Cleveland, OH

If you're just getting into Game Boy modding then I highly recommend starting out by reading ASM's "Game Boy Modding Guide" found here:
http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/6324/ … ing-guide/

There are many tutorials for many different mods all over the place. My plan is to write up tutorials for mods that I don't see guides for quite as much and update this post whenever I write a new one.

----------

START PEDAL FOR LSDJ
For starting LSDj without ever having to touch your Game Boy you can install a jack that is wired to the start button.
This is practical for playing live shows where your hands may be full with something like a guitar.
All you need to do is follow the 2 traces of the start button back to where they become a bit wider(use a razor blade to scrape off the solder mask(coating over the copper traces)).
Solder two wires to these newly exposed pads.
I recommend using Kynar 30AWG wire and securing them with just a small dab of hot glue.
Wrap them as pictured so they are not in the way of the button pads(you could also run the wire that is right above the start button straight up through the opening in the PCB that has a capacitor).

Using a panel mount 1/8" jack hook up the wires to pins 1(left/tip) and 3(ground/sleeve) for a stereo jack. A mono jack will only have left and ground pins which would work just fine. You can purchase 1/8" jacks on their own or prewired right here: http://thursdaycustoms.bigcartel.com/pr … -sound-kit
It does not matter what order these are in as you are just making a loop.
You will need a keyboard pedal with an open circuit something like this would work just fine:
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-MUS-KSP20-LIST
This particular pedal has a switch for open or closed circuit.
Open up the pedal and remove the 1/4" cable by heating up the solder on the pads where it is connected.
It will likely only have 2 wires from the cable connected to the switch.
Wire these up to another 1/8" jack in the same way as the first one(pin 1/left/tip and pin 3/ground/sleeve).
Solder this jack to the exact same pads that you removed the 1/4" cable from.
You will likely be able to just mount the 1/8" jack in the hole where the original cable was.
Get yourself an 1/8" audio cable(mono or stereo) and try it out!

----------

There seems to be a lot of different information about link cables and link ports on the internet. I came up with this handy like image to hopefully clear it up. Let me know if you think I should add/change anything!

----------

Prosound mod tutorial. While this tutorial is geared towards the 1/8" mod is has some good information that applies to all prosound mods such as pre and post mot installation:

TIP: Open images in new tab for higher resolution. Feel free to print them out or share them!

http://www.thursdaycustoms.com

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Feb 5, 2015 11:52 pm)

Does anyone suggest a particular PS/2 port?  I only need one and don't want to pay a too much for shipping, so local or a place I am going to order other stuff would be best.  Did kitsch say he was going to be selling them?

Cleveland, OH

Personally I use something like this:

I strip the cable down to just the metal hub and glue it inside the DMG shell like this:

Though I've used the ones that mount to the side with 2 screws in the past I think It's a really inconvenient place to put them:

I've also seen you the ones that screw on with a nut but it would have the same placement issues I believe.

This will likely be the next tutorial I do!

Austin, Texas

I like the panel-mount ones with the oversize nut, but I would only put them in a kitsch case. I did mine that way with ribbon cable and it's treated me right. smile

New York City
justinthursday wrote:

I strip the cable down to just the metal hub and glue it inside the DMG shell like this:

Did you remove the voltage regulator? Otherwise you wouldn't have space there.

Cleveland, OH

You can easily trim about an inch off the regulator board. I put them in the top right of the back case now though. Thought I had a picture but I don't.

It's also possible that I moved it to the other side. Can't remember.

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Sep 15, 2012 12:40 am)

New York City

Well, it is possible to remove if you are not using the power supply like, ever.

Cleveland, OH

Right. I keep them in for all commissions though. You can seriously shrink that thing so much that you can fit 1/4" jack without even moving the board to the other side. I've been seriously wanting to redesign it as make it super small if possible like I did with the audio filter board:

Either that or try using a pocket regulator. I believe NeX may have done this. Not sure.

Austin, Texas

What is your custom headphone out board there?

matt's mind

the transformer is an issue with redesigning the power supply, unless you want to pull them.  its a weird design and uncommon specs, the MOQ is steep (already checked into this a bit)

Cleveland, OH
Telerophon wrote:

What is your custom headphone out board there?

Literally nothing special. Just a smaller PCB with modern SMT parts to save space. As you can see the main purpose is to get more room on the left for a pot. But considering its all new parts(capacitors last about 15 years) it will sound better and cleaner.

Telerophon wrote:

I like the panel-mount ones with the oversize nut, but I would only put them in a kitsch case. I did mine that way with ribbon cable and it's treated me right. smile

Those are exactly what I am looking for, as I don't want to use glue.

matt's mind
rygD wrote:
Telerophon wrote:

Those are exactly what I am looking for, as I don't want to use glue.

PM me with your shipping address, i have a kit i've got ready, i'd like one other person to test it out (if you are willing, that is).

send me the shipping address, and email, and i'll send it to you if you'll give me your feedback wink

Cleveland, OH

Last edited by thursdaycustoms (Dec 20, 2014 5:25 am)

This is a great thread; thanks for sharing. I really should get into the habit of visiting this forum more often!

Cleveland, OH

Thank you! There's so much more for me to add but I just can't find the time!