Tokyo, Japan

I have started a series of FM synthesis tutorial videos. yay me!

Pt1 - Envelopes
Pt2 - Carriers & Modulators & a basic kick drum
Pt3 - Feedback / Hi Hats
Pt4 - Decay Rate / Sustain Level

Upcoming stuff
- multipliers
- operators/snares
- Better percussion
- Faking filters
- different algorithms and why yamaha are a pain in the arse.

If you have any questions, ideas, corrections, requests, let me know.

I got loads of information on FM from
This talk by virt.
Little-scales excellent doumentation for the MD interface.
The sadly defunct Soundshock boards.
Shiru's VGM maker and its manual.
Louis Gorenfeld's getting started with FM
This Sonicstate video

Original Post:
A while back I did a little tutorial series on Nanoloop 2.3 tutorial series on the youtubes which people seemed to think was pretty helpful. I found it fun an educational and I have been thinking about doing another one on FM synthesis, partly cause i want to learn more about it and partly because there are some exciting new and upcoming FM tools about (gimic, little-scales MD interface, VGM Maker, Deflmask).

A lot of the information i have found on the internet about FM synthesis seems either "just experiment" at one end or "hardcore math" at the other. Not much in the "I want to make a kick drum, where do i start?" area. So, would people be up for this or is it a bit too niche?

I am about to move house so I probably won't start on this for a month and I am not a Hizmi, Alex mauer, utabi, virt level genius by any means at all but I might be able to help some people out!

Last edited by Lazerbeat (Mar 22, 2012 8:07 am)

hardcore, Australia

Yes please. I know pselodux will agree.

ad-hell-aide

I am into this idea.

Lazerbeat, you have a great way of explaining things (of course) and your attention to detail is second to none. So there is no need to shit on yourself before you even start! big_smile I know that this will be great, and will be of great use to many.

Tokyo, Japan

Sorry! i forgot a to add a pertinent question, are there specific things people would want to know about?

also <3s to seb and gip

Texas

I want this. I definitely want this. I need a tutorial on this. All my waveforms sound the same.

hardcore, Australia

I want to learn to make more than just bell sounds.

ad-hell-aide

Of particular interest to me are drum sounds.

Specifically your drum sounds, Lazerbeat.

Give me your drum sounds.

Tokyo, Japan

I gave you my drum sounds!

South Dakota

Oh hell yes!

.FILTHadelphia

I've been wanting to get into FM synthesis since I started making chip music so I'd be interested for sure.

Washington / California

I'm interested

Sydney AUS

I'm confident with bass, but I struggle getting punchy drums. Can your first series be on drums?

Melbourne
godinpants wrote:

Yes please. I know pselodux will agree.

Fuck yes! I've experimented with FM synthesis on and off over the years but never really got anything decent out of it.

Lazerbeat wrote:

Sorry! i forgot a to add a pertinent question, are there specific things people would want to know about?

also <3s to seb and gip

Like everyone else said, drums would be great. If you feel like a challenge, any insight into making Autechre-quality sounds (say, LP5 era) would be absolutely amazing.

buffalo, NY

Here's an old video Virt did, very basic

Tokyo, Japan

Wow, lotta love for this idea! ok I am totally going to do this! If anyone has any requests or anything i will totally note them down.

@danimal that virt video was one of the very first things I really "got" while learning FM!

New York City

Yes man, you gotta do this!!! I'll be watching wink