Sheffield, UK

i've been thinking about getting either nanoloop 1.5 or 2.3. i Was just wondering if any of you guys could outline the major pros and cons of each versions.

What experiences have you had with either version and what made you choose the version you did?

thanks in advance for all your input and advice as im pretty new to the chipworld.

Luke

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩

It's really just about preference in sound, if you already use lsdj then I would assume you will want to try 2.3
Me personally, I have a hard time actually writing songs in 2.3, and I don't find it very good for hard bassy beats, but you can do some sick dubstep wobbles with it.

Sheffield, UK

i suppose i need to hear some good examples of both versions.

you have any suggestions?

thanks alot

NSW, Australia

http://chipmusic.org/albino+ghost+monke … management

Roanoke, VA

Thanks for asking the basic questions, Luke.  I've been trying to learn more just by slowly poking around, but you're getting right to it!

NSW, Australia
lazerbeat wrote:

I have 1.5 and 2.3 and I like both but there are a couple of things which sway me towards 2.3. First, the file menu shows which blocks have data saved in them whereas 1.5 (at least as far as im aware) doesn't. The other being the GB Micro which is the size of a tiny cell phone, has a crystal clear screen and a nice headphone socket. The sound of NL2.3 is awesome but its very very different from the original game boy sound, if you are looking for the classic retro vibe, don't mind larger hardware to track on and can work with the slightly unclear file menu, go for 1.5. If you want a much more powerful but less "classic" sound go for 2.3.

My not very helpful suggestion would be to get both.

Taken from the Nanoloop forums

Sheffield, UK

its so easy to get confused by stuff! so i just thought id ask the people who use this stuff and know what the score is.

big_smile

Sheffield, UK

ah thanks for that man!!!

im wanting a nice big sound. i really like the sound jddj3j gets from a single dmg. that massive sound big_smile

Sheffield, UK

or even how they both compare to 1.3 big_smile

sorry for all the questions guys.

IL, US
Reteris wrote:

It's really just about preference in sound, if you already use lsdj then I would assume you will want to try 2.3
Me personally, I have a hard time actually writing songs in 2.3, and I don't find it very good for hard bassy beats, but you can do some sick dubstep wobbles with it.

umm, there are so many ways to make very nice kick drums in 2.3..im confused...

Sheffield, UK

my brain is slowly frying!!!!

might just have to buy both!!! hahahaha

2.3 is great because it offers sounds that aren't as readily available with free trackers and such.  There are a lot of well known, well documented trackers for basic PSG style stuff (such as NES, GB, SMS, etc), where as there isn't as much to harness those sexy FM sounds.  I also think 2.3 drums are out of sight.  Pretty much anything by Albino Ghost Monkey is enough proof that 2.3 is where it's at. :3

̛̛̩̥̩̥̩̥̅ ̥⎬̛̛̛̛̛̥̥̩̥̩̩
e.s.c. wrote:
Reteris wrote:

umm, there are so many ways to make very nice kick drums in 2.3..im confused...

Not saying you can't get good kick drums, just you can't do the hard gabber stuff. Know what I mean? DONT MAKE ME LOOK BAD profanity IT

edit: But oh yeah btw you can do noise channel drums in other channels besides n with 2.3, which is pretty sick

Last edited by Reteris (Feb 14, 2010 4:35 am)

Roanoke, VA
Alucard wrote:

my brain is slowly frying!!!!

might just have to buy both!!! hahahaha

This is, unfortunately, the best way to learn about things like this.  ..Unfortunate in a $$ sense, of course.

Luckily though, you have access to this place, and its Trading Post.  If you're not completely satisfied with some piece of gear (that's in good condition), maybe you'll get some of your money back, or perhaps some other neat item in trade!

Here's to spending ridiculous amounts of money.

Last edited by orgwell (Feb 14, 2010 9:29 am)

Also, don't forget that there are demos for 1.5 and 2.3 (and 1.3).  You can't save, but you can at least try before you buy.

Tokyo, Japan

Acctually, one other thing, I have noticed the noise channel on 2.3 seems to be alot quieter than in 1.5 compared to other channels, is it just me?