Wheeling, WV
SeanBad wrote:
trash80 wrote:

It would make a pretty badass lemur replacement for 1/6 the cost.

Run touchosc and you already pretty much have a lemur right? I haven't done alot of research but touchosc looks like it does the job.

This is kind of the point that I am making. With TouchOSC, you have a Lemur-esque app at a very miniscule size, which causes many many many limitations. Great, you have a few sliders and a few knobs at a tiny size. Whoop-de-fuckin-do.

iPad can use something like TouchOSC with the size and expandability of an actual Lemur for a tiny bit of the cost.

Also, anybody ever try the iPhone's pathetic grid controller apps? Thing about that with the size of the iPad. Bam. Touch screen grid controller.

I absolutely LOVE the music apps made for the iPhone. The issue is that I can hardly use them. This thing has huge possibilities for music.

I would honestly not use it for anything else, but with that size and what developers are doing now, I basically have the majority of things I have been saving up for in a nice little package for $500.

How can you guys possibly diss the potential of this?

southampton, uk
hotmess wrote:
SeanBad wrote:

Run touchosc and you already pretty much have a lemur right? I haven't done alot of research but touchosc looks like it does the job.

This is kind of the point that I am making. With TouchOSC, you have a Lemur-esque app at a very miniscule size, which causes many many many limitations. Great, you have a few sliders and a few knobs at a tiny size. Whoop-de-fuckin-do.

iPad can use something like TouchOSC with the size and expandability of an actual Lemur for a tiny bit of the cost.

Also, anybody ever try the iPhone's pathetic grid controller apps? Thing about that with the size of the iPad. Bam. Touch screen grid controller.

I absolutely LOVE the music apps made for the iPhone. The issue is that I can hardly use them. This thing has huge possibilities for music.

I would honestly not use it for anything else, but with that size and what developers are doing now, I basically have the majority of things I have been saving up for in a nice little package for $500.

How can you guys possibly diss the potential of this?

Sure, it has potential but it is still a massive disapointment. IMO Apple haven't released a tablet yet, I'm praying this is some kind of test prototype that they released.

Still waiting.

Los Angeles
dexter wrote:

Sure, it has potential but it is still a massive disapointment. IMO Apple haven't released a tablet yet, I'm praying this is some kind of test prototype that they released.
Still waiting.

If you bothered watching the silly ass keynote, you would of understood that they did not want to create a laptop without a keybaord, nor did they want to make a netbook, they want to create a whole new market that is a tween of smart phones and laptops. Some sort of "look at the internets, play music and videos, check email" like 90% of all computer users do. Which I guess there is a market for.

As for us who want a small sexy laptop that doesn't cost much and is powerful enough to do music and geek out on, it's not coming from apple, I'd put more faith in a hackentosh netbook. We are a minority I guess.
Fuck if they just released a modern 10" laptop I'd be happy.

Speaking of the iPaid, the GPU alone will probably run circles around a modern netbook. I can't wait to see if some interesting interfaces for music creation develop.

Last edited by Trash80 (Jan 28, 2010 9:24 am)

astral cat

is this thing meant to be something you can carry around?

southampton, uk
trash80 wrote:
dexter wrote:

Still waiting.

If you bothered watching the silly ass keynote, you would of understood that they did not want to create a laptop without a keybaord, nor did they want to make a netbook, they want to create a whole new market that is a tween of smart phones and laptops. Some sort of "look at the internets, play music and videos, check email" like 90% of all computer users do. Which I guess there is a market for.

As for us who want a small sexy laptop that doesn't cost much and is powerful enough to do music and geek out on, it's not coming from apple, I'd put more faith in a hackentosh netbook. We are a minority I guess.
Fuck if they just released a modern 10" laptop I'd be happy.

Speaking of the iPaid, the GPU alone will probably run circles around a modern netbook. I can't wait to see if some interesting interfaces for music creation develop.

I'd like to see GTA: San Andreas played on one of these  (basicaly the only thing i do on my netbook)

WOW MAN!

Me, I'm in the "this thing has massive potential" camp.

As a digital music player (it's like a massively more sexy Squeezebox), as a portable movie player, as a seriously fucking good touch screen controller, an eBook reader to rule them all.

