Brisbane, AUS

Hi all!

First post here. smile

I have a general question regarding the topic subject.. I recently (20 minutes ago) acquired a 3.5mm to 1/4 jack cable so I would be able to use my gameboy on an amp..

The 3.5mm jack on the gameboy works fine.. I've used headphones with it before, and the amp works fine with a regular 1/4 cable jack from a guitar to the amp.

Anyone have any suggestions as to why it isn't working and what I could possibly do to rectify it?

I basically am looking to amplify my sound for live performances etc.. so if anyone could fill me in on their setup and what they do (minus pro sound mod) that would be much appreciated!

Looking forward to some feedback.

Cheers,

rubijaq

Brisbane, AUS

Wait.. apologies for the double post..

Works fine now smile

))<>((

Not sure if this is what's causing your problem, but with my 3ft long 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, going from my DMG to my PC's line in, I get no signal, but using a much shorter one works just fine. The output of the DMG might now be powerful enough. I also might just be talking out of my ass. lol.

edit: nevermind, I used the same cable with my amp, and it worked just fine.

Last edited by tacticalbread (Mar 11, 2010 6:58 am)

Tacoma WA

ok first you are going to want to get a stereo cable.
dollars to donuts that one is mono.

now i've never hooked straight up to a guitar amp so i don't know what's up with it.

for testing
i would hook up some other device w/ a 3.5mm jack (discman ipod whatever) and see what happens.

if it does the same thing as the gameboy, you'll know its not the gameboy.

maybe a bad cable?  hard to say.

one thing is if your music has any panning a guitar amp is going to be a bummer since its mono.  stereo stuff is always the way to go if possible.
its also nice to have a mixer.  the eq's are nice and having volume and gain is a great thing. plus you can have more sound sources for other fun stuff

Tacoma WA
tacticalbread wrote:

Not sure if this is what's causing your problem, but with my 3ft long 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, going from my DMG to my PC's line in, I get no signal, but using a much shorter one works just fine. The output of the DMG might now be powerful enough. I also might just be talking out of my ass. lol.

i have a 12ft 3.5mm stereo to two 1/4" mono patch cable and it has no issues.  that longer cable might be crap.  that's way to much loss.

))<>((

yeah, I edited my post lol.

(I think it's my computer then)

/offtopic

Brisbane, AUS

Thanks for the replies, but yeah, as I said it's all good. smile

))<>((

haha oh wow, I totally though the 'works good now' was referring to posting.

Tacoma WA
tacticalbread wrote:

haha oh wow, I totally though the 'works good now' was referring to posting.

lol

same here.

Brisbane, AUS

Ohhh haha, I can see how you may have thought that... Sorry. tongue

Thanks though!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin USA

if you have any soldering skills.. take a stereo 1/8" to 1/8" male.. cut off one end.. take your L and R wires and solder 1k resistors in series with each signal wire on one side of each resistor. Then take the other sides of the resistors and solder them together to your Tip of the 1/4" plug.
then connect ground as normal. That will sum Left and Right  so that you dont have channel loss from panning. smile and it's all enclosed in 1 cable! smile

Similar to this (this is a 3 to 1 mixer, the stereo to mono is basically a 2 to 1)

California

I was planning on doing exactly this. console to amp. however I am afraid of blowing something out. maybe the amp or the console itself (I know jack shit about how electronics work). is it perfectly safe to hook a console to an amp? I am too afraid to hook my Ipod Touch to one as well....

Milan, Italy

I used to do a lot of street performances using a portable guitar amp. (a roland micro cube).
The only problem is that a guitar amp is not built for techno kicks and noise channel snares.. so now, after an year of usage, it sounds like shit and i had to buy a new one.

Chicago IL

yeah guitar amps are made for guitars. a gameboy has a much wider spectrum of frequencies than a guitar. theyre not made to handle bass. (bass amps are the same, but the opposite) if you're looking for something quick and easy, plug your gameboy into a receiver hooked up to some regular speakers.

San Antonio, Texas
Saskrotch wrote:

yeah guitar amps are made for guitars. a gameboy has a much wider spectrum of frequencies than a guitar. theyre not made to handle bass. (bass amps are the same, but the opposite) if you're looking for something quick and easy, plug your gameboy into a receiver hooked up to some regular speakers.

You said it. I've been using my old keyboard amp and I think its dying on me.

California

so what can you use? are there any amps that can really handle it? I mean guitar amps look so cool lol. guitar amp + gameboy/nintendo/ hell any console is pretty badass. regardless what sort of speakers should one get?