It`s not important for the unit, but how many midi-volt does the midi-output spit? Because 5 vol from midi-out is needed if you want to midi-power other units like a passiv "midi thru box"

Sweden

If it's MIDI it's 5V, no?

boomlinde wrote:

If it's MIDI it's 5V, no?

You can also use "midi power" to power "passiv" units - but i depends on how many volt there comes on the midi-out...

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'll be using logic level shifting for my device, so all the 3V3 that the RasPi enjoys will be 5V IO on the business end.

That being said, at least for MIDI the 3V3 should work with most devices.  So anyone building one at how who plans to use only MIDI will have that option.  However, the IO for the Game Boy link port has to be 5V, so there's that.

Last edited by jefftheworld (Jan 4, 2013 3:32 pm)

Unsubscribe

Ok I read the thread more carefully and understand what you are doing much better. Super excited! A few questions.

My requirements are

-lgpt midi out
-lsdj link port support for arduionoboy midiout  and lsdj midi clock slave modes
-The midi out will merge both lsdj, usb,  and lgpt midi outs from the same output (so you can play midi from a usb keyboard, lgpt or lsdj without changing a setting)

Bonus Round
CV 5v Output to control expression pedals or eceterra

For the config file, would you be able to say toggle between lsdj slave and lsdj midi out mode only? Just comment out the other options with a led to indicate which is enabled? The audio out you are talking about is the built in one, correct? Or will you have a better quality audio interface? Same for the usb?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
herr_prof wrote:

Ok I read the thread more carefully and understand what you are doing much better. Super excited! A few questions.

My requirements are

-lgpt midi out
-lsdj link port support for arduionoboy midiout  and lsdj midi clock slave modes
-The midi out will merge both lsdj, usb,  and lgpt midi outs from the same output (so you can play midi from a usb keyboard, lgpt or lsdj without changing a setting)

Bonus Round
CV 5v Output to control expression pedals or eceterra

For the config file, would you be able to say toggle between lsdj slave and lsdj midi out mode only? Just comment out the other options with a led to indicate which is enabled? The audio out you are talking about is the built in one, correct? Or will you have a better quality audio interface? Same for the usb?

The config file will give you the ability to create up to 15 modes that can be cycled through and displayed on a series of 4 LEDs.  You can of course create more modes than this but you'll then need to plug in a monitor to get visual feedback on the mode you are currently using.  The config will allow you to set a wide variety of options in terms of input/output modes, arduinoBoy settings, transposes, arpeggiation, and whatever else I can think to add.  Basic, any setting that can be changed should also be available as a flag for the config file.

As for built-in audio vs. USB audio, I won't personally be coding anything for this.  However, any USB audio device that is compatible with ARM Linux should work on the device without any hassle.  Really, once you plug a powered USB hub into the RasPi, you'll find that most USB gear will work immediately.  I had my keyboard controller sending MIDI over USB with zero installation. I'll figure out a way of routing the MIDI from ALSA to the RasberryBoy software and at that point ANY software that uses standard MIDI should be able to use the MIDI in/out through both the DIN 5 and Game Boy link port.

Serbia,Belgrade

I would buy this without thinking.What would you sell this thing for?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I don't have the time to sell these.  I'd simply be putting schematics and software online, fully open-source.

Well you beat me to my idea. And I'm kinda glad because I hav no idea what I'm doing but I got my Rpi and have been looking for projects and one that came to mind was a chip midi controller

Madison, WI

The one thing I'd like to see is a more natural setup between a handheld and another midi enabled device.  MIDI=>GBs are great but big and clunky.  Oliver's usb stick requires usb, and thus, big clunky computer.

I just want to take a freakin' cable, plug it into my game boy advance, and have the other end of the cable be male MIDI.

Unsubscribe

I thought the same but since keep everything sorted ina  big case now, its much more transparent to just plug in link cable and audio cable and rocking.

Unsubscribe
jefftheworld wrote:

I don't have the time to sell these.  I'd simply be putting schematics and software online, fully open-source.

Thatd be good enough for me! especially the software.

jefftheworld wrote:

Damm I was hoping on a final product, which we could buy by you because I don’t have any soldering skills. So I guess I will go buying one of the other models – following this topic is useless for me.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
waveboy wrote:
jefftheworld wrote:

Damm I was hoping on a final product, which we could buy by you because I don’t have any soldering skills. So I guess I will go buying one of the other models – following this topic is useless for me.

First of all, this project won't necessarily require any soldering skills.

Second, learning basic soldering takes 20 minutes.

Third, other people are totally free to use my software/design to make commercial products from it as long as they remain open source and credit is given.

Last off, I've been hard at work and as soon as I get my camera back I'll be able to show off the RasberryBoy v0.1!

ad-hell-aide

This is incredible and exciting.

It's ideas like this that make the chip community great.

Unsubscribe

This might be useful:
http://m0xpd.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/mid … n-rpi.html