WOW MAN!

Tried to embed a video but I had flashbacks to the last time I tried and I gave up out of frustration....

Last edited by neilbaldwin (Mar 19, 2012 8:41 pm)

WOW MAN!

Good times...

Last edited by neilbaldwin (Mar 19, 2012 8:51 pm)

Milwaukee, WI
Shiru wrote:
Theta_Frost wrote:

there doesn't seem to be much of a point to coding a .SPC tracker given XM and MOD trackers

I had the same standpoint before I actually get into SNES development. Now I think that a SPC tracker would actually make sense. The main reason is to allow you to hear exactly what you get, because difference between what you hear in a XM tracker and in resulting SPC is major (not only in sound quality, but also in envelope timings, volume levels etc). Other reasons are that you simply can't make good use of the echo feature while composing, samples are filtered and looped in a special way that could affect to the timbre greatly (and you have to resample them to a very special frequency 33488 hz to make them loopable), you probably would like to use hardware ADSR, which is difficult to control using a converter, also control on the memory usage is difficult, especially if you going to use echo.

SNES does have unique tone, that's true, because it is not just samples, it is special kind of samples.

But I agree with you!  The message I intended was more that there seems to be a general attitude of an .SPC tracker being redundant.  However I DO think there would be merit in such a tracker. big_smile

Sacramento, CA

I have a few question that's somewhat relevant to this thread and that I don't think warrants a new thread.

First, I understand that SNES uses SPC. I understand that if you want to write 16-bit SNES chips you have to track it out in Impulse Tracker following very specific limitations and then throw it on a powerpak cart and re-record the SNES playing it. My question is, if the SNES is playing samples, can't I just make my own samples or alter the SNES samples using modern effects and such, convert to .wav and then re-convert it to the necessary SNES file? (or atleast re-import it into IT)

To ask the question in another way:

If the only pre-requisite to having the samples play on a SNES are:
-Notes can not exceed 128Khz playback rate!!
-The 64 or less samples must fit within 58K of memory. This is AFTER   |
| "BRR" compression. 8-bit samples will be reduced to 9/16 size. 16-bit |
| samples will be reduced to 9/32 size.

Then can I alter the samples in a soundfont pack or even make my own samples that fit the specific requirements and have it play back on the SNES?

My second question is a lazy question:
Does the Genesis run off samples too or are there dedicated trackers with sound synthesis and such?

Russia, Moscow

You can use any samples on SNES, as long as they are fit the requirements.

Genesis uses FM synthesis instead of samples, although samples sometimes used for drums. There are few cross trackers for Genesis, i.e. they runs on a PC and create data that could be played on the Genesis.