Brooklyn, NY

LOL, Texas.

But seriously, Alex, you should never EVER feel you have to justify yourself to anyone who thinks that heckling a performer is an okay thing to do. Let alone a backwards, inbred shit-for-brains like that guy.

And as far as sound and venue professionalism goes, if you feel that a venue is treating you like shit and running your sound poorly, my advice is simply walk out. There's a modicum of respect that needs to exist, without exception, between the venue and the performer at every single show. Don't let anyone EVER treat you like that sound guy did. If an engineer is ever that unwilling to help you, my advice is simply walk off. It's not worth your time, and the venue should know better than to put you in a situation like that.

Don't let anyone call you a prima donna for demanding these things. Like one of the comments on FB said, remember that as an electronic musician you live and die by the sound engineer. Don't ever accept anything less than what you are comfortable playing with.

brooklyn!
Zen Albatross wrote:

And as far as sound and venue professionalism goes, if you feel that a venue is treating you like shit and running your sound poorly, my advice is simply walk out. There's a modicum of respect that needs to exist, without exception, between the venue and the performer at every single show. Don't let anyone EVER treat you like that sound guy did. If an engineer is ever that unwilling to help you, my advice is simply walk off. It's not worth your time, and the venue should know better than to put you in a situation like that.

Don't let anyone call you a prima donna for demanding these things. Like one of the comments on FB said, remember that as an electronic musician you live and die by the sound engineer. Don't ever accept anything less than what you are comfortable playing with.

wait.
josh, i love you, but i can't agree with that entirely.
DON'T simply walk out.

all things considered for this gig, bouncing was the right call, as everyone was being outwardly and clearly shitty. but if you're not getting proper sound and people are actually there to see you, you just kind of need to tough it out, at least for a little bit. once you get to a certain point, it becomes unprofessional to NOT ever play where you aren't comfortable.
this isn't justifying any time that sound is shitty there isn't something to do about it, but there's not a whole lot to gain from just walking out mid-set. the audience sees you acting disrespectfully, and the venue (if it's somewhere you ever want to play again at all) sees you as unprofessional. in situations like this, i would much rather just tough it out and sweat it later. talk to the sound guy and tell him you were unhappy with him doing a shitty job, and if he can't take that THEN tell him fuck you and walk out.

just tossin that out there.
fuck that guy, fuck corpus christi, fuck bad sound.

brooklyn!
PlainFlavored wrote:

also, i'm bummed that i just paused the ironomi record i was listening to just to play this.

Brooklyn, NY

Yeah Luke, I probably should have expanded on that a bit – Obviously if there are a ton of people there to see you, it's usually better to tough it out. But there have been some situations I've been in where sound is so bad that it's practically inaudible. One early show I played at Otto's in the LES was like that: Dude had the mixer EQ'ed to a microphone and when I tried fixing it they told me "don't touch our equipment." Luckily one of my engineer buddies was around and convinced them to let him adjust their mixer so that my game boy didn't sound like a garbled mess.

But in the situation that Alex described, I would have been outta there. When the venue sucks AND the crowd sucks, that's when you are officially wasting your time.

Philly, PA, USA
likeluke wrote:
PlainFlavored wrote:

also, i'm bummed that i just paused the ironomi record i was listening to just to play this.

yeah i was listening to IAYD and then i paused to watch this. it made me so sad.

Godzilladelph

is it too late to delete this dude irl?

Melbourne, Australia

The best bit about this for me is, does the "is not Trent Reznor" comment mean that that this moron realised that Trent Reznor has been using chip samples? Um... LOL?

IAYD - obviously using playing chip to jump on the bandwagon and be like Trent Reznor.
lol

Bronx, NY

My assumption is that he equates anything remotely electronic in music to Trent Reznor, which is equally lulworthy.

Unsubscribe

trent reznor is the only dude to ever use keyboards that wasnt a fucking pussy.

Matthew Joseph Payne
herr_prof wrote:

Oh yeah?

although admittedly,

Neither of of them is dressed in a particularly masculine way though.

Oh wait, you said "use" keyboards, right? I thought you said "destroy", my bad.

BOSTON

true: keith emmerson is a fucking badfuckingass. motherfucking. fucker.

lately we should rename this place chipwhine.org

astral cat
4mat wrote:

lately we should rename this place chipwhine.org

osnap

california
PlainFlavored wrote:

Yeah!! Straight outta Texas.

Bad humans do exist unfortunately. Just gotta keep on not being Trent Reznor.

herr_prof wrote:

Are you calling Huey Lewis and the News a Pussy?

Last edited by gizmo (Nov 4, 2010 4:45 am)

Massachusetts

Wow, haha. Talk about constructive criticism.