half of the artists today are regurgitating the same shit (the same goes for Dubstep or Electro or whateverthefuck)! You have the technology...use it!! Don't just tweak some knobs or use a generic waveform or patch, etc , strive to get the most out of what you're working with! Step your game up! I respect a handful of artists, not because they're innovators or they've got an extensive catalog, it's because they're doing something different! I feel as though I'm not one of these people, and I have much to learn, but it's how I feel. Deal with it!

P.S. This rant stems from the fact that I love Chipmusic and electronic music because you don,'t need the latest and greatest equipment to produce something amazing, you need drive and effort, and I'm not seeing that nowadays. You have the means to do something amazing, so do it!

Agree or disagree...I fee as though this needed to be said by someone. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this.

P.P.S. If you're gonna reply, please try to be civil. I don't want this thread getting closed because you wanna act like you're on 8bc!

California

If those artists are doing something different, then aren't they innovating? And not everyone can be a trail-blazer, some people are just followers. There's a couple contradictions in your statement.

Last edited by VCMG (Mar 25, 2012 7:23 am)

Boston, MA

while this is definitely true, i don't think it is peculiar to chipmusic. in any given genre/community there are dozens of soundalikes for every innovator.

that being said, it is frustrating to see people making sabrepulse-tutorial DMG oontz and never feeling the need to step their game up.

Gosford, Australia

I just make music that I like making and listening to. If other people think it's not shit then that's a bonus.

basically: fun and enjoyability first, complexity and innovation second.

Last edited by Victory Road (Mar 25, 2012 7:38 am)

Tokyo, Japan

This sounds like a "Dr Dr, it hurts when I go like this!", "well don't do that then" joke. If half of chipmusic bothers you then just don't listen to it, just listen to the half which make you happy?

Glad to hear it bothers you. If you don't like it, then don't listen to it, simple.

vancouver, canada

i'm sick of chipmusic because my hipster lifestyle dictates it's now time for me to hate it

AANABAY01

i agree it's frustrating to hear song after song where originality ain't a factor

BUT it's sorta like getting mad at ze people playing acoustic guitar around a campfire for not doing the same

chiptune in the end is a dabbler's field; anyone seriously making new music in this form is doing it out of some sick perversion to start with

Tacoma, WA

I don't know... I am still kinda new to the scene (started looking at chiptune stuff a year ago), but I get fairly annoyed by people who make chiptunes to be cool. It is an art medium through which you can express emotion which you otherwise would not be able to communicate to someone else properly. The cool chippy sound that has defined the genre merely helps many people recapture some of their childhood and lets them drift off into nostalgic fantasies. I guess what I am saying is that, if you truly love and understand chiptunes, then you should at least feel that there is something more to it than just simple bleeps and bloops...

lolusa

^ ^ speakin' the tacoma truth

Fargo

I'm not sick of chipmusic because...
I've been using the internet for years and am used to sifting through shit.  I always end up finding something I like.

UK

there's just more people making chipmusic now. or at least, there's more people making it in an area that is visible. what do you expect?

Tokyo, Japan

... I'll never be as good as cheapshot.

Did I the win the "complete the caption"?

Tokyo, Japan

Actually, a pertinent question, where are you looking for chipmusic? You know there are netlabels like 8bp. pause, hexawe, metrodub, ubiktune etc which have curated archived of great releases? Are you listening to noisechannel.org? have you looked at micromusic.net?

shanghai

"I respect a handful of artists not because they're innovators, it's because they're doing something different! "  an innovator is someone thats doing something different isnt it ?
Anyhow i think of it this way, there can only be a handful of great amazing musicians in any realm. If everyone was 'amazing and unique' then it would be impossible for people to come up with new stuff you see.......and those that were amazing wouldnt seem so amazing. also think that what seems innovative and creative to one ears, sounds like weird shit to another.........its also what drives every musician to make music.
I purposely dont listen to much music similar to my own, its very easy to hear something and want to replicate it because its amazing. Its kind of why i write music, because you get those odd moments when you make something that blows even your own self away, and you're like 'fuck, i made this and its awesome'.
And lastly not all people want to hear unique fresh music unfortunately. Many just want to listen to music thats comfortable for them, easy to enjoy and not scary you know. I love extra weird and of course theirs the true geniuses that no one will ever sound like no matter how hard they try -aphex, sigur ros, bjork, ....3 thats all i can think of i would say are true geniuses........of course there are others........so weed through the shit....that way the gems shine even brighter when you find them.....little scales,balam acab,helios etc etc
And also, stop whining and go and imitate...oops i mean innovate ! : P

Fargo

Check out the music of the first guy who commented.  His latest is up on noisechannel.org.  It's great!