Plymouth, UK

Ok, I've joined all the pins and things together with an old link input form a broken CGB.

Bigger pic here

Is this cable acceptable, coz it just won't work with the keyboard.
It's probably just a mistake on my wiring up, or this method won't work because of something technical.

Bigger pic here

When I'm done I'm going to mount the female link port in the keyboard, so no wires to snap.

Thanks.

Last edited by 2xAA (Mar 17, 2010 8:50 pm)

rochester, ny

i didn't know an lsdj keyboard would work with a gameboy advance.

Plymouth, UK
nickmaynard wrote:

i didn't know an lsdj keyboard would work with a gameboy advance.

Really?
I thought they could. I have an old GB and a CGB as-well, but no batteries in the house. Ironic with my username. "/

Last edited by 2xAA (Mar 17, 2010 9:24 pm)

Plymouth, UK

I think I may need more power. With my CGB (found some batteries) the lights on the keyboard flash dim.

MA
2XAA wrote:

I think I may need more power. With my CGB (found some batteries) the lights on the keyboard flash dim.

That's a good sign... you got power!!!!! I'd just rig up the other wires until you get the keyboard to work (assuming you have all the settings set in LSDJ to sync it up)

Also you dying batteries could be an issue... With LSDJ, a Backlight (if you have one)...and the keyboard will surly drain your battery juice... just saying.... Good luck with this btw!!!!

Milan, Italy

Nice one. I would really like it using a dmg port. smile
does this mod already exist?

rochester, ny
2XAA wrote:

when i made my lsdj keyboard, the lights would flash dim and it didn't work. but i had connected the cables incorrectly. i swapped them around and it lit up BRIGHT. maybe you have it connected wrong.

Melbourne, Australia

I don't think these cables have a +5V line.

Plymouth, UK
Turtle413 wrote:

That's a good sign... you got power!!!!! I'd just rig up the other wires until you get the keyboard to work (assuming you have all the settings set in LSDJ to sync it up)

Also you dying batteries could be an issue... With LSDJ, a Backlight (if you have one)...and the keyboard will surly drain your battery juice... just saying.... Good luck with this btw!!!!

Thanks and I'm still working on your HTML patchbook thingy. Dreamweaver worked well, I just gotta get the spacing right.

nickmaynard wrote:
2XAA wrote:

when i made my lsdj keyboard, the lights would flash dim and it didn't work. but i had connected the cables incorrectly. i swapped them around and it lit up BRIGHT. maybe you have it connected wrong.

Oh right, thanks, I'll have a play around with it.

arottenbit wrote:

Nice one. I would really like it using a dmg port. smile
does this mod already exist?

No, it doesn't (I think), I'm going to post a full tutorial when I've got it working.
It's pretty much the same, just soldering to a different place.

TmTgr wrote:

Well, they have four lines and I have a little power, so I think they do, but if anyone has confirmation that they do or don't then that would be very helpful.

Last edited by 2xAA (Mar 18, 2010 4:28 pm)

MA
2XAA wrote:

Thanks and I'm still working on your HTML patchbook thingy. Dreamweaver worked well, I just gotta get the spacing right.

Sweet Dude!!!! I have some ideas to spice it up, after it's made into a web page smile I think I'm going to find a way to organize and keep track of Chains and phrases too.... (ever make a bunch of chains/phrases, and forget where you put it??? Yeah I want to make it easier to keep track of that stuff... lol)

Melbourne, Australia
2XAA wrote:
TmTgr wrote:

Well, they have four lines and I have a little power, so I think they do, but if anyone has confirmation that they do or don't then that would be very helpful.

Actually 4 lines means it certainly has no 5V line.
The ones on a standard 2 way link cable are data in, data out, clock and ground.

Plymouth, UK

I just discovered that the cable has 7 lines, one is the ground for the cable.
It should work, but it doesn't.
I'm gonna switch the cables around a little.

Last edited by 2xAA (Mar 19, 2010 9:28 pm)

Plymouth, UK

I got it going.
It seems I was using the GB cable layout instead of the CGB layout as when I use the GB connection on my cable the keyboard doesn't receive any power.

The connections (from looking at the contacts underneath the PCB) are:

Blank | Blank | Clock
Data  | Power| Ground
|                              |
| LINK PORT HERE |

Video here
(Bad quality)

Last edited by 2xAA (Mar 20, 2010 3:08 pm)