SketchMan3 wrote:

If you want VBA on Linux, use VBA-M instead.

if you go for vba-m, put these lines in ~/.asoundrc for jack support

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave { pcm "rawjack" }
}
pcm.rawjack {
    type jack
    playback_ports {
        0 system:playback_1
        1 system:playback_2
    }
    capture_ports {
        0 system:capture_1
        1 system:capture_2
    }
}
pcm.jack {
    type plug
    slave { pcm "rawjack" }
    hint {
        description "JACK Audio Connection Kit"
    }
}

restart alsa daemon. start jackd.

BC, Canada
SketchMan3 wrote:
munchluxe63 wrote:

Are there any Linux emulators that have a channel-splitting feature and are compatible with Jack?

I've used both Mednafen and VBA, but no luck... and I can't get LSDJ to run at the correct speed with VBA, anyway.

If you want VBA on Linux, use VBA-M instead. VBA has always had glitchy choppy sound and slow speed whenever I tried it on a linux system (I've only had 3 Linux systems, though, all Ubuntu). VBAM, however, is awesome. I forgot how I got it, though... I think it's in the ubuntu repository as vbam. If not, then I'm sure it'd be in the getdeb games repository.

If you have Wine, try using BGB, and set "Graphics Output" to "GDI" or something else other than the default to get rid of the choppiness. That's pretty much your best option of all. It's not Linux native, but it works just like it if you use the right settings. Plus, when you record, even if the emulator hiccups while you're doing other tasks on your computer, it still outputs the wav file perfectly.

I found VBA-M in the Fedora repository, but it doesn't seem to have any recording functionality, and I couldn't get Audacity to record from ALSA.

EDIT: okay, just saw that last post... I did try that before, but I got no alsa sound whatsoever... I'll try it again.

EDIT: vbam just freezes after loading the rom.

EDIT: turns out, you have to install alsa-plugins-jack.

EDIT: I even got flash to work, but vbam still freezes until I shut down jack.

Last edited by munchluxe63 (Jul 2, 2012 8:24 pm)

NC in the US of America

Have you tried BGB + Wine?

Edit: Also, with recording to Audacity, if your soundcard supports it, try switching the input device from alsa/default to hw:0/hw:1, and using the device drop down list to select "mix" or whatever it is that records directly from your PC.

WARNING, on my system, whenever I use the hw:0 device, it always stops recording after a second or two when recording the first track. However, if you record a second track with a pre-existing track already in the mix (the one that got cut off, presumably) it should keep recording until you stop it.

Yeah, I know vbam doesn't have a wav output. But it's a more stable emulator in general for linux users than vba.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jul 2, 2012 8:37 pm)

BC, Canada
SketchMan3 wrote:

Have you tried BGB + Wine?

Edit: Also, with recording to Audacity, if your soundcard supports it, try switching the input device from alsa/default to hw:0/hw:1, and using the device drop down list to select "mix" or whatever it is that records directly from your PC.

WARNING, on my system, whenever I use the hw:0 device, it always stops recording after a second or two when recording the first track. However, if you record a second track with a pre-existing track already in the mix (the one that got cut off, presumably) it should keep recording until you stop it.

Yeah, I know vbam doesn't have a wav output. But it's a more stable emulator in general for linux users than vba.

I tried running BGB, but I get an error:

sound output: WaveOutOpen failed with error code 32

I can record anything easily with jack, but I can't record from anything directly through ALSA except for my microphone.

Using Fedora 17 x86_64 on a Dell XPS 15 i7 machine and wine-1.5.3.

Last edited by munchluxe63 (Jul 2, 2012 8:50 pm)

Chicago IL
herr_prof wrote:

ive found that your groove can become fucky by doing the live mode one channel only thing versus muting the other channels in regular song mode.. especially for projects under heavy load. Even multitracking muted channels synced to an external clock "feels" different to me than just recording a stereo mix. Am I just being crazy?

Weird, I usually do something similar to live mode (start an empty row above the song and put a one phrase chain in front of the channel i'm recording) so that the CPU can focus entirely on one channel. cause when you solo a track, everything is still happening, just at 0 volume.

NC in the US of America
Saskrotch wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

ive found that your groove can become fucky by doing the live mode one channel only thing versus muting the other channels in regular song mode.. especially for projects under heavy load. Even multitracking muted channels synced to an external clock "feels" different to me than just recording a stereo mix. Am I just being crazy?

Weird, I usually do something similar to live mode (start an empty row above the song and put a one phrase chain in front of the channel i'm recording) so that the CPU can focus entirely on one channel. cause when you solo a track, everything is still happening, just at 0 volume.

I guess that's why it feels different. Because all the desyncing that you'd normally get with solo mode is gone sad

BC, Canada
Saskrotch wrote:
herr_prof wrote:

I guess that would explain why my noise instruments still cut out at random even in solo mode (on any gameboy)...

Rochester, NY
nordloef wrote:
ChipsChallengeBand wrote:

No, you're probably right, especially under heavy load.  Ticks and tempo are slightly variable when recording using LSDJ.  Kind of annoying because mixing LSDJ recorded audio with programmed drums or other electronic instruments becomes somewhat of a pain.

We've recorded all our LSDJ channels at once so far but I think we'll try recording the separate channels for our next record.

But aren't you using a PSP? Might have to take that into consideration also.

Well, even I sometimes get the stutters on the PSP.

Then I overclock that shit and kill the batteries, haha.  WORTH IT

I'm just saying for people being TRUE BLUE GAMEBOY MASTERS it might be a little variable?  Maybe.  But no, we don't worry about that stuff haha, just something I noticed recording some solo stuff.