Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

"i'm kind of a big deal"
"perhaps you've heard of me"

Brazil
akira^8GB wrote:
Random wrote:

Then you're misleading everyone who asks you what chipmusic is.
Simply saying "sounds of old videogames" lets one think it's samples from old games, no?

Totally in agreement with Random.
Kurt, you are doing something very bad.

Not at all, cause videogame, in portuguese is synonimous of consoles. I just wrote a quick response, but no, I do say I use the chip, or emulate the chip of the consoles. If the person asks me if it's sampled from old videogames, I'll promptly say no. I'm pretty sure I'm not misleading anyone into thinking about something that even people inside the community don't know how to describe.

edit: spelling

Last edited by Subway Sonicbeat (Jan 11, 2010 6:57 pm)

Minneapolis

Sounds like Low-Gain. tongue

I say I'm a student, 'cuz it's true.

Unsubscribe

I make surf punk doom chipwave.

New York City
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Not at all, cause videogame, in portuguese is synonimous of consoles.

But cosoles = videogames.
Also, chipmusic is not exclusively made in consoles.
Still misleading wink

London, UK

"I make music on gameboys, what the f*** do YOU do?"

Chicago IL

i tell them its complicated and then send them an mp3

Tacoma WA

how does your significant others descirbe your music to thier friends?
i made a thread about this.  we all know how we talk about our own music.  but how to we talk about it to others?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

i'm not even gunna explain my story of when i had to get a record contract notarized at the bank the other day. The notarizer dude happened to be a DJ... *face palm*

hardcore, Australia

I read something described chip music as a kind of folk music.

So I like to refer to myself as a folk musician of the videogame era.

But usually I just say "I write songs about whales"

New York, New York

Sometimes I have described it with "underground", or "punk". I am conscious to avoid describing it like a dance electronic genre, because of the "club" connotation is so wrong for what I do.

Brazil
akira^8GB wrote:
Subway Sonicbeat wrote:

Not at all, cause videogame, in portuguese is synonimous of consoles.

But cosoles = videogames.
Also, chipmusic is not exclusively made in consoles.
Still misleading wink

You mean computers too? I know, C64, Atari ST, computers with those fm chips... If that's why i'm misleading people, then I agree, cause I didn't thought about it.

Los Angeles

I say "we make modern music using vintage computers and game consoles as musical instruments. We do not sample music from video games, we make our own 100% original music with each device."

In the past when I've said "we make (pop/rock/dance/elektro/etc) music" and hope that turns them on, I'd be lost in a sea of "that" music and forgotten. When I mention the instruments, people get interested.

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Jan 11, 2010 11:57 pm)

Camden, London

Last night my housemate brought over her model friends (not kidding!) and they saw me with my gameboys at which point my housemate had to try and explain the concept to them (not saying models are dense i swear) and she basically said i play a game and the noises go into the speakers. hmm. I tried to explain, but i always get scared trying to do so because every word i use i'm sure has been snubbed and discredited at some point! Chiptune? Videogame music? low-fi Electro? 4-bit? !!! i like chiptune best but do you guys know what the current correct word is?

And yes, this is what was going through my head while very attractive ladies were in my house drinking vodka. OOPS

A gray world of dread
57 wrote:

do you guys know what the current correct word is?

Science!

"I'm calibrating a wave form operator with mnemonic commands to increase sonic density of the output. Here, I'll show you how it works. Let me guide your hands."

Michigan

"i make music with guitars and drums in my nintendo band"

and then just keep smiling and nodding at the responses.