It's the future. big_smile

New York City

I still don't see what this can do that an iPod Touch can't. Is it a GPU difference only? Well, ho-hum. Without any expansion possibilities (for fuck's sake, put an USB port there. ONE) it's pretty useless. As said, with TouchOSC you can already do the Lemur thing.

Los Angeles
neilbaldwin wrote:

Me, I'm in the "this thing has massive potential" camp.

As a digital music player (it's like a massively more sexy Squeezebox), as a portable movie player, as a seriously fucking good touch screen controller, an eBook reader to rule them all.

It's the future. big_smile

I think all us developer/programmer types see it as having potential. smile

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:

I still don't see what this can do that an iPod Touch can't. Is it a GPU difference only? Well, ho-hum. Without any expansion possibilities (for fuck's sake, put an USB port there. ONE) it's pretty useless. As said, with TouchOSC you can already do the Lemur thing.

It's got a big fucking screen. smile  That alone changes what is possible when compared to the ipod.

Edit: What happens if this sells really well and they are successful? I can imagine a whole new PC market creating similar products, with USB and memory ports, people running Linux on them, prices being comparable with netbooks. etc. What happens if its fail? no big deal.
Really the only problem I see with this product is what was mentioned on createdigitalmusic.com I just don't see any other reason why people should be irritated, annoyed, or pissed off about this product.

Last edited by Trash80 (Jan 28, 2010 8:46 pm)

São Paulo, Brazil

wasn't for final cut, I would be using PC untill today. fuck apple.

New York City
trash80 wrote:

Edit: What happens if this sells really well and they are successful?

They WILL sell well. A lot of fucktards just buy anything with an Apple slapped on it.

However, Apple's attitude regarding development will remain, this will still be a closed platform, with content, both software and media, controlled by Apple.
And that's fucked up. Apple has become worse than Microsoft. This is where I can't see how developers can like this closed platform!

Why am I "pissed off"? Because I was a supporter of the brand for a bunch of time and all they have given me in return is poor quality products every year. My iBook G3 is much better than my girlfriend's MacBook in terms of construction, durability etc. The Apple line has turned from a great, stable, durable line of products for professionals that are into design, into a fucking crap that breaks more than any PC made for a market full of   stupid people who pay for branding.

That aside, I still agree wholeheartedly with what was said at CDM.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Jan 28, 2010 9:25 pm)

Cambridge UK

Totes agree with you Akira :

my clamshell and iLamp are almost 10 years old and are running steadily non-stop like swiss watches.
The MacBook? it's falling apart and it's not even 3 years old. Had problems with OS X, switched it to Ubuntu... but running a Mac on Ubuntu?! Yeah, I just bought myself a new PC laptop.

There's been a BIG quality drop since the switch from PowerPC to Intel. (Not saying it's Intel at all, just...maybe a change in Apple's philosophy : lowering the prices a lil bit and the quality a huge lot?)

New York City

My iBook G3 is better constructed and has a betetr looking screen than my ibook G4 (this one's screen has random different brightness spots since i bought it and i noticed in others too), which is better constructed than my gf's Macbook.
It has nothing to do with Intel, Apple has been decreasing quality of their products for a while now.

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:

However, Apple's attitude regarding development will remain, this will still be a closed platform, with content, both software and media, controlled by Apple.
And that's fucked up. Apple has become worse than Microsoft. This is where I can't see how developers can like this closed platform!

Right. Well I for one don't have a choice. The applications that I use on OSX fucking rule. Secondly Windows as a operating system for the music tech professional who wants every drop of horsepower and solid device drivers, completely fails. Yeah I could run a hackintosh, but we know that only in specific cases with specific hardware most things work pretty well.  Otherwise something work ok, and some just don't work at all.

The Bronx

I wonder if it'll get so hot that touching the screen would burn off a person's fingerprints.

Cambridge UK
akira^8GB wrote:

It has nothing to do with Intel, Apple has been decreasing quality of their products for a while now.

Exactly what I said, but I believe the curve has gotten worse about 3-4 years ago (which matches the switch to Intel, but is not related to Intel. They're good processor IMO...it's the flimsy surroundings they've been put in.)