Los Angeles

I watched "The artist formerly known as PDF"'s youtube on how to do a triplet on lsdj.

However, this just shortens that loop and that loop will no longer sync with the rest of the song...

Any way to correct this?

I did change the groove in the other tracks, but now those parts are shorter no longer sound right. The triplets should conform to the measure, not the other way around!

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by 8bitweapon (Feb 17, 2010 6:17 pm)

Dublin, Ireland

D command triplets are less hassle surely?

Saskrotch on another site. wrote:

i googled lsdj triplets and only found slorrin's pdf format's hawkfather's tutorial on how to do triplets with the G and H commands. i've been using the D command for triplets, i dunno if this is common knowledge or what, if it is, my bad.

It's basically just math. LSDJ's default groove is 6/6, which means each step is six ticks long. the first triplet is for a quarter phrase.

quarter phrase = 24 ticks (4 steps @ 6 ticks per step)
counted as 23 ticks (i'm counting 0 as the first tick because it makes the math easier to understand.)

so the four steps start on ticks 0, 6, 12, and 18.

for triplets at this groove, you need each of the three "steps" to last 8 ticks, which would be 0, 8 and 16.

luckily the delay command also counts in ticks

0 C3 ---
1 C3 D02
2 C3 D04
3 -- ---

check that out, its a triplet

that's because we're starting the first step at 0 ticks, the second step at 6 ticks + 2 delay ticks, and the third step at 12 ticks + 4 delay ticks.

for a half phrase triplet, you're fiting 3 steps into 48 ticks. 48/3 = 16 ticks per "step" . needing a note on ticks 0, 16, and 32. so if we put in

0 C3 ---
1 -- ---
2 C3 D04
3 -- ---
4 -- ---
5 C3 D02
6 -- ---
7 -- ---

we have one note on tick 0, one note on tick 12 + 4 delay ticks, and one note on tick 30 + 2 delay ticks.

incase you actually want to do a full phrase triplet it would be 96 ticks / 3 =  32 ticks per "step", steps needed at 0, 32 and 64

so that would just be

0 C3 ___
1 __ ___
2 __ ___
3 __ ___
4 __ ___
5 C3 D02
6 __ ___
7 __ ___
8 __ ___
9 __ ___
A C3 D04
B __ ___
C __ ___
D __ ___
E __ ___
F __ ___

0, 30 + 2, 60 + 4

here's the formula to remember for "on the go" or "experimentation"

(Ticks x Steps) / 3 = triplet length in ticks

i'm not going to go through a bunch of different grooves here. if you can operate a calculator you can figure out whether or not you can use this on a specific groove setting.

Last edited by iNFOTOXIN (Feb 17, 2010 6:38 pm)

Los Angeles
iNFOTOXIN wrote:

D command triplets are less hassle surely?

How do you do a "D" command triplet? smile

Los Angeles, CA

I seem to remember Saskrotch (I think?) doing a pretty useful triplet tutorial on that other site a few months back. I could totally be talking out of my ass though.

Dublin, Ireland

Oops, edit above, saskrotch explains.
Amazed I didn't think of it myself a long time before... but then, I did not rtfm.
Much simpler than playing with hops.

Last edited by iNFOTOXIN (Feb 17, 2010 6:42 pm)

Los Angeles

Found it, thanx!

California

could you link  it please?

Los Angeles

I cant send anyone there willingly.

"It's basically just math. LSDJ's default groove is 6/6, which means each step is six ticks long. the first triplet is for a quarter phrase.

quarter phrase = 24 ticks (4 steps @ 6 ticks per step)
counted as 23 ticks (i'm counting 0 as the first tick because it makes the math easier to understand.)

so the four steps start on ticks 0, 6, 12, and 18.

for triplets at this groove, you need each of the three "steps" to last 8 ticks, which would be 0, 8 and 16.

luckily the delay command also counts in ticks

0 C3 ---
1 C3 D02
2 C3 D04
3 -- ---

check that out, its a triplet

that's because we're starting the first step at 0 ticks, the second step at 6 ticks + 2 delay ticks, and the third step at 12 ticks + 4 delay ticks.

for a half phrase triplet, you're fiting 3 steps into 48 ticks. 48/3 = 16 ticks per "step" . needing a note on ticks 0, 16, and 32. so if we put in

0 C3 ---
1 -- ---
2 C3 D04
3 -- ---
4 -- ---
5 C3 D02
6 -- ---
7 -- ---

we have one note on tick 0, one note on tick 12 + 4 delay ticks, and one note on tick 30 + 2 delay ticks.

incase you actually want to do a full phrase triplet it would be 96 ticks / 3 =  32 ticks per "step", steps needed at 0, 32 and 64

so that would just be

0 C3 ___
1 __ ___
2 __ ___
3 __ ___
4 __ ___
5 C3 D02
6 __ ___
7 __ ___
8 __ ___
9 __ ___
A C3 D04
B __ ___
C __ ___
D __ ___
E __ ___
F __ ___

0, 30 + 2, 60 + 4

here's the formula to remember for "on the go" or "experimentation"

(Ticks x Steps) / 3 = triplet length in ticks" thanx to HandHald Heros

Dublin, Ireland

That's precisely what I'd posted above... o_0

Wheeling, WV

Regarding the first method, which I still use a lot.

1. PDF is using an initial groove of 3. So making a new groove of 4 won't sound right if you're keeping your groove at 6. You'll need to change it to 8, unless you want double-speed triplets.

2. When you're fixing the groove of the other tracks, make sure that you're making those tracks with the groove of 6 and not the one of 8.

Again, it's all math. If your "main" groove is 8 ticks/16th note, a triplet 8th note should be 10 and 2/3 ticks long. One way of achieving this is to use grooves like this:
MAIN GROOVE
-

8T GROOVE
C
D
D
-

16T GROOVE
-

http://wiki.littlesounddj.com/TripletsHowTo?v=17dr

Sweden

Normal groove:

Triplet groove:
--
--

This way, if you skip every fourth step in a sequence it all adds up to a triplet without shortening the pattern or disrupting the mean speed, and you can switch back every even four steps after you changed the groove.

This is how I usually do it in trackers, but I guess it might not be the most convenient way in LSDJ.

Last edited by boomlinde (Feb 19, 2010 8:20 pm)