Silicon Valley

Good news! Thanks to the valiant efforts of David Wendt JR. there is now support for SRAM reading and writing, as well as a host of other nice features.

Get the full details and the source at the EMS flasher site.

Mac OS X binaries forthcoming!

matt's mind

great great news!

uk

I can finaly get rid of virtual box. Thanks for that!

Silicon Valley

Mac OS 10.6 binary for 0.03 posted. Send your love to hyarion!
[edit: clarify version]

Last edited by mikeryan (Aug 27, 2011 4:53 pm)

Sydney, NSW

mikeryan, i want your children

i'll see if i an whip up a quick gui for it later

Last edited by Chainsaw Police (Aug 28, 2011 12:38 am)

Sydney, NSW

FUN TIP FOR LINUX USERS

open a terminal,
cd to the directory with the ems-flasher executable
sudo cp ems-flasher /usr/bin

now you can run the EMS Flasher just by running 'ems-flasher <args>' from any terminal, instead of cding to the proper directory and running './ems-flasher <args>'

Last edited by Chainsaw Police (Aug 28, 2011 6:33 am)

Silicon Valley
Chainsaw Police wrote:

FUN TIP FOR LINUX USERS

open a terminal,
cd to the directory with the ems-flasher executable
sudo cp ems-flasher /usr/bin

now you can run the EMS Flasher just by running 'ems-flasher <args>' from any terminal, instead of cding to the proper directory and running './ems-flasher <args>'

D'oh! Can't believe I forgot an install target in the Makefile. I just pushed a fix into git, and it will be in the next tarball.

If you pull from git, after you make you can now sudo make install

Abandoned on Fire

Bumping this because I'm desperately wanting to no longer have an old ass desktop with WinXP on it sitting around just to flash .sav files.  Is the Linux version of this "finalized" and bug free?  Haven't heard or seen any other Linux EMS options for a while.

Silicon Valley
egr wrote:

Is the Linux version of this "finalized" and bug free?

I'm reluctant to call it bug-free, but it's been in use for years without any major issues (as far as I know).

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Have anyone ever tried building this on an ARM Linux platform?  I'll try that tomorrow and report back, it'd be great to have this on the raspberry pi project.  You could even set up an auto-restore function for those times when a cartridge crashes and corrupts data; just plug the cart into the RasPi and it'll automatically restore a preconfigured sav.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jan 21, 2013 4:52 am)

Abandoned on Fire
jefftheworld wrote:

Have anyone ever tried building this on an ARM Linux platform?  I'll try that tomorrow and report back, it'd be great to have this on the raspberry pi project.  You could even set up an auto-restore function for those times when a cartridge crashes and corrupts data; just plug the cart into the RasPi and it'll automatically restore a preconfigured sav.

Great idea!

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
jefftheworld wrote:

Wow, that's a really cool idea

Specifically to the Raspberry Pi, you'll need to be very judicious with your power consumption to get the cart to even power on. When its plugged in to a rev.B Pi directly, the cart works. However it is janky when I plug it in to a powered USB hub, oftentimes I can't initialize anything. My Pi seems to have a number of USB related issues though, I had to switch out two or three very generic USB keyboards to find one that would work.

SLC, UT

Edit: NVM. I ended up just giving the fix found in the FAQ. I was thrown off because that talks about an error involving privileges. But it worked so there you go!

Hey, question here.
I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and I've compiled it using gcc and installed libusb. I have the flasher running fine, but when I try to read or write anything it gives me the 'could not find/open device, is it plugged in?' error. When I run lsusb from the terminal I can see that the bus recognizes the cart as EMS Production Game Cube USB Memory Adaptor 64M and it's on bus 004 device 008.

So what's the deal? Why can the system see it but the flasher can't? Am I overlooking something obvious?

Last edited by stargazer (Feb 17, 2013 5:19 am)

stargazer wrote:

Edit: NVM. I ended up just giving the fix found in the FAQ. I was thrown off because that talks about an error involving privileges. But it worked so there you go!

Hey, question here.
I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 and I've compiled it using gcc and installed libusb. I have the flasher running fine, but when I try to read or write anything it gives me the 'could not find/open device, is it plugged in?' error. When I run lsusb from the terminal I can see that the bus recognizes the cart as EMS Production Game Cube USB Memory Adaptor 64M and it's on bus 004 device 008.

So what's the deal? Why can the system see it but the flasher can't? Am I overlooking something obvious?

Sorry to bump an old thread but I've got the same issue. I'm on Mac OS X 10.8.2 btw.
I followed Chainsaw Police's tutorial and was able to flash a game (Sword of Hope II ftw) just to try it out.
It seemed to be working, but a couple of minutes later the gb froze, and now when the cart is inserted only a blank screen is shown, either on a DMG, GBC and GBASP.
Also, when trying to flash something, the terminal just says "Could not find/open device, is it plugged in?"
Funny thing is, I can see the little green light for some time when I plug the USB in the computer, but some times it goes off, some times it stays on.

Have I done something wrong or is it just that I got a faulty cart?

Last edited by Adhrast (Mar 6, 2013 10:36 pm)

Tried letting it sleep a night and see how it is in the morning, but it's exactly like yesterday.
Isn't there anything I could do?