Psydney, Australia
smiletron wrote:
trash80 wrote:

I will say when its sitting in the mix, and its done right, and its not extreme, then it might not be terribly noticeable.

Germany, near Berlin

LSDJ / NL1.x: record from a "prosound" DMG (see line-out mod).
NL2.3 / other GBA stuff: record from a DS lite.

Last edited by motone (Jan 15, 2010 9:58 am)

trash80 wrote:

I will say when its sitting in the mix, and its done right, and its not extreme, then it might not be terribly noticeable.

But still noticeable.
It's like auto tune. No matter how little that has been used, I can still spot it right away and I'm kinda fed up with it.

Tacoma WA

a ton of compression on the gameboy.  at least 50% (2:1)
noise gate set as sensitive as it will go with a quick release.
on the channels with the gameboy i'll usally boost the bass and turn down the highs.
this gives nanovoice some pop and helps control the how noisey it is.

i had a RNLA on my main inserts and i really liked it but it was borrowed and i don't have it any more.

infradead wrote:

i had a RNLA on my main inserts and i really liked it but it was borrowed and i don't have it any more.

Nice one!
I really enjoy FMR's gear. The RNP is great considering it's fairly modest price.

England

words of wisdom from Busta:

I make sure everything remains raw [4X]

London

i agree, ableton warp streaching does do alot of damage!
'its the idea that counts, not the sound'
anywho!
i find with multitrack recording if you make a noise at the begging of each channel then line those up it should be fine!
also, put a bit of a gate on each channel for minimal noise smile

PDX

I think there should be a different thread for chip "mixing" techniques as opposed to "production," but I will throw this here (and assuming you aren't just leaving it raw and are mixing on a DAW):

* I find that mixing at (annoyingly) low volumes helps (if it sounds good low, you'll grin when you crank it up and it becomes "big" and warm, and hearing the high-mids of a blazing chip arpeggio come alive will make you appreciate how flaky your ears are and how little control you ultimately have on what your shit will sound like to the end user).
* I record, mix, and master at the same time
* Usually cut highs of track around 7-10K for a warmer sound that is less painful at higher volumes.
* the track usually sounds better to me if I compress channels and then very lightly compress the master
* mix the bass and drums lower than I think they should be (and hand the baton to car stereo/iPod/headphones loudness / compression)
* make about 5-10 trips to my car (and the cars of others) to check the low end
* headphones don't translate, as a rule
* Use near fields instead of sats and a sub unless you're prepared to spend 6 months getting used to them.
* Sit some cheap-ass computer speakers next to your monitors (I have some little Bose speakers from Target) and use them for reference too. Don't pat yourself on the back until your shit sounds good without two 8.5" drivers 2 feet away from you.

Edited for updated info

Last edited by RushCoil (Jul 2, 2010 12:20 am)

))<>((
Shonen_ wrote:

Record it RAW.
And then EQ it a bit to BOOST DA BASS.

this.

Austin, TX

I multitrack everything lately, synced manually to a reference point at the beginning and end of each track.
I have only had sync problems with songs 7:00+ minutes long w/ lots of tempo changes, but it worked well in the end.  MIDI is not needed.
This has been very fruitful, it allows for lots of tweaking.

Unsubscribe

multitrackers -  how do you deal with the noise floor buildup?

Austin, TX

@Herr_prof: prosound.  I do not notice noise at all in my mixes, no noise gate.

Milton Keynes, England
herr_prof wrote:

yeah pro-sound helps or just noise removal on each track before mixing.

Unsubscribe

I have prosunded gameboys and the noise still bothers me on multi tracks. Maybe im hoping for too much.

What noise removal stuff do you use? Waves xnoise is nice but its easy to wreck the sound of the game boy using it.

New York City
herr_prof wrote:

Izotope RX over a prosounded DMG.
Random introduced me to this awesome tool.
If you go too hard on it you will notice removal artifacts, but if you don't, it's magical.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 22, 2010 9:10 pm)

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