Planet Zaxxon

I have been doing some hefty research for a while now about some midi file players. My main intent is to use a device (somewhat small and portable) that can just playback midi files I made on my PC (most likely with FL studio). It will be used to play back Midines.

I am somewhat familiar with the yamaha QY/SU series, roland mc series, and roland sb series.. as well as MPC (bulky and not cost effective). Those are nice and portable  but it seems they don't accept midi files that were made from other types or other computers, and that they have to be made on the machine directly. So if anyone knows of such a device let me know!

Also, as a last resort if I have to stick with a pc laptop, is there any simple software out there that plays back midi files? and is capable of playing back through 1 midi out channel, MAYBE even 2 if possible? Using FL live with midi out seems to be weird and not that consistent. It doesn't "instant start" when you hit play. It jumps/skips ever so slightly right when you hit play but then corrects itself. My idea was to be able to mix 2 midines carts live, so having an instant start where the tempo doesn't fluctuate off the top is ideal. So any help on that issue would be appreciated as well. Thanks guys!!

rochester, ny

i'm currently selling a roland sound brush and roland sound canvas and i can tell you, you do not have to program on it. you write the midi files in whatever program you want, then copy them to floppy disc and pop it in. it's great because the interface is so simple and because you can midi sync things to it. you can have it control the midi nes and sync lsdj to it with and arduinoboy, for example.

Planet Zaxxon

and is it instant start? if your midi file is made to start immediately.. the roland sb plays it correctly? i would like to test those though.. For example, to have something else, playing a set bpm in clicks or ticks of the same tempo of the SB unit.. then  hit play right on the SB unit to your best ability on the down beats, and see if it starts right on beat, and for how long it stays in sync with the clicks ... meaning the clicks and SB unit are not synced together by anything.. you are just "manaully" synced to see if they stay in time, and start correctly.

Last edited by O2star (Oct 30, 2012 2:51 pm)

Unsubscribe

http://orgautomatix.blog4ever.com/blog/ … layer.html

Planet Zaxxon

OK PETER YOU WIN. i was just about to msg you as well, because i know you familiar with this stuff.. YOU RULE. I will look into that device thing. That may be fun!

Last edited by O2star (Oct 30, 2012 2:53 pm)

Planet Zaxxon
nickmaynard wrote:

i'm currently selling a roland sound brush and roland sound canvas and i can tell you, you do not have to program on it. you write the midi files in whatever program you want, then copy them to floppy disc and pop it in. it's great because the interface is so simple and because you can midi sync things to it. you can have it control the midi nes and sync lsdj to it with and arduinoboy, for example.

and what model sound brush by the way? and does it have more than 1 midi out?

Rhode Island

What are you using for midiout on FL? Dashboard or MIDI out or something else? I've never had that problem with my setup and midines which sounds the same as yours. I get some initial delay using littlescales MDM when I have a dashboard with all parameters visible at once. Switched over to a page styled dash and the delay isn't there. But that is USB not midi. Perhaps there is some relation?

Planet Zaxxon

im using just the MIDI OUT .. and set to a port on my RME Multiface... what is " page styled dash" ??

IL, US

peter & no carrier are about the only people i know that still find ways to post gear that i find myself needing beyond all good reason

Rhode Island

You could alternatively create a dashboard that you could use rather than the midiout. Basically you can add your own knobs an link to whih CCs you want. Additionally you can create pages that certain knobs are on and switch between then. It's useful when you have 4 OPs on the sega. What is your buffer set to in your audio settings?

Planet Zaxxon

hmm i dont even know what pages are hahah...

Its set to 512... 12 ms.

Rhode Island

I see the multiface has its own buffer settings as well? Do you have these set low as well? I can't speak to that hardware. I use a midisport 4x4 and haven't had any latency issues with my midines and FL studio 10

cant you use LGPT to track midines? i haven't tried it out yet , but if you had a portable NES you could track on the go ? LOTs of batteries . but hey would be cool for street show!

hmm LGPT might be irrelevant to just playing back midi files..

Unsubscribe

yea you can use lgpt to track midines, but youll have to manually redo everything you did on the computer which can be a hassle.

Planet Zaxxon
2PLAYER wrote:

I see the multiface has its own buffer settings as well? Do you have these set low as well? I can't speak to that hardware. I use a midisport 4x4 and haven't had any latency issues with my midines and FL studio 10

I have a midisport 4 x4 too. haha and im about to test it with FL on an older laptop.. just to see how it plays back midi and what not. So I can see if I have the same problems.. If i dont, then it is probably a setting with the RME.