Roanoke, Virginia, USA

I wanted to point something out regarding CC licensing and some of it's misconceptions.

It's an issue that has become a bit of a problem inasmuch as it appears to, in the end, discourage ANY commercial use at all of the music licensed as CC.

Over the years some of my  CC licensed  Receptors  tracks have been used for non-commercial projects, I assume at least in part due to it's Creative Commons licensing tag, which outlines their availabilty for non-commercial use without permission. One or two of these projects that used the tracks  made it past beta stages or early versions to eventually become a commercial endeavor, which is great, but..

I have noticed in these now- commercial projects that the developers assume they then need  a whole new soundtrack because the CC  songs were' non-commercial .   

I wanted to make clear that with all CC licenses, it doesn't disclude the ability for commercial use as long as the artist is contacted and you get agreement from the artist to do so, of course where some sort of payment may or may not be needed for said artist.

In other words misconceptions about CC  could end up punishing the musicians who were nice enough to have CC work online, when and if a project gets to the point of being commercial.

Of course if someone I disagreed morally or politically wrote me and asked if they could use it, I could say no. But indeed if one was contacted for use in an industry one supported, OF COURSE one could and would have the freedom to say , 'yes go ahead and use my CC track for your commercial use."

CC is mainly intended for the ease of online distribution without permission when no commercial use is involved. So please remember that all it takes is asking the artist first and commercial use is still possible. CC is really just a license beyond any other licensing or (c) copyrights.

The chipmusic community in particular needs to make these things clear since easily 95% or more is all up as CC.

I'm not saying the problem is with CC itself, just the misconception of it's guidelines, due mostly, imo , to it's wording.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/jeremy-ko … 3800885846

Last edited by Receptors (Jan 18, 2012 7:19 am)

Sweden

XXX-posting from facebook:

A larger part of the problem is probably that a commercial game developer will most likely want exclusive rights to the music for their game to have an "original soundtrack," in which case CC-licensed tracks are useless to them. Once you have published under a CC license, you can't easily revoke the distribution rights you've granted everyone.

My advice is not to CC license your music. Even if you are not able to enforce the copyright easily, you're at least not (necessarily) explicitly handing out rights to the left and right. All the rights you're giving away are at the expense of your own. Retaining full copyright, you have more minute control over who does what with your track, and unlike maintaining a trademark, you can let infringements slip whenever you feel it's appropriate.