Middlesbrough, UK

I usually say watch this video

then tell them in a promoter for these type of gigs, and i DJ and do Visuals for music thats made by "taking old consoles, breaking them appart, taking the bits that make sound and re programming them to make synthesisors, and make music from that, so not playing old game music making new stuff with old hardware. " they usually go ohhhh... and walk off. or go... mmm sounds intresting. ha ha. i found that line works and geeks and people that are intrested go.... so what hardware? or how do they do it? and then you know your on for a winner

Last edited by LastKnight (Jan 11, 2010 5:04 pm)

uhajdafdfdfa

I normally just say "not much". I make sure never to mention music, because then they'd want to hear it. I'd love to say "taking old consoles, breaking them appart, taking the bits that make sound and re programming them to make synthesisors", but I've never done that (probably along with 90% of the chipmusic scene), so I can't. sad

New York City

"I make electronic music, a mix of electro, breakbeat, techno, house and others. No I am not a fucking DJ, I play live"
I never mention what I use, it's fucking pointless. If they are nosy trainspotters, I might say something, but I rather not. I want people  to hear what I make, not to care with what the fuck I make it. It puts bad ideas in their heads, specially to those who know "cheaptoon".

When it is a "novelty", like in an interview, "I use old computers" will suffice.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 11, 2010 5:22 pm)

Middlesbrough, UK
akira^8GB wrote:

No I am not a fucking DJ,"

just cos you smell of poop, haha

The Bronx

Pretty much what Akira said, but I like to add that my tunes have a tendency to make hips, asses and boobs shake in a bellaco style.

Brazil

I say I make music using sounds of old videogames, emulated or hardware. And that sums up when someone asks me what is chipmusic.

A gray world of dread

I usually know the musical taste of my acquaintances, so I tell them I make terrible beeps and bleeps they don't want to hear. So far anyone who persisted to listen to a sample agreed. I mean I get looks aghast with horror when I put on Autechre or even Aphex.

But I've at least slowly familiarized my co-worker with my personal choice of music, so he's on a "don't mind" level.

Stockholm
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

I say I make music using sounds of old videogames, emulated or hardware. And that sums up when someone asks me what is chipmusic.

Then you're misleading everyone who asks you what chipmusic is.

Simply saying "sounds of old videogames" lets one think it's samples from old games, no?

Cambridge UK

Yeah... a friend of mine once tried to talk someone out of believing that what he was hearing (Bit Shifter) was made of samples from Megaman. And then when she switched the music to something by Nullsleep the tool argued all album long that he sampled Zelda. True Story.

astral cat

my next door neighbor tried to tell me that this guy lo-bat sampled crystal castles. I nearly puked all over his face.

Middlesbrough, UK

yeh get that alot, sooo you play techno made from halo right? so thats why my phrase stresses the concept of using the old harware as instruments, it ... almost true... but it works.

"I'm a progressive metal composer who uses the Nintendo Entertainment System as one of my instruments."

I write electronic music using a Game Boy and some other stuff like that.

Madison, WI

I make music using vintage computers and video game consoles.

Most people I run across seem genuinely interested in what I do, so I have no problem elaborating when pressed, and grabbing an album from the trunk of my car when pressed further.

Tacoma WA

i do ambient drones using a game boy as my main sound source.  i try not to say chiptunes as i doubt anyone would call the majority of my nanovoice stuff chiptune, the nanoloop stuff may be suspect as well.

if people want to geek out and get technical i'll talk to them about audiomulch or making audio effects patches in my micro mods.

New York City
LastKnight wrote:

just cos you smell of poop, haha

Huh?

Random wrote:

Then you're misleading everyone who asks you what chipmusic is.
Simply saying "sounds of old videogames" lets one think it's samples from old games, no?

Totally in agreement with Random.
Kurt, you are doing something very bad.