England

just make sure your song is as loud and overcompressed as possible so that its sounds really great on your mobile phone when you want everyone on the bus to hear your tunes.

Liverpool, UK

To add to Jellica's point, also add in plenty of that frequency that only young people can hear so it annoys them.

buffalo, NY

Compare your master with songs you like the sound of.  Do they have sexier bass? Do the highs seem to sparkle compared to yours? Does it sound 'wide'?

Do a lot of split second comparisons and tweak like that. 

Ozone is great, but it literally took me 4 years to really learn how to use it effectively, turns out practice works

Brunswick, GA USA
danimal cannon wrote:

Do a lot of split second comparisons and tweak ...

Do you ever or often have to scrap whole mixes because of mismatching?

England
ant1 wrote:

when i listen to some chiptunes it has that warm professional tube sound on it, almost like a dream theater record or something, like when you listen to danimal cannon or any of the ubiktune guys, how can i get that tube sound on my tracks

what plugins do you recommend? do i need a good compressor like ozone?

From what you are describing ant1, I think you might benefit from trying a mix buss compressor. Compressors can be used in many ways, but mix buss compression means - as you might expect - compressing over the whole mix.

My favourite mix buss compressor is Cytomic's The Glue:

https://cytomic.com/glue

Download the trial version and try it out over your whole mixes.

Staying sort of on topic: compression is the most useful type of effect in the producer's armoury. There are so many ways to use it. I strongly recommend to any aspiring audio engineer that you learn to use one or two compressors really well. Most bundled compressors are fine to learn with, and often sound great too. Learning your compression effects will pay you off in dividends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

buffalo, NY
chunter wrote:
danimal cannon wrote:

Do a lot of split second comparisons and tweak ...

Do you ever or often have to scrap whole mixes because of mismatching?

Experience teaches you what to avoid during the mixing process.  ie: you fuck up enough times and you learn what to avoid the next time around. 

But seriously mastering chiptunes is pretty much the easiest thing ever.  No offensive overtones.  The bass is fundamental frequencies and they SING and never fart out.  The high end never gets into any offensive frequencies.  Now mixing chips with live instruments?  That's a whole other ball game.

Milwaukee Area, WI

I use to record each channel (PU1, PU2, Wav, NOI)  separately by soloing them and recording the output. Then I would import them into Ableton and then play each at the same time in ableton after syncing them. Long story short it sonded awful.

How do you guys recommend someone with LSDJ to go about recording, mixing, and mastering?