nashville,tn

hi all, im just about to start recording my new full length....so i was curious what everyone else's thoughts are on recording with gameboys. i've done some stuff direct with a tape four track in the past, but im wondering if anyone has experimented with recording their stuff via mic'ing amps: bass, guitar etc or combinations of amps and direct methods. seems like the bass response would be drastically different when mic'ing an amp.

Last edited by sugar sk*-*lls (Jan 27, 2012 8:53 pm)

Yeah; for quality reasons I'd recommend a direct recording; then you can use DSP effects if you want in post production.

Unsubscribe

This is probably the best example of dmg re-amping

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Covox/Infiltrator/

Florida

Both can wield incredible results depending on what you're going for. Sometimes diving into stuff like this without any advice can be a catalyst for creativity. :0)

Madison, Alabama
Jay Tholen wrote:

Both can wield incredible results depending on what you're going for. Sometimes diving into stuff like this without any advice can be a catalyst for creativity. :0)

Like he said, just give it a whirl and see what you come up with.

IL, US

I amped my midines and piggy on the EP that came out on datathrash last week, called "in service of the pig"

Brisbane
e.s.c. wrote:

I amped my midines and piggy on the EP that came out on datathrash last week, called "in service of the pig"

I'm going to check that out today.

being able to play the music back almost identically each time, there'd be opportunity to record in different rooms and mic set ups to get some cool layered sounds.

nashville,tn

cool beans and thanks! i've experimented a ton over the years, with analog vs. digital, mic vs. direct etc not just with dmg's but with all kinds of instruments. with dmg's i was curious if anyone had ever tried both, and was then happier with one over another and their reasons why. im not doing my usual many hats thing(musician,engineer,producer thing) but having someone else do the leg work, so play around time is something i'd like to keep to a minimum smile ... in any case prof awesome and e.s.c. thanx for tha links, good stuff!! probably the best response is just to listen to different approaches. space does this alchemic thing to the sound for sure

IL, US

im glad i dont go too far down the well of different posibilities for amps and mic placement, between me and my roommate, there are 2 cabs (sunn 212LH & marshall MG 412A), 3 guitar amps (crate GX-1200H, vox mini 3, squier champ15) a bass amp (behringer ultrabass bx300) &  PA head (shure vocal master).. pretty sure i'd still be recording... stuck with the crate head & the sunn cab

nashville,tn

@e.s.c.:exactly. a long fall it is. did you use the bass amps exclusively? the mid and highs are dirty but not lost, what kind of room did you record in?.... im thinking about running one signal through multiple sources.....maybe overloading the bass freq. through a bass cab and then using a guitar amp to accentuate the mids and highs..

IL, US

nope, the crate amp is a guitar head...the extra low end comes from the loaded horn design of the sunn cab..its also close to a 50/50 mix of clean direct signal and the distorted guitar amp...the room is this one

about all thats on the other end of the room is a full size bed, chicago tends to have tiny
the way i worked it was that i had the aux2 from the mixer running to crate head sitting sideways in the upper left corner, the clean signal hard panned left, the amp right...hardest part was getting the eq right at each step (the aux send was post eq, then the eq on the amp, then the eq on the mic input, then the eq per channel when mixing in software, then the master eq for final mastering...).. the tiniest change in the eq on the clean signal could drastically change how the recorded amp signal came out

nashville,tn

ah.... interesting, i've found myself favoring guitar amps over bass amps in live settings. i just assume because of the freq. one can get with chip-music timbres bass amps would be better suited. doesn't seem to be the case necessarily.
btw. fun set up. hours of sounds to explore me thinks

San Francisco
sugar sk*-*lls wrote:

ah.... interesting, i've found myself favoring guitar amps over bass amps in live settings. i just assume because of the freq. one can get with chip-music timbres bass amps would be better suited. doesn't seem to be the case necessarily.
btw. fun set up. hours of sounds to explore me thinks

I agree, I experimented with an older fender bass amp and it never had that crispy richness that my guitar amps tend to have. It's weird but I actually really enjoy playing through a guitar amp. My typical setup is
DMG > Kaosspad > mixer > amp/pa whatnot.

rochester, ny
e.s.c. wrote:

the room is this one

just gunna stare at this pic for a while...