Abandoned on Fire

Yay!  Fixt id! big_smile  See last post for pics.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can I safely do the vertical line fix on my gbl or will I risk melting/damaging the backlight?

Full disclosure:  I didn't search one damn bit before posting.  tongue

Last edited by egr (Sep 1, 2010 4:18 am)

matt's mind

it matter what the ribbon cable they used is made out of.

if its brown and hard plastic, its probably acetate (i think thats the right word, right?) and it will be fine to the heat.

the issue is, if they used something else to insulate the ribbon cable, it may melt really quickly causing irreparable damage.

if it is the brown cable like in a DMG, it should be fine.

i'd look, but have to run out the door in a sec and if i dissect a gameboy i'll get lost in it and miss work...

EDIT - my response is really geared towards if you asked "can i destroy the LCD screen?"

heat will destroy an EL backlight, yes, just like it would an LED one.  however, provided the glass from the LCD is between your heat source and the EL, unless you go crazy with the heat you should be ok.

Abandoned on Fire

Shit, hadn't considered the ribbon cable.  I'll have to compare closely...
Thanks for the warning!

Last edited by egr (Aug 24, 2010 6:31 pm)

using a fine tipped soldering iron will keep the heat focused on the ribbon cable. but if the gbl is the same as the pocket then you may have some problems

Abandoned on Fire

I took my gbl apart and couldn't figure out how to safely remove the lcd to even get a look at the ribbon cable connection.  It didn't look promising tho.  I feel like you could possibly get to it by just removing the screen protector but damn this thing's glued together well!  Too bad.  sad

send it to me i will give it a good home

Abandoned on Fire
NeX wrote:

Any chance you'd want to try and fix it for a nominal fee?

egr wrote:
NeX wrote:

i would be happy to give it a try, only thing is i have no idea what to expect so i cant promise i can fix it.

but if you consider it dead you can send it to me and if i can get it going i can send it back for a bit of money, and if i cant, i can keep it to cover my time.

if the screen is similar to the DMG then it should be easy to fix, if its similar to the pocket then it may be doomed, BUT it might be possible to retro fit it with a pocket screen maybe?

got any pics of the inside?

i remember seeing that the lights are based more on the gameboy colour in tech,

Abandoned on Fire
NeX wrote:
egr wrote:

i would be happy to give it a try, only thing is i have no idea what to expect so i cant promise i can fix it.

but if you consider it dead you can send it to me and if i can get it going i can send it back for a bit of money, and if i cant, i can keep it to cover my time.

if the screen is similar to the DMG then it should be easy to fix, if its similar to the pocket then it may be doomed, BUT it might be possible to retro fit it with a pocket screen maybe?

I'll take some good pics tonight and post them for you.  smile

egr wrote:
NeX wrote:

I'll take some good pics tonight and post them for you.  smile

cool smile i mean i could dig out my light and take it apart but i can't be arsed tongue

Abandoned on Fire

Here ya go, NeX.  If you'd like any other views let me know!

Last edited by egr (Aug 31, 2010 12:16 am)

Abandoned on Fire

Looking at that last pic I realize that the connection I want is right there.  The "glued together tabs of plastic".  Duh.

Abandoned on Fire

It's so tempting to just give that ribbon connection a quick press with my wife's flat hair iron...

matt's mind
egr wrote:

It's so tempting to just give that ribbon connection a quick press with my wife's flat hair iron...

put something that won't melt behind it and go for it!!!

thats essentially how they did it in the manufacturing process.  a flat iron type of machine...  but more scientific and precise than your wife's big_smile  and not a flat iron.  but, certainly an even distribution of heat...  maybe a reflow oven, maybe a press...  doesn't matter really.

heat is what you want (but controlled).

same deal with fixing DMG LCD screens...  acetate ribbon cables so you can apply heat, and in that case the connection is made to the glass substrate (well, not the glass exactly).  rather than to another acetate cable.

hope it works!  it should just fine...

not too much pressure so you don't squeeze the solder out or create solder bridges and shorts...  but, heat should make it reflow and that should fix the cable...

Abandoned on Fire

I'll give it a shot... and then post pics of the carnage.  Get ready to see an EL layer in the For Sale section. tongue

matt's mind

if the screen is still glued down or whatnot...

its probably the adhesive ring around the screen.

if you wanted, you can take off the plastic screen cover, and push it out that way.  rather than try to pry it off the adhesive.

remember....  only as much heat as needed smile

confidence!