México, DF.

Some way to synchronize two gameboys but throwing the loops in only one, selecting if the loop will be played in GB1 or GB2.
That would be in order to get it less "frantic".

Abandoned on Fire
herr_prof wrote:
egr wrote:

A tracker that ouputs trigger/CV signals via the link port.  Should be doable since the voltage is there already.

Why dont you just hack an arduinoboy? there are extra pins.

Ive still never even touched an arduino. And nitro wants ideas.  tongue

Puerto Rico
Lazerbeat wrote:

Metronome / guitar tuner?

But it's already really easy to do this within lsdj. I mean it's great for the crowd that hasn't purchased/doesn't know how to use lsdj; or to have it setup immediately if you use those features a lot (even then, you can just have a dedicated song file for them inside lsdj). A plug n' play program with ps/2 keyboard support kinda like a mGB for ps/2 keyboards would also be a really cool idea, but since it's so easy to set up in lsdj...

+1 for the visuals thing, emulators and sgb's make it worthwhile and not stupid at all.

Also ashimoke, Dauragon and _-_-'s ideas are great.

Sweeeeeeden

A guitar tuner that gives you a note to tune against, that's easy to replicate in LSDj. But this gives me an idea about hooking up a comparator to a Gameboy button input, count the frequency of the incoming signal and make an actual tuner that tells you the tone and how far off the note is. Not that anyone but me would actually build and us it, but I could build it just to prove that it's possible.

Playboy Man-Baby
Lazerbeat wrote:

I have a vague memory that some japanese dude made a simple FM synth.

It's pretty fun to mess with for drone stuff. It was actually supposedly only able to run on the GBC, but I changed the extension and it runs fine.

México, DF.
nitro2k01 wrote:

A guitar tuner that gives you a note to tune against, that's easy to replicate in LSDj. But this gives me an idea about hooking up a comparator to a Gameboy button input, count the frequency of the incoming signal and make an actual tuner that tells you the tone and how far off the note is. Not that anyone but me would actually build and us it, but I could build it just to prove that it's possible.

I would totally replace my TU-3 with a DMG.
But that wouldn't be suitable live, yeah? For that kind of situations the signal needs to be bypassed and that would require something to switch between the tuner ROM and the clean signal..

Madriz, Supain

Id love something i can really PLAY live, maybe setting up a escale so i use the dpad and a/b can pitch or bend or something in that line. That would be the tits for playing live drums

San Francisco

FM synth/sequencer would be rad with instruments and tracker style.

Abandoned on Fire
nitro2k01 wrote:
egr wrote:

A tracker that ouputs trigger/CV signals via the link port.  Should be doable since the voltage is there already.

Trigger, sure. CV, not so much. The audio is AC coupled, which you could get around by connecting directly to the CPU output pin. However, you would get a very low resolution, and the DC outputs levels are a mess. Not sure you could do much useful with it in terms CV control.

We're all about low res, right?  wink  Worth investigating, I say.

vancouver, canada

i think a cool simple program would be a Tap-for-tempo utility. 
tap a button of your choosing to set BPM - either by sampling the most recent interval between two presses, or some combination of a rolling average.

tempo changes could have adjustable inertia for extra smoothness.  actually, having a multitude of different settings or scripts could be really useful for a variety of different purposes.

if you could use it to set the tempo for another gameboy running LSDJ/nanoloop, via link cable, it would be a neat tool for live performances!
maybe the utility could emulate a midi device, for greater compatibility.   i'm not too familiar with the depth of midi support but is it possible to retrieve the current BPM from an instance of LSDJ/nanoloop?

i think such a program would be a good alternative for accessing a subset of MIDI-specific functionality for those who would rather not have a MIDI and/or arduinoboy setup

-----

the other idea i have is perhaps a primitive looper program? i remember reading something about there being an extra GB cartridge pin to accommodate an external sound input?   not sure if that's just meant for piping external sound chip outputs through to the main output though.

if there is some mechanism for recording audio though, maybe on a basic level the input could get sampled to the WAV channel, but the other channels could somehow aid in reproducing the recorded sound?  i really don't know what this would involve from a hardware/algorithm standpoint though.

Last edited by bryface (Dec 13, 2012 11:30 pm)

rochester, ny
bryface wrote:

iif you could use it to set the tempo for another gameboy running LSDJ/nanoloop, via link cable, it would be a neat tool for live performances!

this idea would be very very easy to make with just an arduino. i'm sure there's tap temp code on arduino.cc and it would be easy to copy the tempo code out of the arduinoboy.

BK
nickmaynard wrote:
bryface wrote:

iif you could use it to set the tempo for another gameboy running LSDJ/nanoloop, via link cable, it would be a neat tool for live performances!

this idea would be very very easy to make with just an arduino. i'm sure there's tap temp code on arduino.cc and it would be easy to copy the tempo code out of the arduinoboy.

Not sure if you guys know this but LSDJ already has tap tempo built in. Just go to the main menu and put the cursor over the tempo and start a-tappin'.

Los Angeles, CA
herr_prof wrote:

muddy or pounder with lsdj sound design would be tots.

oh my fucking god this.

Also, I'd love anything that can make super destroyed glitch sounding stuff on the fly. If you listen to the last half of this song: http://wizwars.bandcamp.com/track/physical-memory-dump, I'm doing all that shit live in LSDJ by fucking with the sync command to make notes stick and get all glitched out...it was fun to do but I'd love a piece of software that outputs stuff that glitchy, and the user could fuck around with various settings and parameters. I'd use that so fucking much.

Last edited by Wizwars (Dec 14, 2012 3:20 am)

vancouver, canada
Kris k wrote:

Not sure if you guys know this but LSDJ already has tap tempo built in. Just go to the main menu and put the cursor over the tempo and start a-tappin'.

well whaddya know!  it works.  thanks for the tip.

nickmaynard wrote:

i'm sure it could be done with an arduino!  there may be some who may not want one in their setup though.  but i guess kris' tip negates the need for a dedicated tempo tapper, i suppose you could just link cable sync two GB's and tap away with the master GB.

Playboy Man-Baby
Wizwars wrote:

Also, I'd love anything that can make super destroyed glitch sounding stuff on the fly. If you listen to the last half of this song: http://wizwars.bandcamp.com/track/physical-memory-dump, I'm doing all that shit live in LSDJ by fucking with the sync command to make notes stick and get all glitched out...it was fun to do but I'd love a piece of software that outputs stuff that glitchy, and the user could fuck around with various settings and parameters. I'd use that so fucking much.

A glitch-producer that utilizes all 4 channels would be awesome. THAT would be cool in muddyGB form. Instead of setting the scale/waveform, you could set the channels being used or the vibrato rates or something.

Sweeeeeeden

This thread is now also on reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/Gameboy/comment … games_you/