Hey.  I'm going to be trying a pro sound mod (3.5 mm jack) for the first time on a DMG this weekend using one of the many tutorials I'm finding on Google.  I've been looking them over and am starting to get confused on a few things now since they all go about the mod a little bit differently.

1: Is it possible to use headphones through the new pro sound jack I'm installing, or it only for recording and/or powered output?  I'm seeing some people say that the new jack doesn't work for headphones and instead will just sound really low.
2: Does the volume control of the DMG work for the pro sound jack I'm installing, or is it only tied to the original headphone port?  Can I make it work for both?
3: I want to be able to still use the original headphone port as well as the speaker, so I'm guessing i just don't disconnect those when I'm doing the mod, correct?
4: Is there a way to have the speaker shut off while I'm using the pro sound jack?  Everyone seems to say that it stays on, but I don't want to permanently disconnect it

Thanks for any help!

Boulder, CO

1) my headphones sound low through the pro-sound.
2) it depends how you wire it, you can make it work for both
3) yes but the speaker won't mute when you only plug into the line out jack.
4) nope, rip off the jack from some broken headphones and use that as your switch.

Also search the forums, this has probably been written a million times.

Well for 1, it's LOWER but not necessarily low. You can use headphones with it but it will be a little quieter and for 2, if you solder to the pre-pot points, you'll be able to mute the speaker by adjusting the volume while the prosound stays at max volume. It's basically a choice between 2 and 4.

Czech republic
AdamGetsAwesome wrote:

4) nope, rip off the jack from some broken headphones and use that as your switch.

You can actually do it quite easily - you just have to use jack with internal switch for the prosound and wire the speaker ground to that switch. Just google "switching jack" and you'll figure it out.

Puerto Rico

If you make the volume control work for both, you're soldering post-pot, and kind of losing the point of the mod. If you solder pre-pot, there's a simple way to shut off the speaker: turn down the volume. smile

Hey.  Thanks for all the responses!  I'm not that great with electronics, so I don't quite understand HOW to do everything you all said yet.  I'll do some more research and give it a shot though.  I can afford to mess this up even though that's not my goal!  I might post back here again with some pictures if I get stuck.

Gosford, Australia

prosound mod SHOULD be low with headphones because it's bypassed the headphone amp. put me off a little bit at first but then i thought about it and was like "oh right". afaik you can have the volume control affect both outputs without undermining the mod, loomis did mine though so i don't actually no the process yet.

Bristol, UK

Just cut the 3 black wires out and then wire these points together:

(ignore the text on the picture)

-The volume control works

-The speaker does cut out when headphones are plugged in

-I've not yet found a pair of headphones that don't work more than loud enough through this method

-You don't have to ruin a shell by drilling/melting a hole in it

clovis CA

to answer your 4th question, you could do a prosound with a 5 pin headphone jack, and rig it up that way. just jump the connections from the origional headphone jack to the pin. itll look something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-Qty-3 … 519dd54ffe
it
another thing you can do is put a switch between one of the speaker leads, but thats a little of a hassel =P

Sacramento, CA

I have a quick question as well and didn't want to make a new thread when it's so closely related to this one.

I'm following low-gain's pro sound tutorial in which i'll install a separate 1/8" jack for line out and I want to make sure that I get this right. I don't cut any wires, I solder the new 1/8" jack to pre-left and right and ground solder points and cut out the speaker. By doing this I will have a pro sound mod in which the headphone jack works fine and the line out is always max volume for recording, right?

Tutorial: http://lowgain-audio.com/GBclassicmod.htm

Alley Beach wrote:

to answer your 4th question, you could do a prosound with a 5 pin headphone jack, and rig it up that way. just jump the connections from the origional headphone jack to the pin. itll look something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-10-Qty-3 … 519dd54ffe
it
another thing you can do is put a switch between one of the speaker leads, but thats a little of a hassel =P

I'm not sure using another jack (5 or more pins) you can use the speaker switch cable to mute it.
the speaker switch cable is "normally connected" to GND and when you plug a jack in the headphone jack, it disconnect it from GND.
I tried to find a equivalent jack with the same feature and it is quite difficult to find ( with similar size) because you need a  3.5mm jack stereo with a "normally connected" isolated switch.

if you did some successfull experiment with a replacement jack, i will be happy to know which one you used

Sacramento, CA
Slumpy wrote:

I have a quick question as well and didn't want to make a new thread when it's so closely related to this one.

I'm following low-gain's pro sound tutorial in which i'll install a separate 1/8" jack for line out and I want to make sure that I get this right. I don't cut any wires, I solder the new 1/8" jack to pre-left and right and ground solder points and cut out the speaker. By doing this I will have a pro sound mod in which the headphone jack works fine and the line out is always max volume for recording, right?

Bumping for some quick reassurance, the sooner I get some the sooner I can finish this mod.

Sacramento, CA

If i'm using shielded cable, where do I solder the shield to? Or should I just use stranded wire?

clovis CA

solder the shield cable to a ground point

Slumpy wrote:
Slumpy wrote:

Bumping for some quick reassurance, the sooner I get some the sooner I can finish this mod.

Yes

Austin, Texas

You don't have to cut the speaker out, dude…

The headphone jack and speaker work exactly like they did before, leaving them intact when you add a new jack doesn't affect your sound quality.

EDIT: That low-gain tutorial seems kind of needlessly complex to me—no disrespect to Mr. Gain intended, as he's an innovator.

All of my pro-sounds are just 3.5mm aka 1/8" TRS jack and three strands of ribbon cable soldered to ground, pot input left, and pot input right. I don't see why it ever has to be more complex than that.

Last edited by Telerophon (Jul 20, 2012 8:33 am)