UK

Hm, what makes you say so?

Hi all

first i like to say that i don't do any music, i do not have the skill, i use to do a little, when i was testing my programs.

i think one of the reason the sound on a fm sound card, was so flat, was that the programmers, did not use many software filters, they only use the hardware fetures, if you programmed the opl2 / opl3 right you could get some really power full drums, i think the hard part was to make great sounding High hats.
here is a little sample that two of my friends did i my opl2/opl3 editor, i is sampled from a real ym724 chip

Btw the way the output is a little noisy, i had a hard time get the old card running again smile

https://rapidshare.com/files/3545184770/ms_foster.mp3

Last edited by fedepede04 (Mar 16, 2012 1:20 pm)

A gray world of dread
firebrandboy wrote:

Hm, what makes you say so?

The diode ring and the transformers. I'm a total amateur when it comes to circuitry, but I could imagine that this setup does a bit of crosstalk. That's really just a wild guess on my part though.

µB wrote:
shizcake wrote:

could you explain in what way the modifier is modifying the carrier?
i mean from an analog synth's perspective, is the modifier basically a LFO in audio range patched to pitch

Yes, although there is the alternative of 'patching it' to phase, which has a very similar effect.

to the VCA

That would be AM (=Amplitude Modulation). AM effects actually sound somewhat similar to FM, but it's still distinctly different. Combine AM + FM ftw!

is it ringmodded

No, ringmods work differently. I have to confess I'm not exactly sure how (I think it's a type of AM?).

i the case of a FM-synthesizer you have 2 parts, the carrier and the modulations.
if you use AM-modulation on the carrier it will sound like tremolo fx, but if you use it on the modulations, it will change the Wave form.

reject of nintendoage

just watched virt's presentation, great stuff! should have done this before asking questions smile
i liked how he rickrolled everybody big_smile

in my experience - which is little - the "individual quirks" are there, but still a ringmod always sounds like a ringmod. Much like a LPF always sounds like a LPF. Different manufacturers/designs produce different sound, but the effect is always recognisable.

crosstalk is the thing that is really pissing everyone off when diy-ing ringmods btw. Prolly the reason the moog MF-102 is 300 bucks....

fedepede04: nice lead sounds and thanks! will have to experiment smile

Last edited by shizcake (Mar 16, 2012 2:25 pm)

thanks

New York City

Nice one! Thank you David!

Tokyo, Japan

Thanks Akira! Fixed the second video sound.

New York City

WHAT DO YOU THINK IS GONNA HAPPEN, PUNK!

Sweden
µB wrote:

From what I get from Wikipedia articles (german and english), ring modulation seems to be a simple multiplication function. However, I could imagine that this effect has very individual quirks in analog synths due to the parts involved.

Nerd sidenote #666: The ring mod on the SID is produced by xor:ing the oscillator outputs together smile

shizcake wrote:

from an analog synth's perspective, is the modifier basically a LFO in audio range (with keyboard tracking) patched to pitch

This is close, but there are some practical differences between digital yamaha-style FM (which is basically phase modulation) and the actual frequency modulation you describe. If you were to do actual frequency modulation and wanted consistent timbre over the whole range of notes, you'd have to scale the modulator amplitude according to the carrier frequency. With phase modulation you get this for free since the modulation level is relative to wave length already.

Gonna watch your videos this weekend, Lazerbeat!

Tokyo, Japan

If you have any comments or corrections let me know man!

Germany

What I really like to know is how I can create an NES-Triangle with 4op FM-Synthesis. IT IS POSSIBLE!!! Does anyone know?

Last edited by otakumode (Mar 23, 2012 11:25 am)

South Dakota

Speaking of FM, here's a ios FM synth app I found.
http://www.taktech.org/takm/DXie/DXi_for_iPhone.html
Kinda cool imho.

Great Videos Lazerbeat, i love the way you use the notepad.
also good to see the hole video with sound smile

but there is something missing in the bass drum analysis

( it do not seem like i can get the uploaded picture to work .but you can see it here )
http://test.fedepede04.dk/#0.0

if you can see the picture i have uploaded, then you will see that the distance between A and B are differed, B are greater than A indicate that, B is a lower frequency then A, you need to have something like Tone bend it to obtain it.
but most Opl2 / Opl3 tracker don't have that function,
and that is the reason, why drums on the opl2/opl3, many times sounds a little flat.

Last edited by fedepede04 (Mar 16, 2012 8:26 pm)

Abandoned on Fire

I've never seen a discussion of the macro (same as tables?) function in Adlib Tracker 2.
Also effective use of the white noise available in "Percussion Mode".

Are those topics to software specific?

Tokyo, Japan
egr wrote:

I've never seen a discussion of the macro (same as tables?) function in Adlib Tracker 2. Also effective use of the white noise available in "Percussion Mode". Are those topics to software specific?

To be honest, AT2 kind of bugs me, because of how it implements 4op instruments. I find it really really confusing, so I never really got into it and don't really know it that well. However I have a sammichFM which is exactly the same chip. If you look in the manual for the MBFM they call the Macros "wave table sequencing" which I assume it the same thing. I TOTALLY plan to get into that at some point but probably a bit further down the line. Same with the percussion mode, as far as I know that is kinda unique to the opl2/3 chips.

I will probably to little "spotlight" videos on non generic FM stuff like, the pitch envelope on the DX11 (i could go on for ages about how awesome that synth is) or the Macros in AD2 or EG5 in the MBFM

fedepede04 wrote:

Great Videos Lazerbeat, i love the way you use the notepad.
also good to see the hole video with sound smile

but there is something missing in the bass drum analysis

( it do not seem like i can get the uploaded picture to work .but you can see it here )
http://test.fedepede04.dk/#0.0

if you can see the picture i have uploaded, then you will see that the distance between A and B are differed, B are greater than A indicate that, B is a lower frequency then A, you need to have something like Tone bend it to obtain it.
but most Opl2 / Opl3 tracker don't have that function,
and that is the reason, why drums on the opl2/opl3, many times sounds a little flat.

Do you mean something like pitch envelope? I actually mentioned that in the first video but I forgot to include it when I redid the video with sound! I don't think it is THAT important though because a dedicated tone/pitch bend function isn't the only way to get a kick drum.

The use of note pad is totally Day9

Last edited by Lazerbeat (Mar 17, 2012 3:22 am)