New York City

Hiya,

I was wondering if anyone out there is making chiptunes with Reason (or any other DAWs, for that matter)?

What are your favourite instruments? Effect?
Any effective techniques? Simple?
Or anything else, I've talk to a lot of people about producing on LSDj or Piggy, or Nitro, but never higher-end DAWs.

-PMoon

EDIT: Also, if you make fakebit, I'd love to hear it

Last edited by ParallaxMoon (Jan 10, 2013 3:24 am)

Nashville, Tennessee

http://www.plogue.com/products/chipsounds/

enough said. i write tunes in logic. sometimes there are limitations, sometimes there aren't.

babylon

how do you make "fakebit" without a daw?

New York City
walter b. gentle wrote:

Never said you could. I just asked if anyone out there was making any.

Norfolk, VA
walter b. gentle wrote:

You really can't. You've got only two options:

1. Plug in a VST / bitcrusher, and create stuff that way...
or
2. Sample from other consoles/machines, and arrange your samples that way.

Only other way I could figure is if you get a sample collection and a mixer + turntable, and record your tracks live without using a DAW.

You'll still need some way to arrange your samples or some kind of workstation to arrange your tracks, unless you just pull an Animal Style, and make some beast machine, and wire a guitar into an 8-bit stepper or whatever and just record and downmix to cassette tapes or into Audacity (which is still a DAW).

Last edited by Monkeymook (Jan 10, 2013 3:28 am)

babylon

maybe i misunderstood. yeah lots of people do. i dont know anything specific about reason though. im sure it will run all the chip vst's available.

edit: i personally use sunvox. no vst's. but some sweet synth generators that can be used for chip like sounds. its more of a tracker than a full fledged daw though i think.

Last edited by walter b. gentle (Jan 10, 2013 3:29 am)

New York City
walter b. gentle wrote:

maybe i misunderstood. yeah lots of people do. i dont know anything specific about reason though. im sure it will run all the chip vst's available.

edit: i personally use sunvox. no vst's. but some sweet synth generators that can be used for chip like sounds. its more of a tracker than a full fledged daw though i think.

Yea, that's the thing. Reason doesnt do VSTs. That was the motivation behind the post. I have Ableton Live, but I hate it, so I dont feel like using ReWire.

babylon

aww i see. id be lying if i said i knew much about how you would go about it but im assuming you would need to find a way to play some simple waveforms on whatever reason uses to generate synths. or like monkeymook said you could go straight sample based.  i thought a lot of people used fruityloops and ableton for that kind of stuff. ive always kinda liked sunvox and renoise better cause of the tracker interface but that might turn you off.

New York City
walter b. gentle wrote:

aww i see. id be lying if i said i knew much about how you would go about it but im assuming you would need to find a way to play some simple waveforms on whatever reason uses to generate synths. or like monkeymook said you could go straight sample based.  i thought a lot of people used fruityloops and ableton for that kind of stuff. ive always kinda liked sunvox and renoise better cause of the tracker interface but that might turn you off.

You see I'm a sound engineer, so I'm real comfortable with the Rack GUI. I don't know if you've ever played with Reason, but there's a million ways I could do fakebit, I know I have my ways, but I really am interested in seeing how other people approach it. And sometimes GUI isn't everything, I prefer LSDj over nanoloop.

BTW Sunvox looks awesome. I'll have to set aside some time and mess with it.

babylon
ParallaxMoon wrote:

You see I'm a sound engineer.

oh lol. dont listen to me then. but i can say ive never seen anyone on the forums refer to reason that i can remember at least. hopefully someone helpful can chime in. q

Chicago IL, USA

/thread

Chicago IL

i use reason and ableton together

NC in the US of America

LMMS has some cool retro-game-hardware inspired plugins (BitInvader, Freeboy, SID). I don't know how proper they sound, but I've gotten some cool fun sounds out of it. It's not high-end (It's free), but it is a FLStudio type DAW. I don't really use them for true fakebit (well, I did once...), but I do use them a lot.

Sweeeeeeden

You can really do fakebit with any softsynth by changing the oscillator to a plain square, (or triangle, or heaven forbid, sawtooth), turning off the filter, or turning off the cutoff to max with no resonance of course. Of course there are other variations and if you're doing fakebit, you don't strictly have to restrict yourself anyway. Doing this will not sound as "dirty" as say a Gameboy because a Gameboy has other artifacts like DC offsets that create various clicks and a 16 step volume envelope.

If you're actually using Reason (and not stuck with Reason 5.0 for "unspecified reasons", *cough* *cough*) I recommend you check out the rack extension PX7, which is Prop's own DX7 emulator. I'm sure you could make it do some more simpler FM sounds that could fit into a fakebit context. Maybe add some bitcrushing to that (Scream 4 in the "digital" mode, low damage control and adjust parameters P1 and P2 to taste.)

Joliette, QC, Canada
smiletron wrote:

http://www.plogue.com/products/chipsounds/

enough said. i write tunes in logic. sometimes there are limitations, sometimes there aren't.

THIS !!!

rochester, ny

i've used reason for almost ten years. i never actively tried to make "fakebit" but the maelstrom has some great synth sounds (square waves, triangle waves, pwm) and i'm pretty sure it comes with nanoloop drum samples. also the nn19 has a lot of great patches in a folder called "synth raw elements". you can find a lot of "fakebit" synths in there.