Trondheim, Norway

Having done nothing but eating, sleeping and composing/programming MIDI the last couple of days and nights, I have now uploaded another progressive chiptune called Agravaine's Legacy.

You can find the song
here (Youtube)
and
here (Soundcloud)

Since I'm still pretty fresh at the chipmusic game, and since most of the posts over at Releases seem to be high quality albums for sale, I feel more comfortable posting it here, and then I can also get some highly valued "CC" at the same time. smile

I hope you like it!

EDIT: Having just read Lazerbeat's post on guidelines on this subforum, I feel that I fall into the group of new members who just post a topic with a song they've created without any real substance in the CC request, and for that I apologize.
I just think that the gap from my current level and material to the Releases-subforum is too wide, and I had the impression that some people wanted to hear more of my songs (hence this post).
Perhaps it should be a subforum here where you can simply just post what you've just made without having to either explicitly ask for concrete CC; or without (e.g.) having to be a high level chipmusic artist who just released an album on Bandcamp.
But I guess there are good reasons why there isn't such a subforum. smile

Last edited by kartmaze (Dec 24, 2012 3:03 am)

Chicago, IL

This is great! I feel with a nice noise filter sweeps and automated panning you could really improve the feel. It is so epic already. For the first time Rush and Chiptune are together in my head. Definitely a great thing.

If this turned into some kind of concept album, complemented with nice art, I would pay money!!

Brunswick, GA USA

I prefer slightly stronger melodies but this is still better than a lot of stuff I hear that attempts the genre. If you're asking for something to work on, experiment with getting your drums snappier. *shrug*

I like it as it is.

You can use Releases to announce single songs if you want.

Last edited by chunter (Dec 24, 2012 4:12 am)

Brighton/Southampton

Awesome song! I love the part around 5:23, and the time signature changes are spot on. I don't really have many pointers for criticism. I suppose some more work with the volume/dynamics could be done; some of the melodies could be more prominant (eg. the beginning). But, great song otherwise.

kartmaze wrote:

EDIT: Having just read Lazerbeat's post on guidelines on this subforum, I feel that I fall into the group of new members who just post a topic with a song they've created without any real substance in the CC request, and for that I apologize.
I just think that the gap from my current level and material to the Releases-subforum is too wide, and I had the impression that some people wanted to hear more of my songs (hence this post).
Perhaps it should be a subforum here where you can simply just post what you've just made without having to either explicitly ask for concrete CC; or without (e.g.) having to be a high level chipmusic artist who just released an album on Bandcamp.
But I guess there are good reasons why there isn't such a subforum. smile

I suppose the "music" section of the website is where you'd do that sort of thing. Unfortunately, it doesn't really work very well; 90% of the time, the player doesn't work hmm

I'd happily download an album of this kinda stuff, if you ask me. But yeah, you don't have to do that kinda thing if you don't want to. Keep at it, and it's probably only a matter of time before you get snagged up by Ubiktune or Pause or something like that big_smile

Last edited by Fearofdark (Dec 24, 2012 6:00 pm)

matt's mind

(regarding the subforum bit) -- the easier way to do this would be to just upload the song in the music upload section, you could NOT ask for CC that way just as well, and link to your video in the text (i'm not sure if you can embed vid there, its worth trying though).  at the list you could post the link like above

and if you feel there is a gap to where your music needs to be to warrant a full release, the CC section might be the perfect place to find the bridge smile

if you really don't care for CC, let me know and i'll just lock this thread. 

but if the way the thread and the CC are going is cool with you, i can leave it all the same.   its going like a CC thread so far anyways...  if there are some specific things you'd like feedback on, its a great time to seek that out.  CC can be a chipmusic classroom.

Trondheim, Norway

No, the CC is great! (Don't lock the thread...) smile
It's just that I have some troubles coming up with concrete aspects in the music that I want CC on (as mentioned in Lazerbeat's post). I think the CC I've received is gold, and it's much appreciated.

squidula wrote:

I feel with a nice noise filter sweeps and automated panning you could really improve the feel.

Do you have a link to a song where noise filter sweeps are 'cleverly' used so I can get a better image of what you're thinking about (since I'm a noob, and I have no idea what you're talking about...)? And with automated panning you're thinking about periodic panning which for example is created using an LFO?

chunter wrote:

If you're asking for something to work on, experiment with getting your drums snappier.

By snappier, do mean for the drums to be more prominent in the mix? Maybe you have a good example (link) of 'snappy' drums? smile

Fearofdark wrote:

I suppose some more work with the volume/dynamics could be done

Yes, I completely agree. I didn't use an awful lot of time mixing the song(s), and when I heard it on another set of speakers after upload, I realised that the mix wasn't all that good. But that's no excuse, though (just sloppy work). I have to focus more on that in the future! smile

kitsch wrote:

and if you feel there is a gap to where your music needs to be to warrant a full release, the CC section might be the perfect place to find the bridge smile

You sound like a wise person. smile

I guess it's mainly the mixing and mastering (but also some "sample techniques" as well as the choice of samples and effects to get a nice soundscape) that I find to be furthest from release quality. I got neither the skill nor experience to make a mix sound really good at the moment. I feel I have relatively good control on the musical aspects, though (composing, stucture, arrangement etc)...

Trondheim, Norway

Btw, I've uploaded a couple of new songs (one short and one long) to Soundcloud and Youtube.

/spam