TSSBAY01

a whole genre of people trying their hardest to figure out how to perform their music live

NC in the US of America
tempsoundsolutions wrote:

a whole genre of people trying their hardest to figure out how to perform their music live

Seems like they've got it figured out pretty well?

Portland, ME

All my music is washed out with guitar fx, so I've developed my own brand of chungaze-ing.

Warwickshire, UK

I've got my first chiptune gig for 20 years in September, and I'm performing it on the violin (blending MIDI, generated by the violin, with processed violin sounds), and the set works really well. There's nothing quite like actually performing with an instrument, especially the improvising aspect to it.

Playboy Man-Baby
jerkemy wrote:

The general public will probably always assume that you're just pressing play no matter what you do. Even if you play guitar and run around, people are going to ask stuff like "so what video games do you get your samples from?"

I almost feel like giving a preamble speech before I play about what LSDJ is and how I make music, but that'd be kind of silly.

Necrothread whatever, it's a perennial chipmusic issue

Whenever my friends and I go chipbusking, we put out a big, straightforward, brightly coloured sign AND we incrementally remind the crowds that it's live, not samples, etc. Sounds like overkill. Unfortunately isn't.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Jul 20, 2013 7:34 pm)

NC in the US of America
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:
jerkemy wrote:

The general public will probably always assume that you're just pressing play no matter what you do. Even if you play guitar and run around, people are going to ask stuff like "so what video games do you get your samples from?"

I almost feel like giving a preamble speech before I play about what LSDJ is and how I make music, but that'd be kind of silly.

Necrothread whatever, it's a perennial chipmusic issue

Whenever my friends and I go chipbusking, we put out a big, straightforward, brightly coloured sign AND we incrementally remind the crowds that it's live, not samples, etc. Sounds like overkill. Unfortunately isn't.

Isn't the word "chipbusking" a bit excessive? It reminds me of "It's a good thing I brought my empty alphabet soup batcontainer" and "Wow, this weighs a Mega-ton!".

Do people say "ukubusking" or "guitbusking" or "saxbusking"? It just seems so odd.

Playboy Man-Baby
SketchMan3 wrote:
Invisible Robot Hands wrote:

Isn't the word "chipbusking" a bit excessive? It reminds me of "It's a good thing I brought my empty alphabet soup batcontainer" and "Wow, this weighs a Mega-ton!".

Do people say "ukubusking" or "guitbusking" or "saxbusking"? It just seems so odd.

I just kind of started saying it and we started using the term to differentiate between busking with guitars and with Game Boys. Whatever.

Last edited by Invisible Robot Hands (Jul 21, 2013 4:05 am)

Kyle, Tx

Do what DeadMau5 does and hit play... then nod your head to the music ocasionally turning a knob on your mixer that does nothing. Most of DeadMau5's stuff is prerecorded. But I think its the giant Mau5 head that does the audience in. As for me when I used to preform (not chiptune) I didnt have a big roll so I would act and wear a comedy tragedy mask.

next week: how to profit from arps in your chiptune business.

4mat wrote:

next week: how to profit from arps in your chiptune business.

ok start a pure pulse tone going

imagine that's your portfolio

now add the command J38

you have now literally diversified your portfolio

OH NOES MY .SAV!

Brunswick, GA USA

That's what insurance is for.

and this just goes to show yet again, it all comes back to stockwave.

Ottawa, Ontario
Crooked Sidewalks wrote:

What options do I have?

20 minutes of non-stop shitwave or whipping your hair

Warwickshire, UK

Here's a recording from the FOH desk of the live version of Nicotine Pang. I decided to play the entire set on electric violin rather than go down the DJ route, as the violin is in my comfort zone. I think it all went down quite well in the end smile

The only thing I need to remember moving forwards is that jumping up and down doesn't help with your tuning wink

https://soundcloud.com/marktdkknight/ni … ng-live-at

Wisconsin, USA

I am new to the tracker world, so far I have been using nintendo D.S.' running Korg ds10+ and Rytmik, but I felt the same way when I started doing live shows. I eventually incorporated a kp3 kaoss pad, a sampling keyboard, and a monotribe to the live shows to add performance value and to make sure the live show was different than listening to downloads. I keep switching up the samples for different shows and the effects and monotribe are always improvised.Not saying you would need to do all of that, but an external effects processor and some samples are great ways to add the "live" to the show. There is no chiptune scene where I live, so I have to try to create a really interesting show to keep peoples attention (and I'm usually playing with experimental artist of some sort, rap shows, or dj shows). I had made a point of keeping a computer out of my shows because people kept thinking I was a dj, Now that I'm starting to use trackers though, I was thinking of using a projector with the screen and maybe doing some  wave manipulation with the draw function (milkytracker). Hope any of this helps.
Here is an example: running song out of ds with rytmik, doing samples, fx, and analogue synth live(ish, edited in samples for recording but trigger live during shows).
https://soundcloud.com/3rd-st-basement-dweller/intro