Carbondale, IL

Trash80 suggested that we use the Circuit Bending forum as a R&D forum for the development of new hardware and software, so I'm posting my latest project here.

In addition to building ArduinoBoys, I plan on taking on another project.  Problem is, I've got three potential projects and probably only enough time to take on one.  Maybe you guys have a suggestion on which one I should take.

1. Further ArduinoBoy development.  I think I could modify the software and hardware so that a single ArduinoBoy could service up to three GameBoys.  By simply soldering two additional GameLink cables to the remaining 3 analog pins on the ArduinoBoy and with a few modifications to the software, I think I could create a few additional modes in which you have three mGB receivers or 1 LSDJ master with 2 LSDJ and/or Nanoloop slaves and start/stop/sync out.

2. Gorf sequencer: another open-source AVR-based music device developed by a fellow named Paul living in the UK.  He's done some great work, but looking at his PCBs, I noticed they use parts that are a little tricky to find here in the States.  Redo the boards with a few modifications for easier-to-obtain parts and a more readily available case (his uses a custom laser-cut polycarb enclosure) and a few more North Americans can see this puppy in action.  Problem is I really don't feel like doing another "improve on someone else's idea" project.  It feels too much like cheating.

3. It was suggested elsewhere on these forums that I do some interface work with a sound generator IC, and I think I found one: the Texas Instruments SN76489AN, the modern-day equivalent of the SN76489, most famously used in Sega game consoles and handhelds.  It is still made (I'm pretty sure), so the parts are not running out anytime soon, and a brief look at the data sheet makes it look not that hard to use.  I'm waiting for a quote from Mouser for 10 of them for experimentation (they don't have any in stock).  It is the most ambitious and most likely to fail of the ideas, but it is also the project I'm most excited about.

Tacoma WA

oh man.  i've always liked that sequencer. 

i go with refine the sequencer!

if my vote counts for anything.

Ohio

As someone who has a Gorf (case and all), I'd love to see the project updated and continued.  I think it has the potential to become a really awesome DIY sequencer and there's definately things I'd love to see implemented if at all possible.

I'd also love to see a chip synth with an easier to find main component.  A lot of the projects have components that have to be scrounged up and the risk of frying a rare component is enough for me to steer clear of some of these projects, as much as I would love to try and put them together.

So my vote is for either the sequencer or the synth.

nz

I like the sound chip idea, maybe you could explore something like this?  BU8793KN-E2-ND 

The SN-Voice is a cool project. Unfortunately the SN sound chips are a bit hard to get a hold of.
(EDIT I'm not suggesting offering copies of Thomas Henry's kit, just saying the chip is interesting and TH's implementation is masterful.)

Last edited by droffset (Feb 25, 2010 10:16 pm)

Well you're doing these for your own amusement as the main driving factor, yes?  You should definitely do what excites you the most; what gets your engine revving.  The Gorf Sequencer idea would probably be the most beneficial to the community, but you need to do what you WANT to do.  Everyone loves lower cost chip synths!

nz

Absolutely do what would be an interesting challenge for you.  People will like it whatever it is.

This looks interesting, there are lots of sampler type kits around.  Maybe it can have a musical use.
http://www.hobbyengineering.com/H1730.html

uhajdafdfdfa

The third option sounds great! smile

ad-hell-aide

The third option sounds very similar to this: http://little-scale.blogspot.com/2008/0 … aster.html

Also, I've got a standalone version that I haven't posted about, which is pretty much equivalent to my SEGA Master System interface without the SEGA console itself.

Milwaukee, WI

The Gorf would be really cool!  I'd be game for a chip synth as long as it doesn't already have a MIDI implementation which little-scale has made one for the SMS - another chip would be really cool though.  Perhaps the same SN as in the SN voice?

Milwaukee, WI

Beat me to it!

ad-hell-aide

Yeh the SN76477N looks really interesting, Theta_Frost!

Carbondale, IL

Now that I know someone else has already done work with that chip, and after hearing it, I'm not quite as excited as I was.  I was, and still am, looking for a particular sound.  I think I'm going to go with the Gorf.  At the very least, I'll have a small sequencer to test ArduinoBoys with.

EDIT: or I could try writing music again.  Maybe start with a cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Peacekeeper" or James Taylor's "Your Smiling Face".

Last edited by scienceguy8 (Feb 25, 2010 11:07 pm)

Carbondale, IL

Okay, I figured it out.  The sound I'm looking for comes from these chips Yamaha built that found their way into Sega consoles, handhelds, and arcade games: FM synthesizer chips.  Unfortunately, nobody seems to be making anymore.  Anybody seen some modern-day equivalents?

nz

Those YM series chips are in lots of things from old keyboards to arcade cabinets. I found a Ym2163 in a couple of old noname keyboards.  Datasheets for ym2149 and ym2151 are available from datasheetarchive.com .

This link might help somehow:
http://www.vorc.org/text/column/hally/ymxxxx.html

ad-hell-aide

The SEGA Master System is also compatible with the YM2413 - Tim Worthington aka Viletim makes repro boards that support the YM2413 for the SMS.

Milwaukee, WI

I don't know if you'd be interested in this sort of thing, but I know there is a lot of interest around MIDI solutions for LGPT on the Dingoo and PSP handhelds.