Chicago IL

i am planning on writing a small pamphlet on chip music to hand out to strangers at the airport. what should it include? keep in mind this will be basically a two sided piece of paper i have to fold into thirds, so i don't have a TON of space.

also if anyone can recommend me any printing places that you've gotten pamphlets made up at, it would be very appreciated. or what i would need to do these myself at home?

Tacoma WA

so can i close this yet?

[] yes
[x] no

FlashHeart

About two years ago I began a PAMPHLET about the chip music scene. I conducted over 40 hours of interviews in person, did a few dozen email interviews, read as many PAMPHLETS as I could about it, watched hours of footage, and wrote the outline for a PAMPHLET proposal as well as about a hundred pages of the PAMPHLET itself while secluded in a PAMPHLET in the Himalayas for a month.

For real. PAMPHLET.

After spending several months working on this PAMPHLET and pitching it to a few well-respected PAMPHLET-writers, the conclusion was almost unanimous: too soon for a PAMPHLET.

I think if you want to go for it, you absolutely should, and I think that something like a photo PAMPHLET celebrating the scene and giving an overview of what it is would probably work and appeal to fans within the scene. PAMPHLET.

However, if you'd want to reach a mainstream audience, and if your intention is to do a history PAMPHLET of the chip music scene, then I do think it is too soon. Granted, the scene has been thriving for a long time, but it's still going strong and the future is still so open that I think (and quite a few people have agreed with me) that it's too soon to write a definitive PAMPHLET of it with adequate hindsight.

Having said that, if you do go through with the PAMPHLET I'll help in any way I can and my advice to you is to write a PAMPHLETabout the people involved in the scene, what it means to them, and who they are rather than an academic PAMPHLET of the music or a dry character-less PAMPHLET of the culture.

I'm really not trying to discourage you - just warning you about some of the PAMPHLETs I faced.

Personally, I think that some kind of coffee-table PAMPHLET with essays from several people and art from people like Minusbaby, Marjorie Becker, Diana Yee, and the scene's many VJs would be a much better PAMPHLET at this point and might actually pique the curiosity of a mainstream audience. Plus, if done well I think that you'd be well-placed to market the PAMPHLET to everyone who bought the Reformat the Planet PAMPHLET.

Put a PAMPHLET through my letter-box if you'd like to chat about it further.

why do you capitalize every occurrence of the word "pamphlet"?

Abandoned on Fire

I'm worried this project would draw attention away from my chipmusic business card and hand gesture....

FlashHeart
tRasH cAn maN wrote:

why do you capitalize every occurrence of the word "pamphlet"?

SEARCH AND REPLACE. ALSO - CAPSLOCKITIS.

california

Yeah that's a cool idea.

Last edited by gizmo (Sep 12, 2010 11:12 pm)

Anahiem, CA

Maybe include the first paragraph of "You're new to the concept of chipmusic."
Noneletronics explanation.

Chicago IL
infradead wrote:

so can i close this yet?

[] yes
[] no

sorry, i just saw book -> magazine and said what's smaller / couldn't resist

if it's gonna be a problem close away baby

Chicago IL
rallyj wrote:

Maybe include the first paragraph of "You're new to the concept of chipmusic."
Noneletronics explanation.

i can explain chip without copying and pasting I'M A GOOD WRITER

that's why i'm writing A PAMPHLET

USA

You should try to promote a live show with your pamphlet.

I just don't think words will be able to convey the chip-music mindset to the general public.

Chip-music is simply another form of expression. It is an art.

Art is hard. And most people will never understand or appreciate the time and effort you sacrifice to create your art.

Chip-music is not a thing that everyone can appreciate. To most people chip-music is just old ugly video-game noises.

There are people who see chip-music as an art but I bet you won't find many at your average Airport.

You would be better off going to your local high school or youth center to promote chip-music. Young people can relate more to this scene and they also have more time to devote to appreciating and evolving the chip-music art form.

Just be prepared to be met with skepticism.

Last edited by SurfaceDragon (Sep 13, 2010 12:38 am)

Chicago IL

o ok

oh I've stumbled into 8bc by mistake, my apologies.

IL, US

hey nigel, starpause & some others already made a chip pamphlet, oddly enough smile

TSSBAY01

pamphlet is like the most limpdick word in the english language i think

Scotland
SurfaceDragon wrote:

You should try to promote a live show with your pamphlet.

Like, a flyer?

SurfaceDragon wrote:

I just don't think words will be able to convey the chip-music mindset to the general public.

Why? It works for the hundreds of music publications out there.

SurfaceDragon wrote:

Art is hard. And most people will never understand or appreciate the time and effort you sacrifice to create your art.

Bullshit.

SurfaceDragon wrote:

Chip-music is not a thing that everyone can appreciate. To most people chip-music is just old ugly video-game noises.

Music is not a thing that everyone can appreciate. It's a moot point.

SurfaceDragon wrote:

There are people who see chip-music as an art but I bet you won't find many at your average Airport.

Why?

SurfaceDragon wrote:

Young people can relate more to this scene and they also have more time to devote to appreciating and evolving the chip-music art form.

Again, utter bullshit! How can young people relate more? 'Young people', I take as anyone who is not over the age of 18 and therefore is bullshit. The majority of people on these boards are mid to late twenties and have plenty of time to devote and appreciate.

SurfaceDragon wrote:

Just be prepared to be met with skepticism.

I may or may not have been trolled. My point stands. -.-