KC

Im pretty new to the circuit bending/modding.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good read/tutorial/basics of/ messing with circuit boards and electronics?

I've been looking around on here and it all seems to be just about the specific mods you can do to your consoles.
Sometimes I don't know what people are talking about when they use specific terms and what not.

thanks.

BK

http://www.anti-theory.com/soundart/circuitbend/
This is a great place to start, written by the master of circuit bending, Q. Reed Ghazala himself. I'd start there.
Good luck!

San Angelo, TX

Dude circuit bending is fucking easy!
Just solder to points two a bat switch and flip that shit!

KC

well, it's not when you have no clue about electronics to begin with

and I mean specifically about modding gameboys. I'd rather not trash a bunch of pcbs before I start doing the mods right. Im on limited funds.

KC

but that page looks pretty good so far I've only had time to read a little bit of it. thanks for the link!

San Angelo, TX

Dude just go on evilbay and buy all those fucked up DMGs and practice!

Melbourne, Australia
Screamforme99 wrote:

This is terrible advice for someone who knows nothing about electronics. I would suggest meeting up with some like minded people with whom you can ask beginner questions. Also, be very safety concious. I don't know where you live but try http://dorkbot.org/

At least you could go along to one of their sessions and have a chat to some folks.

KC

im in MO

and yeah I wouldn't take that as good advice, seeing as how im on limited funds.......

KC

thats in the US

shanghai

the bible is Reed Ghazala's book - build your own alien instruments as far as bending goes. honestly though, these threads are fucking lazy. use google man jeez.....'gameboy backlight tutorial' 'gameboy prosound mod' will come up with all the information you need.

KC

yeah found that shit already, not being lazy..........

Fargo

Check out kitsch's shop.  He sells a lot of DIY stuff that has really well explained instructions.  Start with some of that stuff.

KC
Downstate wrote:

use google man jeez....

then why were sites like this made?

Philly, PA, USA
Grymmtymm wrote:
Downstate wrote:

use google man jeez....

then why were sites like this made?

not to start a shit storm or anything but this is a *discussion forum* not a *help me i'm too lazy to look things up forum*.
I'm not saying you were lazy or didn't look things up, but making a forum topic should not be an alternative to looking things up on your own.

Lexington, KY
celsius wrote:
Screamforme99 wrote:

This is terrible advice for someone who knows nothing about electronics. I would suggest meeting up with some like minded people with whom you can ask beginner questions. Also, be very safety concious. I don't know where you live but try http://dorkbot.org/

At least you could go along to one of their sessions and have a chat to some folks.

Funny story. I bought 3 DMGs from around town and fucking soldered over the pins in all of them... so until I learn to use desoldering wick, they're useless. So, uh, yeah.... Follow Celsius on this one, haha.

Solarbear wrote:

.. so until I learn to use desoldering wick, they're useless. So, uh, yeah....

PROTIP: Heat travels up that shit and will burn your fingers and you will drop your soldering iron on your carpeting and burn it.