Brunswick, GA USA

I just listened to an interview clip where jazz guitarist Bill Frisell says after 40 years of playing he still doesn't think his sound is unique. Take that any way you want.

Chicago
basspuddle wrote:
stancoolness wrote:

Sometimes I listen to other people's chiptunes that are absolutely beautiful, and then I get all depressed and stuff because I feel like I would never be able to make a chiptune that awesome.

1. You have written some awesome stuff, Stancoolness. I really dig everything you've released.

2. I've been thinking the same exact thing for the past month, I haven't been able to write anything.

3. Maybe you lack inspiration. Pay attention to things you usually wouldn't, and you'll find weird cool things you've never seen before.

Thanks a lot, man! big_smile

San Diego, CA

best advice you're ever going to get:

inspiration is overrated. sometimes writing music will suck, and you'll hate it, and it'll be really boring, and you'll have bad ideas for a month straight. it's not like how it is in the movies, where some person is struck with divine inspiration and writes an entire concerto in an afternoon. that's just how life is sometimes. but if you can't get past this, then you probably weren't going to write good music anyway.

best advice you're ever going to get part 2:

stop reading forum posts. go make music. you don't need us to tell you how to make music, and all we're doing is giving you and excuse not to.

Last edited by spacetownsavior (Sep 16, 2012 5:56 am)

Germany

i sure can relate with the first track being the magnum opus (kind of). though i can see how the production of my early tracks is flawed, some of them are my favourite pieces out of my whole work. maybe because they are a different genre than what i do most of the time? that would be a sucky reason ...
"my whole work" i say, but i only make music since last year and made like 20 tracks.
also, +1 spacetownsav.

Finland

Stop calling songs chiptunes, thats a start.

Chicago
DKSTR wrote:

NOPE.avi

Last edited by stancoolness (Sep 19, 2013 3:55 am)

Finland
stancoolness wrote:
DKSTR wrote:

...Que es un "DicKSTRoke?"

Whatever rocks your boat mang

Chicago
DKSTR wrote:
stancoolness wrote:

...Que es un "DicKSTRoke?"

Whatever rocks your boat mang

I apologize for that immature comment. I'm still a minor.

Last edited by stancoolness (Sep 26, 2012 12:20 am)

Chicago

But not anymore

Last edited by stancoolness (Sep 19, 2013 3:55 am)

Detroit, Michigan

dude I'm feeling the same lately, I've been working on this one track and I cant get anywhere with it. Like i dont even wanna pick up my gameboy because I think I wont come up with anything. I need to get outta that groove real soon, maybe pick up the guitar or piano and start writing on that.

Earth
Downstate wrote:

no i smoke and it makes me paranoid and think my music is whack, when its actually pretty boss. truth.

Same here.

Chicago
snesei wrote:

dude I'm feeling the same lately, I've been working on this one track and I cant get anywhere with it. Like i dont even wanna pick up my gameboy because I think I wont come up with anything. I need to get outta that groove real soon, maybe pick up the guitar or piano and start writing on that.

Yeah, I know right? That's just how I feel; I haven't been opening FamiTracker nearly as much lately as I used to.

But I guess when inspiration hits, us chip musicians can do something awesome. big_smile

Brunswick, GA USA
stancoolness wrote:

That's like telling a banana to stop being yellow.

Bananas start their lives green and end them black.

There are other threads about this, your choice of words have an effect on how people will perceive your music, look for the other threads for details.

Chicago

Windhand

Last edited by stancoolness (Sep 19, 2013 3:56 am)

Chicago

I just discovered the other day that I am way better with LSDJ than I am with FamiTracker...

I wish I discovered this a long time ago... XD

Last edited by stancoolness (Sep 26, 2012 12:24 am)

San Diego, CA
spacetownsavior wrote:

stop reading forum posts. go make music.