Miami, FL

http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/20 … tions.html

All hail Google!

))<>((

how about they completely phase out IE in general? tongue

New York City

Y E S

York, Yorkshire

It's really not up to Google is it?  They're stopping support for IE6 as they want to adapt HTML5 for their apps.  Fair enough. 

But it's the bluechips who are the problem.  For them it's a multimillion expenditure to move internal systems from IE6 to a newer browser.  That's why Microsoft themselves are still supporting IE6 and will be for quite a few years.   MS make a lot of their money from the bluechips, so they're not going to upset them by dropping support and leaving them in the lurch with an unsupported platform. if they just dropped support like that, it woudl mean some businesses (such as FDA regulated companies) would have to cease trading.

The bluechips need to pull their fingers out and upgrade to Win7/IE8 which realisticly they won't do till SP1.

I know IE6 is a nightmare for web devs and designers, so i totally understand. But getting rid of IE6 just isn't viable yet.

Cambridge UK

Why is Google ALWAYS ignoring Opera?

A gray world of dread

Good question, but then, Opera is always ignored. By everyone. I guess it still has a reputation as being clumsy and geeky? It's not true in the slightest, but obviously people still work with false assumptions if they're using IE6! It's probably the same problem Linux suffers from.

BitPop is right. Companies are the most sluggish things when it comes to software updates, we still have customers with freaking NT4 servers. Even if they want to update, company policy is often in the way. Upgrading is expensive.

As to Google making that formal proclamation, it does carry some weight, if only for the massive influence Google has. They probably want to kick IE6 out for pushing their online application services (which was why they put Chrome out in the first place), which is something MS doesn't want because it's threatening them in the long run.

New York City
George wrote:

ignoring Opera?

Ignoring what?
wink

Finland

Fuck yes this hopefully makes my days at work slightly easier..

York, Yorkshire

Good point muB, let's not foget that Microsoft and Google aren't exactly best buddies after the recent IE8 exploit :s

Miami, FL

I like IE8, granted it's still behind the rest of the modern browsers, it's somewhat standards compliant and I can live with that.

I feel like it's ridiculous to support an internet browser for over 10 years, specially nowadays where technology is moving so fast and upgrading has become easier/cheaper.

Also, more good news: Firefox is now mobile! http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/mobile/

Philly, PA, USA

i say we leave this to evolution, anyone too stubborn or stupid to upgrade from IE6 just gets left behind on the internet, chances are they don't really know how to use it anyway.

A gray world of dread

See above! As long as companies, governments and public services aren't forced into upgrading, they won't (too expensive, our 1992 apps won't work anymore, you don't want to browse at work anyways). And every web developer has to consider that, especially those in business. Plus, every exploitable system is a potential spam zombie, which is affecting everyone.

Norwich / London

who even uses internet explorer anyway its shit!

))<>((
pixls wrote:

i say we leave this to evolution, anyone too stubborn or stupid to upgrade from IE6 just gets left behind on the internet, chances are they don't really know how to use it anyway.

this.

in general, I think anyone choosing to use IE doesn't know better.

NYC

Its great that it is ending IE but seriously im beginning to be believe that google might become the next kinda microsoft in a way.  I mean they own there own power company in a small town to off set power costs for themselves... to me it seems a bit strange.

Minneapolis

Well, Google can't quite go the Microsoft route yet, because they aren't directly charging for their products, only making money via ads. And unlike Microsoft, they don't have an OEM-distribution fueled monopoly of the market, and probably never will. The only possibly problematic thing is with "cloud computing" which to me seems like a quantum leap backwards into the days of dumb terminals and mainframes. Which is cool for all the retrocomputing nerds, except it's not retro and whenever the "cloud" goes down everyone will be screwed.

However, I do agree that Google has the makings to become a dominant predatory software house like Microsoft. Right now about the only thing I can find fault with Google for is the way they treat their employees. (Like indentured servants, that's how.)