Nomad's Land

Ever wanted to play native 1-bit music on a cheaply obtainable handheld device? Well, now you can - the Huby, Music Box, Music Studio, LSengine, and ZX10 have been ported to TI82.

UPDATE 2012/11/02 -  Now also available for TI83 w/ Ion shell. See manual for details.

Here is how it works:

1) Get a TI82 graphic calculator. They are easily obtained from auction sites at around 10-30$ in the US. In Europe they are slightly more rare and expensive nowadays, though there should be lots of them gathering dust on school shelves...

2) Build a link cable from parts available for less than 5$ from any electronics store.

3) Download and install CrASH (the Crappy Assembler Shell) on your TI.

4) Make some 1-bit music with Music Box, Music Studio (Beepola), LSengine, ZX10 (1tracker), or Huby (1tracker/xm2huby).

5) Use these .asm templates together with CrASHSDK and TASM to compile the music data for TI82. For details, see included manual file.

6) Get/build an audio cable with a 2.5 mm stereo jack.

7) Play 1-bit music from your TI. Your calc may occasionally hang afterwards, removing the audio cable should fix this.

If you want to try things in an emulator first, install VTI (sadly, it's Windows only, but it's the only TI emulator that has sound output AND can run CrASH)

Here's a test recording of ZX10 playing on TI82. And here is a little music demo you can check out. The source code is a prime example of how to NOT do things, so I'll give it out on request only.

Things to come in the future (maybe)

- More engine ports
- Switch to another assembler because TASM sucks
- TI Client/Shell for Beeper songs
- [done] Support for TI82CS (ROM 19.006) and TI83
- A means of automatically translating Beepola/1tracker output
- Stereo support
- Maybe a native tracker, though I'd prefer someone who actually knows programming to do it.

Post your questions, suggestions, and bug reports in this thread, and I'll see what I can do about it.

edit: link fixed

Last edited by irrlichtproject (Nov 2, 2012 1:00 pm)

Hungary

Looks interesting. See in Hungary can get this stuff. But .asm templates not found. The link is not working.

Czech Republic

irrlichtproject.de/downloads/ti1bit-0.1.zip

Milwaukee, WI

There goes my November.

Unsubscribe

Wow that demo sounds great!

edit: holy crud bleepola is FUN.

Last edited by herr_prof (Oct 27, 2012 12:44 am)

Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

I'm so glad I've held on to my TI's! Thanks for the info.

Milwaukee, WI

Can't wait to do this in math class.  ALL THE TIME.  +1 for a native tracker.

uhajdafdfdfa

aw, i wonder if my calculator is a TI83 or a TI84

it isn't a TI82 anyway sad

Nomad's Land

porting these routines to ti83 should be very simple - just change CrASH headers/includes to Ion shell, and replace the jp EXIT_2_TIOS with a normal ret. However I don't have a ti83, and sadly VTI isn't a very reliable means of testing. If someone would be willing to beta-test on hardware, I could prepare some templates.

For TI84 I'm not sure, haven't read much about that one. Doesn't it have, like, an mp3 player and stuff?

At the moment I don't have any specific plans for a native tracker - but who knows, it might happen after all.

Nomad's Land

Update: TI 1-Bit Pack 0.2 released

Changelog:

- Added TI83/Ion support.
- Added Octode engine (1tracker version)
- Removed all ROM calls
- Various code optimizations
- Moved all song data to external music.asm templates

Download

Houston

When I heard of making music on a calculator i though of this.

Unsubscribe

PHOTOSHOP I CAN TELL PIXELS

Houston

Actually NO! I drew it on my calculator in math class, so ha!

Unsubscribe

Well done sir.

Cleveland, OH

This is really cool. The test recording sounds awesome.

Nomad's Land
HardstyleFox wrote:

When I heard of making music on a calculator i though of this.

HAHAHA good one! And something like an on-calc tracker may even come true sooner or later.

Btw do you still have that TI85? I could try to adapt the routines for this one, too, if people are interested & willing to beta-test.