Tokyo, Japan

I was clicking about on vintage synth and I found this really weird little synth which I had never head of called a Philips PCM 100

From the post on VS

From the designer of the SFX peripherals for the Commodore 64, came this curious little box — the Personal Media Composer (PMC) 100. It's got a Yamaha two-operator FM chip, a membrane keyboard (flat, but not capacitive like the EDP Wasp) and its most striking feature, the built-in cassette deck. This allowed you to save your compositions as either sound or data, or it could function as a Walkman or dictaphone.

What an odd little beast!

I have a real soft spot for some of the "oh fuck it lets just throw everything and the kitchen sink in" type products like the Amstrad Mega PC (PC with a built in Megadrive) or the Pioneer Lazeractive (Laserdisk player/megadrive or PC engine/kareoke machine/wtf???) or the Hi Saturn (Sega Saturn/Car navigation system).

nitro2k01: Fixed the image. Vintagesynth doesn't like hotlinking.

Last edited by nitro2k01 (Apr 28, 2012 4:39 pm)

Puerto Rico

There was someone here on the forums with a broken one looking to get it fixed (I think he plugged in a bad power cord or something).

And I think it's an awesome device as well.

San Francisco

haha i was just reading about this thing the other day. I was about to post it on my tumblr. The FM sounds are pretty bland actually from the samples i have heard. Its a funny little curiosity tho. its all presets.

New York City
Xuriik wrote:

There was someone here on the forums with a broken one looking to get it fixed

That was Steve and yeah, he is looking to fix his.

akira^8GB wrote:
Xuriik wrote:

There was someone here on the forums with a broken one looking to get it fixed

That was Steve and yeah, he is looking to fix his.

Indeed it was...I've actually ended up ordering another one off Ebay which should be in the post.

I was incredibly lucky with my first one - I impulsively searched 'Philips PMC' and ended up getting one for £14 (p&p included) because the listing was for a 'rare Philips PMC composer', meaning anyone searching for 'PMC100' (its actual name) would have missed it. It was boxed and in mint condition, with the headphones and stickers and everything...then, after using it on some recordings with my band, stuck an adaptor at the wrong polarity through it, and my local repair shop charged me to tinker with it only to give me some vague 'there are too many broken components' excuse, which didn't make sense to me, but whatever.

The 100 sounds are pretty simplistic (though charming in the way that only budget 80s FM gear can be) and would be easily recreated with most basic FM gear from the period. Here's some info someone who claims to have worked for Philips posted on Music Thing

Hi! My name is Bill Hewlett. Interesting to see that people still find my product interesting! I worked for Philips in the Netherlands for may years and I was responsible for this product concept, developing the business and marketing plans and obtaining funding from Philips for this project. It was based on a music cartridge application for MSX home computers (remember them?!) - I was confident that for the same price (99 pound retail) I could develop a complete music composer that would incorporate a cassette recorder for recording data and musical compositions. It was designed by Philips Industrical Design (thanks Gavin!), engineered by Richard Watts Associates (Lindsay was lead engineer) based on a Yamaha FM sound chip, and I had the unit manufactured independently in China. We sold around 50 thousand products worldwide (Spain was a big market) before Philips pulled the plug. Yamaha liked the idea so much they went on to produce a similar (cut-down) product.

I found programming it surprisingly intuitive but it's limited for composition since it's all accompaniment/lead/etc. I used it (and hope to use one again) to record single parts for a nice quick FM flavour. I haven't really explored the tape thing but that would be perfect for a lo-fi FM powered punk band or something.

Last edited by Stevens (May 10, 2012 2:24 pm)

Sacramento, Ca

Shot in the dark,  but does anyone know where I can pick one of these babies up? I've been searching eBay for a bit but no luck =/

sweden

I have one, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm ready to let it go. Also I'm located in Sweden.

Sacramento, Ca

oh man, where did you get it?

sweden

Swedish synthforum.

Unsubscribe

Nothing to add really cept someone posted this cool demo video this week: