Cambridge, MA

Yea, I debated posting this here as I don't really think it's finished to me, but 1:30 is a pretty good length of time for me after spending 5 hours messing with the program for the first time.

Fixed

http://soundcloud.com/betasynapse/first-lsdj-song

So any help or advice would be wonderful. The drum riffs really killed me to make. Any tips for better sounds or rythyms? How about the song composition itself? Just pretty much any and all C&C is accepted. ^_^

Last edited by BetaSynapse (Mar 2, 2010 5:37 pm)

Marysville, WA

This is actually pretty good for a first time use.

I like the intro melody a lot.
The drums do need a bit of work, you should definately check out the LSDJ sav vault (http://www.kitsch-bent.com/sav/) and you can really learn a lot from seeing how others do thier drums.

Earthling

Just keep writing and writing. Better sound design, composition and more interesting ideas will start making themselves known to you the more you create with the program. It's an experience thing smile

Also when you share a work-in-progress or want critism for a track you've made, you'll be far more successful in getting replies if you found a site you could stream the music from. Most people would see that they have to download this and not bother.

For example Soundcloud is awesome for sharing scraps and snippets of tracks you're making wink

Cambridge, MA

Oh wow, didn't know there were some .sav files up for grabs. Definitely checking them out! ^_^ I took most of the instruments from the LSDJ patchbook and then played around with them. A couple don't even sound remotely like the originals...

Yea, box.net will stream files if they are mp3s, but my converter was being stupid. I just checked out Soundcloud and they seem pretty good.
http://soundcloud.com/betasynapse/first-lsdj-song

So yea, my goal is to have some mini 3 song EP done by the end of the month so I can get more detailed critique of my songs. I'm looking at a minimum length of 3:30 for each song, so I'm going to have to be really creative to keep it from getting bland. I pretty much ran out of ideas on this one for a bit...

Halmstad, Sweden

You can never get quite the sound of a real gameboy on an emulator, I guess that's why some of your instruments doesn't sound like those on lsdj patch book.

The song is totally okay, lacks a little warmth and complex instrumentwork but that all comes later. Continue!

Ciudad de méxico, MX

great first!, structure is really fine, as the people say, the sound design will eventually come more complex and interesting as you spend more time on the program.  really nice job.

Cambridge, MA

I just got my cart in the other day and I can definitely hear a difference. I didn't think it would be that noticeable.

Thanks. I'm working on copying this my my LSDJ cart to extend it and I've already got the main part of another song. One problem I'm having is with the Bass Drum taking up a whole pulse channel. And when I stick notes in between it often just sounds weird...