Washington / California

I'm going to play a houseshow soon, and the only option is to play through an amplifier. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Wilmington,NC

If it's the right type of bass amp, go for it. Some have a tape in, and eq section, or sometimes both. A bass amp with 100 or so watts and a 15in speaker should be plenty for a house party.

Chicago IL

It'll probably sound terrible.

Bronx, NY

I'm thinking Saskrotch is right, but could you give us some more info on what you're usin?

Gosford, Australia

if it's just a house party nobody's gonna notice or care how it sounds in terms of tone and clarity tbh.

but yeah hopefully it's a bass amp, and hopefully you're running prosound!

Last edited by Victory Road (May 30, 2012 6:02 am)

rochester, ny

what will you be plugging into the amp?

Washington / California
DaPantz wrote:

I'm thinking Saskrotch is right, but could you give us some more info on what you're usin?

It's not my gear, but the amp of somebody at the house.

Basically I've got a behringer mixer that  I run a DMG into, and then a Doepfer filter that I run a DMG through and into the mixer

UK

when i read threads like this, i come to the conclusion that american venues are a pile of gobshite.

UK
firebrandboy wrote:

when i read threads like this, i come to the conclusion that american venues are a pile of gobshite.

when i read posts like this, i come to the conclusion that firebrandboy cant read

Portland

I did a house show with a 100w bass amp and 50w tube amp, it sounded pretty okay, it  was super abrasive though.

lolusa
firebrandboy wrote:

thats why we have to use guitar amplifiers in a basement

Gosford, Australia

if you have a mixer then that should make sound quality a lot more manageable. shouldn't have a whole lot to worry about.

Madison, Alabama

DMG through my guitar amp sounds pretty awful.  Maybe some EQing on the mixer would help a bit.  Also, it's mono, so if you have some crazy stereo panning that's vital to the sound, you'll lose that and the song might sound a bit odd.

Washington / California
roboctopus wrote:

DMG through my guitar amp sounds pretty awful.  Maybe some EQing on the mixer would help a bit.  Also, it's mono, so if you have some crazy stereo panning that's vital to the sound, you'll lose that and the song might sound a bit odd.

My live setup is actually already in mono, which is kind of shitty, but it is that way because I have it go through a modular low pass filter that only accepts mono.

soultron wrote:

If it's the right type of bass amp, go for it. Some have a tape in, and eq section, or sometimes both. A bass amp with 100 or so watts and a 15in speaker should be plenty for a house party.

Alright, I'm hoping it's a bass amp as I believe the guy whose amp I'll be using plays bass.

Thanks guys, I guess I'll badger them to see if they can find a PA somewhere, and I'll also look around town for one I can borrow

Rule of thumb if you can't have a totally amazing time and sound great playing a gaemboy or whatever a) at a house show b) thru a guitar or bass amp (or both!) then maaaaaybe you and your music might just be BORING AND NO FUN. big_smile

I'd rather play thru good amps than a bad/underpowered PA any day. Plus sound guys seem less scared of amps than the PA so you could even end up louder/heavier that way in some circumstances.

firebrandboy wrote:

that's funny, I come to the conclusion that Americans are really lucky they live in huge areas with huge houses with huge basements they can put some huge amps in and have great house shows that are probably gonna be more fun and successful than the average back room of a pub/overpriced pretentious art cafe venue with weak PA and uncooperative sound tech here in the UK smile