New York City
low-gain wrote:

There are some hardcore fans of .sid files out there that would gladly purchase this because they want to hear it on a real sid.

Sorry, but I know these people (The HVSC guys) and they all use real machines of different SID types. Kind of hard imagining them shelling this cash for this thing.

Last edited by akira^8GB (Feb 4, 2010 5:26 pm)

Sweden

You guys talking about it not being for musicians: You are forgetting that this supports the majority of music software written specifically for the SID through WinVICE. I think that it's an excellent choice for a musician who enjoys working with trackers. Benefits over using built-in emulation in the emulator include low latency audio playback and accurate sound, and benefits over using a real C64 include the lack of background noise and not having to rely too much on fragile hardware.

It would be nice to somehow use the DLL with Processing. I know it's possible, but I'd have to learn how first.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
rumpelfilter wrote:

But still... right now the only low cost alternative to the Hardsid 4U Studio version is either the SammichSID (if you don't count building a Midibox SID from scratch) and that involves a bit of work (which I don't mind, but still) or MSSIAH (and that's not really portable without some modding).
This whole discussion makes me thing that there is one thing that I would really love to see (and have)... and that's a small portable device like the Hardsid, with pots for tweaking the sound like on a Midibox SID, and that doesn't cost too much...

Midibox sid wouldn't cost very much...

i think $300-500 is a very fair price considering the other options available.
Take a look around for Arduino tutorials as well.. sure there's someone who's doing the legwork and giving it away for free. haha

Unsubscribe

Doesn't cost much, if your time is worthless tongue, and you have the skill.

Anyways with vst support, the point is moot and it compares more with something like the c64ctpc cable, or something like mmc64... in that case its not better in size but is much smaller, and probably quieter!

Los Angeles
low-gain wrote:

Actually i would guess that if the price is right.. any c64 music (on these forums... perhaps 8bitweapon) would want this.

And I do! My SIDstation is fucked from a drunk swiss guy smashing it at a gig, so it cant run sid files like when it was new. I have sent it back 3 times for various problems and its still not right. sad

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Feb 4, 2010 6:32 pm)

Italy
low-gain wrote:

sure there's someone who's doing the legwork and giving it away for free

When I say cheap, I mean cheaper than the Sidstation. I don't expect anybody to give anything away for free. Actually I think the price they charge for the Hardsid 4U is ok... It's not what I call cheap, but I think it's probably worth that money (never seen one live). The problem with the hardsid is that it's more aimed to the studio use (that's why they call it "Studio" and why it has vst) than live use.
I don't think vst would be that important to have if the device had some easy hardware controls on it. On the other hand that's also probably a price point.
And I agree with herr_prof, Midibox is great, but it needs a lot of time and skill to make one of those boxes...

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

I'd say the midibox stuff is pretty easy provided there was a better explanation of how to put it together. like.. an idiot's guide. cuz a lot of it lends itself easier to those who already understand electronics.

I think there is a way of explaining how to build it with out knowing much about electronics.. "you need this, plug this here, solder this hear.. program this and this.. and you're done." type thing.  when i build mine. maybe i'll turn it into a simple guide to building a base midibox system.

New York City

Midibox, build it, then what? Interfacing with it is a pain in the balls. A major one.
That was the beauty of the HardSID VST interface.

Los Angeles
akira^8GB wrote:

Midibox, build it, then what? Interfacing with it is a pain in the balls. A major one.
That was the beauty of the HardSID VST interface.

It's not that bad, there is a software editor for it. I'm working on a max for live patch myself. smile

England

just sent the funds for the HardSID UPlay, I'll let you know how I get on.

im getting it with the 8580 and my brother has a bunch of dead c64s that i can hopefully rob of their 6581s

Unsubscribe

Sweet.. post audio and thoughts when you get it!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA
herr_prof wrote:

Sweet.. post audio and thoughts when you get it!