Fargo

It helps to know partly where you want to go with the song/what you want to emulate.  Listen to music you enjoy and wouldn't mind producing music similar to.  Listen to the composition and styles used in the music, and think about how you can incorporate some of the techniques from that song or those songs into what you create.  It's not easy, but it can be done by anyone with enough drive.  Writing music does not come easy to everyone.

Chicago, IL

Depending how you learn, sometimes a tutorial might not the best way of doing things. If you have some knowledge of some music theory, maybe you need to 'jam' on a keyboard. For me that's easier than trying to sequence melodies on a screen out of thin air. Sometimes I just goof around trying to learn sega/NES theme music, and all of the sudden I get sidetracked and Im creating something entirely new that might translate into a new song.

Also, some songs you write arent going to get finished. That's fine. Only finish a track if you are *inspired* to get through it and feel its catchy enough to put a lot of time into. For me, about 1/4th of the songs I write I actually finish, and then those keeper tracks usually take me at least 5 hours over a couple days. Sometimes shorter, sometimes longer, but the point is, some of your music will have to be stepping stones onto better tracks. No need to crap out tons of songs that no one cares to listen to, and you can gain a lot just by exercising your songwriting abilities. So start small and see what happens.