Cape Town, South Africa

A remix me and my production partner did a while back smile

https://soundcloud.com/sparrowelectro/c … en-call-me

Thoughts?

Chicago IL

Thoughts: let's stop doing chip versions of shitty pop music so we, as a community, can be taken seriously.

babylon

when i play this song on just dance 4 theres a part where i hold my wiimote up to my ear like a telephone that makes me feel like a boss. but uhh . . . chip is serious business.

NC in the US of America

Hm. I was expecting this to sound more dancy. A bit refreshing/bearable to hear this song this way.

walter b. gentle wrote:

when i play this song on just dance 4 theres a part where i hold my wiimote up to my ear like a telephone that makes me feel like a boss. but uhh . . . chip is serious business.

My favorite song in that game is the Skrillex one. Haven't quite mastered the Tutting section, though... Oh, also "Instanbul" and the Bollywood Night Rider song.

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jan 3, 2013 11:00 pm)

Cape Town, South Africa

Thank you to those of you who had nice things to say. Trust me, I take music and chipmusic in particular VERY seriously smile

Last edited by stormkraft (Jan 4, 2013 5:55 am)

England

I found 6 Call Me Maybe 8bit covers on youtube.

and 3 others on soundcoud

https://soundcloud.com/kedromelon/call- … rae-jepsen
https://soundcloud.com/mylardubz/carly- … be8bitshit
https://soundcloud.com/bogginmashups/ca … rae-jepsen

OMG she is even making an 8bit game!

I love chiptune and this was one of the most catchy songs of 2012, so it is really nice to see so many people putting these things together smile

Madison, Wisconsin, USA

This is the reason chipmusic will never be taken seriously. sad

Brunswick, GA USA

I'm gonna leave this old news here and you can draw your own conclusions.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Why are you folks so desperate for chipmusic to be 'taken seriously'?  If you make serious music, then it's totally fine for you to present it in a serious way, but why get all anal about what other people are doing?

'Chiptune' isn't exactly a genre of music.  If someone did a ska guitar cover of Call me Maybe I don't think the serious classical guitarists out there would get all angry that people weren't taking guitars seriously.

Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Chiptune always has been, and always will be very serious business. I will get anal if I want to. If I were a serious classical guitarist then I would get mad too because the beauty of music is being destroyed by non-serious people.

That being said, stormkraft, I listened and I did enjoy your track, assuming you are taking this in a serious way.

babylon

lol, i think everyone itt was joking a little bit. except saskrotch. i can believe he was actually peeved. honestly the song was okay. if you had fun with it thats cool. but i wouldnt expect cm.o to give any real concrete advise on any pop song covers.

Westfield, NJ
chunter wrote:

I'm gonna leave this old news here and you can draw your own conclusions.

I'd love to hear if you guys think something like this makes chiptunes more or less legitimate:

http://proximalrecords.bandcamp.com/tra … city-cover

http://www.beatport.com/release/thats-my-jam!-ep/402308

in complete transparency, I think it's really cool that a record label would commission Knife City to do a cover of what is essentially a pop-dance track and release it on Beatport and such.

NC in the US of America
jefftheworld wrote:

Why are you folks so desperate for chipmusic to be 'taken seriously'?  If you make serious music, then it's totally fine for you to present it in a serious way, but why get all anal about what other people are doing?

'Chiptune' isn't exactly a genre of music.  If someone did a ska guitar cover of Call me Maybe I don't think the serious classical guitarists out there would get all angry that people weren't taking guitars seriously.

The serious ska fans and artists probably would be annoyed if they don't like pop. Long live Ska! It lives! BTW, I think the classical guitar ship has sailed in regards to prominence in the public popular eye...

That'd be a tiny drop in the bucket compared to the amount of serious guitar work out there. The guitar has been established for centuries as a serious medium. Ukulele is a bit closer to what chiptune probably looks like to the non-initiated/non-invested. The typical 8bit pop covers are a dime a dozen... they are usually better than the originals, but still...

A ska (or any other genre-based) cover of the song would be more interesting to me personally, because I like to see how different tunes can be adapted to different rhythms and aesthetics and genres. (Coincidentally: My ukulele ska cover of chibitechs moe moe kyunstep tongue)

Chiptune covers are interesting, because they can go from the super faithful, to extremely experimental reinterpretation, but it's just a very strange situation, with chiptune being a relatively new less-established medium compared to guitars and pianos and the human voice and stuff. Edit: I think remixes are coolest when they come from the original artist, though. Like Troupe Gammage chiptuning his band SPEAK's song "Carrie".

› Show Spoiler

Last edited by SketchMan3 (Jan 4, 2013 7:04 pm)

rochester, ny

i remember the last time i played a show there were like 300 people rsvp'd on facebook so i was really excited. but when i got there, the place was empty!!! i called all my friends and asked why hey hadn't come and everyone said "we were planning on coming until we heard stormkraft's remix of carly rae jespen's 'call me maybe' and now we can't take you seriously anymore, sorry!"

Brunswick, GA USA

This board needs a bbcode for sarcasm.

I'm glad someone mentioned Speak, success of Anamanaguchi and Speak are the main source of credibility, if you feel you need some.

Last edited by chunter (Jan 4, 2013 7:12 pm)

slo

haha music and seriousness, you funny!

the song is great, though smile "before you came into my life, I missed you sooooo bad"

Last edited by running.from (Jan 4, 2013 11:01 pm)