São Paulo, Brazil

Hey folks,

I'm having a huge headache here with LGPT. I always used it with no problems at all, once I just made separate songs in separate files. But a few weeks ago I decided to make a set for playing live, just like I do with lsdj. And the problem is: after 15 to 20 minutes of jamming, the sound quality starts to get worse, like if it was downsampling, until it fades in and then returns at full volume and distortion! Yeah, really weird. This was on my GP2X. I tried changing the SD card, changing batteries, plugging in the power supply, getting the ghetto build... and it was the same.

So I tried this .dat file on my Dingoo and the same problem happened!

Don't know if this info helps, but the .dat file is 221kb and it's using 27 sample files (which together get 6mb of disk space).

Any light on this?

Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan

I don't know if this will help or not but I have had really weird problems with LGPT projects if they contained capital letters, are you using lower case only?

☺☺☺
Lazerbeat wrote:

I don't know if this will help or not but I have had really weird problems with LGPT projects if they contained capital letters, are you using lower case only?

that might be what my problem has been, thank you Lazerbeat! smile

São Paulo, Brazil
Lazerbeat wrote:

Damn! the file is "lgpt_SET"

I'll change it to lower case and post the results. Thanks!

Tokyo, Japan

Im not 100 percent sure that is the solution. I remember making projects on windows which wouldn't work on PSP piggy or vice versa and that was the reason why. Also I was having odd behavior which what seemed to solve.

Last edited by Lazerbeat (Feb 20, 2011 1:55 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil

Didn't work for me. But now, after playing the damn thing over and over I realized this problem happens when two instruments on different channels retrigger at the same time. Just deleted the RTRG in one of the channels and now looks like it's fine!

But thanks for the capital letters tip Lazerbeat, that's one thing less for me to worry about.

Tokyo, Japan

Hmmm, that might be a bug? We it two different instruments on 2 different channels or the same instrument re triggering on 2 channels?

São Paulo, Brazil
Lazerbeat wrote:

Hmmm, that might be a bug? We it two different instruments on 2 different channels or the same instrument re triggering on 2 channels?

Well, it was hard but looks like I've found what's going on. It wasn't a retrigger issue. It was an oscillator bass in another channel. I don't know why the hell, but I just stopped this oscillator instrument when the retrigger instruments (different ones) came and then it worked.

It was a normal osc. instrument, based on a sawtooth waveform. Even tried to change the waveform sample and the problem was still there.

Well, the lesson from this: gotta pay attention on osc. instruments! Specially when they can fuck you up 4 hours before a gig.

++

EDIT: I figured out that the osc. instrument was given way to a chain without instruments or notes on it. Just put a KILL command on this chain and it worked.

Last edited by PULSELOOPER (Feb 20, 2011 3:25 pm)

Brazil

As I talked to andré, might seem a phase issue, combined with distortion, feedback, downsampling and specially with cutoff/resonance. That happens with extreme manipulation of the parameters. It mix with the other sounds and kills your sound.

IL, US

phase cancellation can be a bitch

San Francisco

dont forget guys we are working with digital sample synthesis. how your samples mash together really makes a difference. also be careful with your file names. avoid using special symbols and what not. plain text is usually ok. i havent had issues with the capital letter thing myself tho. i have had issues with using percentage and pluses and all that other nonsense. dont know why its there really.

Last edited by wedanced (Feb 23, 2011 7:08 pm)

Brazil

oh, special chars are a totally DON'T DO IT. It always mess up. Caps are not the issue.

São Paulo, Brazil

thanks for the additional info, webdanced.

The sound problem was fixed with the kill command after the osc. instrument.

And the crashing that was going on my GP2X was also fixed with the ghetto build. Now it's 100% smile

San Francisco

sweeeeet good to hear.

Also.. be careful of "empty" notes on a just loaded project, before a sample has played - blasted my ears off a number of times because of this.. i guess it just puts out whatever is in that memory block, which more often than not is hideous harsh noise

(that is, notes with no instrument assigned)

Last edited by mk (Jul 12, 2011 2:38 am)