Corpus Christi, Texas

It seems like if you listen to this, you make it.
Is there anyone here who doesn't try to make it or am i alone?

Cambridge UK

I don't make it. And I'm proud of it. :3

Los Angeles

Yay users! smile

PDX

I know a lot of people that listen to it. There is a huge scene of non-collective people that listen to it, especially in Europe, Asia, etc. If you are having a discussion with someone and say "What were your favorite things when you were a kid," and they say "Chrono Trigger," "Evangelion," or "Magic Cards," they probably have some chip music on their computer. I don't think they necessarily know about the "scene." For instance, I know many, many people that have heard of 8 Bit Weapon, but they don't know what a "chiptune" is. Boy I use a lot of "quotes."

"

Seattle, WA

im kind of in between lol

Corpus Christi, Texas

Well, if they aren't aware of the 'scene', I am not counting them in my question. My question is directed at people who actively listen. People who know as little about waves and hats and all that technical jargon as I do. The type of people who say 'oh, that part at 1.34 where the song went all wobbly is cool" as opposed to "those triangle waves were banging."

GNV / FL / USA
koze wrote:

waves and hats and all that technical jargon

koze wrote:

those triangle waves were banging

PDX
NO CARRIER wrote:
koze wrote:

waves and hats and all that technical jargon

koze wrote:

those triangle waves were banging

I put on my robe and wizard hat

I don't make it. But I enjoy it smile

uhajdafdfdfa

I think 8bc (and possibly this forum too) tend to give off the impression of being a place for artists only - I once got flamed (at 8bc) for not having any tracks uploaded, hehe. There are surely a lot of people who do enjoy just listening to chiptunes, but they don't come to the forums as much because they have no desire to talk about "waves and hats and all that technical jargon".

Melbourne, Australia

I listened a lot now i'm starting to make them smile

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Only tried once in Future Composer (yeah, doesn't ring a bell for most i guess...) - but it was instantly clear that was going nowhere.
Was doing pixels for some time already then - soz i continued doing that.

New York City

Amen to koze. Keep on listening!
I find it pointless that most everyone that listens wants to make it, specially considering the generally low output of that.
It's like they go "hey that's easy, i just get this and that and i suck this and that ass then can play shows LOL OMG!" and  OMG i banged some arpeggio notes on LSDJ then uploaded to *BC and got mad props LOL AM ROCKS!!

A gray world of dread

I disagree. While it's true that this sentiment results in a lot of low-level work, that's just what everyone starts out with. I really like it that so many are encouraged to try it themselves, because picking any artform as a hobby is far better than slumping infront of a tv.

Plano, TX

I listened only for almost twenty years.

I know a few people who only listen to it.

G-Zom for sure only listens to chip-music.

Oh, and triangle waves are hella bangin'.