Chicago

Old topic, don't want anything to do with it anymore

Last edited by stancoolness (Sep 19, 2013 3:50 am)

Chicago

you start writing thrash. free your mind maaaaaaaannnnnnnn

Cleveland, OH

Yeah you're probably over thinking it. Just try to feel what you're writing. Really get into it and try to figure out what it could be missing. Don't let other music depress you because it may be really good. It should inspire you to be better! Sometimes I'll hear a really good song(chip or not) and want to write a song right away.

Gosford, Australia

yeah practice i guess. not a whole lot else really.

Chicago IL

if you don't like it, keep working on it until you do.

Orange County, CA

whenever i think of a cool like i bust out my phone and record it. If i ever feel musically frusterated I go back to that. It's not bad screwing around, I'll probably never live down "Gaia" but even taking those crappy chips and remastering and remixing until they're rad might work.

Cleveland, OH

Do you play any manual instruments? I'll write a bunch of stuff on guitar or bass. Or write a full drum beat. Some of my songs started with just a drum beat beginning to end then filled out the blanks. Find your strongest part(drums, lead, rhythm) and write around that. Either a good beat or a good chord progression.

Scotland

Write an entire album, then listen through to it and work out what it's lacking. Listen to other artists, think about what makes their music more interesting.

Are your melodies too repetitive? Are you chord progressions boring? Could you play with the time signatures? Are the instruments you're using the best for the kind of music you're making? Are your basslines interesting on their own, or are they just root notes? Have you avoided discordant melodies? Is everything in a major key?

Scotland

Also, if you write ten songs, the likelihood of them all being good is very slim. But if you write one hundred songs, there should be something worthwhile in there. Even the most prevalent of musicians have hundreds of unreleased shit songs. Censor yourself. Only release what you think is good.

And for the love of god, have some respect for your music when you do release it as an EP/Album. MS Paint GameBoys and Times New Roman make god cry salty tears. As do shitty songs titles relating to Pokémon, Mario or your girlfriend. Or all of the above.

"She Is My Squirtle Princess" Ugh. Go have a wank.

Chicago
justinthursday wrote:

Yeah you're probably over thinking it. Just try to feel what you're writing. Really get into it and try to figure out what it could be missing. Don't let other music depress you because it may be really good. It should inspire you to be better! Sometimes I'll hear a really good song(chip or not) and want to write a song right away.

Thanks a lot! You've helped me. big_smile

Last edited by stancoolness (Sep 26, 2012 12:26 am)

Chicago
Edward Shallow wrote:

Also, if you write ten songs, the likelihood of them all being good is very slim. But if you write one hundred songs, there should be something worthwhile in there. Even the most prevalent of musicians have hundreds of unreleased shit songs. Censor yourself. Only release what you think is good.

And for the love of god, have some respect for your music when you do release it as an EP/Album. MS Paint GameBoys and Times New Roman make god cry salty tears. As do shitty songs titles relating to Pokémon, Mario or your girlfriend. Or all of the above.

"She Is My Squirtle Princess" Ugh. Go have a wank.

LOL, thanks a lot for your input! It really helps out a lot. smile

Last edited by stancoolness (Sep 26, 2012 12:27 am)

shanghai

smoke weed

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

That's your answer to everything, mang.

Cleveland, OH
Downstate wrote:

smoke weed

That will just make you think your music is good when it's actually not.

Chicago IL
justinthursday wrote:
Downstate wrote:

smoke weed

That will just make you think your music is good when it's actually not.

washington
stancoolness wrote:

Sometimes I listen to other people's chiptunes that are absolutely beautiful, and then I get all depressed and stuff because I feel like I would never be able to make a chiptune that awesome.

1. You have written some awesome stuff, Stancoolness. I really dig everything you've released.

2. I've been thinking the same exact thing for the past month, I haven't been able to write anything.

3. Maybe you lack inspiration. Pay attention to things you usually wouldn't, and you'll find weird cool things you've never seen before.