Norfolk, VA
Apeshit wrote:

In moderation I'm sure there won't be much, if any noticable damage. Albeit, it sounds like you removed the polish from the plastic.

That seems to be the case, at least on the Greys. As far as removing the text on Clearboys, I can fully understand why that would come off, since there's no texture for the paint to sink into, and it essentially just sits on the clearboy's case surface, correct?

If you wouldn't mind, I'm interested in what that patch of texture-less casing looks like. Just want to see how how severe it is, compared to what these cases look like after scrubbing them:

http://imgur.com/sACxk,drXmF,h5lg2#0

Care to upload a photo for me? smile

(Mind you, I don't want to clutter up your thread. Perhaps there's an alternate place we could discuss this?)

Monkeymook wrote:

I can fully understand why that would come off, since there's no texture for the paint to sink into, and it essentially just sits on the clearboy's case surface, correct?

Well no, the text isn't paint. It more so "penetrates" the surface instead of "sitting" on it. Which is more so what paint does.

Monkeymook wrote:

If you wouldn't mind, I'm interested in what that patch of texture-less casing looks like. Just want to see how how severe it is, compared to what these cases look like after scrubbing them:

http://imgur.com/sACxk,drXmF,h5lg2#0

Care to upload a photo for me? smile

(Mind you, I don't want to clutter up your thread. Perhaps there's an alternate place we could discuss this?)

Feel free to discuss all you'd like here, that's what the thread is for. It's not like it's irrelevant or anything.

You'll have to take my word on the removed texture. I can't really be bothered to sort through the dozens of shells I have kicking around...

Last edited by Apeshit (Aug 27, 2012 3:02 am)

Norfolk, VA
Apeshit wrote:

Well no, the text isn't paint. It more so "penetrates" the surface instead of "sitting" on it. Which is more so what paint does.

Is it ink? Is there an easy/economical way to re-apply/touch up the text if it's ever removed/altered?

Apeshit wrote:

You'll have to take my word on the removed texture. I can't really be bothered to sort through the dozens of shells I have kicking around...

Understood. I'm still looking forward to any updates for your original tutorial on this thread. I've got a million different cleaning solvents, and an entire arsenal of modification tools, so if you ever want some help or need some photos or don't have the time to get a project complete, I'd be happy to help.

Last edited by Monkeymook (Aug 27, 2012 3:08 am)

+1 to apeshit, great guide!

Tempe, AZ

How should I go about getting rid of battery corrosion by soaking the terminals in vinegar?

Austin, Texas

Take the terminals out and put them in a small cup of vinegar. There are spring pins on the side of the battery case that is on the inside of the Game Boy that you have to depress to slide them out. If the corrosion isn't too bad, you can just get a cotton swab soaked in vinegar and apply it to the corrosion lightly.

Tempe, AZ
Telerophon wrote:

Take the terminals out and put them in a small cup of vinegar. There are spring pins on the side of the battery case that is on the inside of the Game Boy that you have to depress to slide them out. If the corrosion isn't too bad, you can just get a cotton swab soaked in vinegar and apply it to the corrosion lightly.

THANKS smile
I had tried scrubbing the unit from the outside with a toothbrush and vinagar. Got alot of it off. Theres still some there and the unit still will not power on. I havnt taken it apart yet but Im about to run to radio shack really quick and grab a triwing so I can open this thing. Do you think the lil corrosion left over is causing the problem or do I have internal issues? Ive yet to peek at the inside. But a more through clean is on the way once I grab a tri-wing.

Austin, Texas

Ehhh, that's not really something I could say. There are a million things that could be wrong inside of the Game Boy that would prevent it from turning on.

That said, you want to remove as much corrosion as you practically can. Corrosion is a chemical reaction with the metal and substances in the environment. The products of the corrosion need to be removed to limit the continuation of that chemical reaction. For example, rust is a form of corrosion; to stop something from rusting, you want to remove as much of the rust as you can, and then remove the item from the rust-inducing environment.

› Show Spoiler

Last edited by Telerophon (Oct 12, 2012 6:21 am)

Tempe, AZ
Telerophon wrote:

Ehhh, that's not really something I could say. There are a million things that could be wrong inside of the Game Boy that would prevent it from turning on.

That said, you want to remove as much corrosion as you practically can. Corrosion is a chemical reaction with the metal and substances in the environment. The products of the corrosion need to be removed to limit the continuation of that chemical reaction. For example, rust is a form of corrosion; to stop something from rusting, you want to remove as much of the rust as you can, and then remove the item from the rust-inducing environment.

› Show Spoiler

Thanks wink

Tempe, AZ

Ok so I was finally able to clean all of the corrosion with vinagar. After letting it dry on my fridge I finally got it to turn on. However, I have no display. I do have sound though. I've yet to take a look at the inside but do you think this is due to bad connects or some sort of corrosion I could clean? Are there any actions I can take before swaping out the front board with a working fully working front board?

EDIT:The screen does kinda flicker when switch the power

Last edited by TeddyBearCedenski (Oct 12, 2012 11:41 am)

Freiburg, Germany

I'm really interested in the section about how to disassemble the DMG but it's not done yet. Does anyone here know a good photo or video guide, especially regarding the best way to dis- and reconnect the ribbon cable? I've read that's the trickiest part and I want to be prepared when my tri-wing arrives.

United Kingdom
lastfuture wrote:

I'm really interested in the section about how to disassemble the DMG but it's not done yet. Does anyone here know a good photo or video guide, especially regarding the best way to dis- and reconnect the ribbon cable? I've read that's the trickiest part and I want to be prepared when my tri-wing arrives.

Hi, I  created a guide years ago of how to install a backlight in a DMG. However, please bear on mind the guide was created years ago(grammar is probably  horrid as well) and ported to this forum. If you find this guide useful then that's Awesome. Below is the link:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/282/b … ight-kits/

Just wanted to comment and say resources like this take a lot of time to do but are invaluable to people starting out modding. Thanks for taking the time.

Seattle, WA

I can't mod for shit but these threads are always a fun read.

Last edited by Apeshit (Jul 17, 2019 12:19 am)

That's a sweet tutorial! Very professional looking. Just thought I would throw my $.02 in there because I worked with the same exact cables haha and maybe it could help some people out.

1. To pull the rubber sleeve off the housing I inserted a small tipped standard screwdriver into the two holes in the housing. There are two fins that you can then push inward to flatten them out. Afterwards the housing comes off with little to no effort. Then you can push them back out when you pull the black plastic pin housing off.

2. On the DMG connector for removing the black plastic piece that houses the pins I actually used a small paperclip that I shoved in through the empty pin holes and used that to pull the whole section out. If you're opening the GBC connector I was able to pull it off with my fingers haha.

3. Since pins 1 and 2 get shorted on the GBC connector after swapping pins in the DMG connector, I pulled out pin 2 on the GBC connector and cut it. Then wrapped the two different wires together on the other end and soldered them both to the PS/2 connector.

I don't know how much easier any of these steps make it, but that's what worked best for me if anyone else was interested.