Portland, Oregon

I've been using LSDJ for quite a while now, and I think I'm just beginning to get a full handle on the interface.

But there are just a few features that I've never really understood... I've just kind of experimented with them until I found something that floats my boat. I've searched the forums periodically and never found the answers I'm really looking for. Same with youtube tuts.

In the pulse instruments, how does the sweep work?? what do each of those two digits do? Maybe one designates the sweep start and the other the speed? When I use the S command in the table (which I assume means sweep) it doesn't seem to sweep at all... it just changes the sound of the noise channel.

...and ON the noise channel....

What are the two hex digits next to the shape parameter?? First digit changes type of sound... the other velocity?

And lastly, the pitch bend command. What are each of those digits doing exactly??

You would all be my heroes.

Savannah, Georgia

rtfm

NSW, Australia

The biggest mistake you can make using LSDJ is not to read the manual tongue

Edit: if for some reason the manual dosen't give you what your looking for get back to us

Last edited by The Sky Is Black Not Blue (Jun 25, 2012 2:19 am)

I have my LSDJ manual printed out and in a 3-hole punch binder. smile

NSW, Australia

Also when using commands if you double tap a on a command it tells you what the command does smile

Last edited by The Sky Is Black Not Blue (Jun 25, 2012 2:22 am)

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Yeah, me and my associate, Mr. The sky is black not blue, will be here to assist you. Because apparently we're experts.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
an0va wrote:

NSW, Australia
Auxcide wrote:

Because apparently we're experts..

http://www.quickmeme.com/meme/3pukdg/

Last edited by The Sky Is Black Not Blue (Jun 25, 2012 2:48 am)

an0va wrote:

Portland, Oregon

Thanks! Though in my defense, I read the manual in 2010 and I totally don't remember detailed info on the sweep commands.

Course.... at that time I was probably just looking for the section that answered "HOW DO I MAKE A SWEET CHIPTUNE"?

NSW, Australia

^ so you know how to use the commands now?

The Sky Is Black Not Blue wrote:

memememememe

Portland, Oregon

I'm still reading the manual.... the S command is so much more clear now. And I definitely didn't know that it affected the kit instruments differently.
I'm still missing some details though... The manual says "...the first digit affects pitch"... and then later describes (in the "pitch bend" section) that P02 bends up pitch with a speed of 2, and PFE bends down pitch with a speed of 2.

But if I set up a default pulse in PU1, using D4, and the sweep set to FE, it doesn't seem to be bending anywhere. It's just a sustained pulse, no different from FF

Sweeeeeeden

There's a legitimate source of confusion here, though. Even if you know in general what sweep and shape are/do, it may be unclear what the S command does, exactly. There are three ways it could work. It could set an absolute value, set a value relative to the instrument's value, or set a value relative to the value after the last command was executed. And there's also another factor, whether a relative value is applied as an 8 bit add, or to each nibble individually.

This can vary between whether the command is used for the PU1 or the noise channel. This can vary depending on whether the command is used in a table or a phrase. The behavior can vary between versions. (These differences used to be a notorious way old songs could break. I've probably used LSDj longer than anyone in this thread, and I generally have to rediscover the exact behavior everytime I want to use the S command. This is just an idiosyncrasy of LSDj that you have to get used to.

Portland, Oregon

hmmm... well I guess that just ensures that LSDJ will always have some sort of a learning curve to keep me interested. I still know more now than I did at the start of this thread. Thanks!

buffalo, NY

If you set the S command and the P command to do similar pitch bends, you'll notice that the S command has a choppiness to it, and the P command is a nice SMOOTH pitch bend.