Hey guys! So I'm brand new to all of this. I decided recently that I wanted to mess around with some programs and see what I could come up with. My brother and I play instruments and what not but we have never messed with electronically generated music. Well here's our first go.
https://soundcloud.com/4-chords-made-me-famous

It's nintendocore with trance elements mixed in and some good ol' metal vocals :-D
There are 3 songs up. 2 of which we laid vocals down for. I've never recorded anything in my life until now... It was all written in the program and the vocals were recorded on a crappy little gaming headset :-P
We get creative when we're bored.
Anyways, I know nothing about mastering or using limiters or anything like that but I would love to learn so I'll be researching. I just wanted to know what you all think and if there are any suggestions I would love to hear them.
Thanks for taking the time guys!

EDIT: 2 of the songs (the 1st and last ones) I put up after I posted this. They are without vocals and more just experimentation. Just and FYI.

Last edited by T3rrorByte (Jan 25, 2013 12:49 am)

I was actually really impressed by this. With a bit more attention paid to details and making sure you mix things well, this could sound great. Better than most things I have heard on this forum claiming to be "nintendocore." Just work on writing more songs and figuring out what kind of sounds you like, it's a really good first attempt. smile

Hey, thanks! I really want this to be something I am good at one day. I guess if we keep it up we'll get there. Thanks for the feedback!

my mom's basement

Now normally nintendocore makes me want to cut my ears off with a rusty spork, but this wasn´t half bad! As thebitmansaid, it needs a bit more polish, but you´ve got a knack for this.

Harrisonburg, Virginia

I may just be a dick here, but I like this because it sounds like you're not taking yourself quite so seriously as many other screamo or thrash bands do (that section in "She Took an Arrow to the Knee or the "It's taking control" part in Mr. Brightside, for instance). It's a bit rough around the edges, so I reiterate what bitman said. Other than that, keep up the good instrumentals and lyrics, and this could turn out great.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Overall I'm glad you guys liked our stuff! And I agree Russellian. Too many musicians (especially in the metal scene) do take themselves too seriously. We're just having some good ol' fun! I want to figure out how mastering works and what not because from what I've read it seems like that's a great way to clean/tidy up a song after all of the tracking is done. I guess if I just keep it up I'll figure it all out eventually! Once again, thank you for the feedback!

Brighton | Portsmouth | UK

This is inches away from sounding just like 'blood on the dance floor', just sayin'

London, Ontario

the melodies are too happy to be screamed over, at least throw some clean vocals in there and become more like breathe carolina. also, i thought nintendocore had real drums, real guitar, and real bass.

slo

This is different, I like it.

As soon as I get an actual mic that is capable of recording clean vocals without distorting them beyond repair I will be laying some down. These are kind of just rough versions of the song while I figure out the software. And Blood On The Dance Floor? I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. Looks like I'll try to aim the music in a bit of a different direction! Haha. All in all thanks for the feedback. I'll keep posting my stuff from time to time! Picking up a new Mic and some recording stuff tomorrow. I have some ideas I want to use my acoustic for :-P

Last edited by T3rrorByte (Jan 24, 2013 8:13 am)

ohgodno, Indiana

I dig it, I'd go with some crazy electro drums lk Motionless Battle err something....Thats just me, i dont really know too much about 'nintendocore'.

EDIT: Faster drum rolls and ect.

Last edited by b4by f4c3 (Jan 24, 2013 8:44 am)

Sweden

Note: I can't say I'm a fan of nintendocore. I don't really have a firm idea of what it is and have pretty much dismissed it as a way of pigeonholing bad music.

First song: Very repetitive, and the piano reverb sounds awful with that level of dynamic compression. The melody is pretty bland and you quickly get tired of that chord progression

Second song: To some extent it suffers the same problems as the first song. Quite repetitive, but not as bad. The parts are a bit more varied. I like the big snare in the chorus, and you seem good at pterodactyl song. Ultimately it suffers from repeating that bland melody for too long.

Third song: See above, except the song gets pretty tiresome after a while as well. The melody is sort of wandering up and down this simple scale without any rhythmical point of interest or anything.

Fourth song: The long notes in the melody could use some vibrato or whatever. Right now they are very harsh. It gets a bit easier when the piano kicks in, but I still have the urge to shut the thing of throughout the whole song because again it's too repetitive.

Musically I think it all sounds very tame which stands in contrast with the vocal style. I guess this was totally intentional but I don't like it. Also, I generally have nothing against repetitive music, but since it's so melodically oriented it gets kind of annoying. So as far as I'm concerned, better luck next time.

It's not for everyone! And at the same time I'm pretty green when it comes to song writing and editing. I'll definitely try to use your tips to the best of my ability. That's the one thing I feel I have trouble with. It's hard for me to come up with variety. But I gather the more I keep writing the better it will get. So thanks for the feedback! If you have any examples of who I should listen to to get a more fresh idea of what it should sound like, please let me know!

Ever heard of Sorakujira? These guys get it right. I think you could do with some clean vocals every now and then.

check em out
http://sorakujira.bandcamp.com/album/th … discovered

That band is epic win! That is pretty much what I want to be able to do. Thank you for showing them!

Sweden
T3rrorByte wrote:

It's not for everyone! And at the same time I'm pretty green when it comes to song writing and editing. I'll definitely try to use your tips to the best of my ability. That's the one thing I feel I have trouble with. It's hard for me to come up with variety. But I gather the more I keep writing the better it will get. So thanks for the feedback! If you have any examples of who I should listen to to get a more fresh idea of what it should sound like, please let me know!

Yeah, really just keep going and you'll figure out how to deal with the stuff you have trouble with! It certainly sounds better than anything I made in my first few years of making music.