it's the kind with wires underneath the bottom of the cable/ribbon where you run the soldering iron, it's possible you were over-cautious or missed certain bits... or didn't apply enough pressure/heat/time to make the fix stick.

unexpectedbowtie wrote:

Sorry, I probably misread slightly...

If you still had vertical lines after trying to fix it with the backlight installed, why didn't you remove the backlight? It shouldn't be a difficult thing to do.

If it's the kind with wires underneath the bottom of the cable/ribbon where you run the soldering iron, it's possible you were over-cautious or missed certain bits... or didn't apply enough pressure/heat/time to make the fix stick.

Thanks for the reply ahaha. You know I never saw this and I am sure I had a few looks long after the date you posted.