SO I have this awesome casio that I had been using for a while. I decided to open it up and try to find a few bend points. In the process I must have connected something that fried some part of the circuit. It wont turn on with the batteries in it (although I haven't tried using a 9v adapter) and there is nothing visibly broken about it. Has anyone else had problems like this where you connect the wrong points and your keyboard or toy just dies? I let it rest for a few days but it still wont turn on.

Savannah, Georgia

busted a capacitor, maybe? i'm not all that knowledgeable on electronics

shanghai

hmm i ve made gnarly sparks before but never fried anything. id have thought if you fried it you would have noticed something sparking, fizzing and generally making nasty noises. But not definately i suppose, it canbe many number of things, from a blown Cap to even a severed connection. I remember checking a ct310 for HOURS with a multimeter, and then i noticed one of the battery wires had detached itself from the terminal haha. some of these things have never been opened and are quite old so connections are fragile. You might want to consult the bible (Reed Ghazala's - How to build alien instruments) to learn more about the possible things you can fuck up in a keyboard before you start opening them up. Its THE book you need really, simple and will explain absolutely everything you need to know.
Aside from this if you're not interested in getting into bending further and you just want to fix this keyboard i would say you need a multimeter to check voltage is running correctly.
Sorry if any of that is patronising, or stuff you already know.
PEACE

I don't have a multimeter and I don't really know if I would have the ability to fix it. It's an awesome keyboard though, with midi capability. If anyone wants to buy it as is I would be willing to make a good deal?

Orange County, CA
deepearthvoid wrote:

I don't have a multimeter and I don't really know if I would have the ability to fix it. It's an awesome keyboard though, with midi capability. If anyone wants to buy it as is I would be willing to make a good deal?

You could post it and more sales info in the trading post forum to better get an idea of who'd be interested in purchasing. Not many people would look at this thread to decide whether or not to purchase I would think. tongue

Rome, Ga

You probably crossed the ground of one of the IC's with too much power/ overfed a pin.