Hey guys, just started using Famitracker, and was wonder, how can you add more channels? I know different modules have a different number of channels, but are they set for each module? Or can you add more per module?

Much appreciated.

Tokyo, Japan

you can add one extra soundchip per FTM I think. You can can have the basic 2a03 plus for example VRC6 which give you the basic 5 plus 2 pulse and one saw. To the very best of my knowledge, you cant add multiple sounchips per FTM. you need to get in to MML for that.

All those acronyms are gibberish to me xD I'm very new to making chiptunes, so you'll have to explain what they mean.

Channels are set for each module. Start with the standard 20A3, and then work from there. You'll be learning the more complex chips in a snap once you feel comfortable with Fami, but they are pretty hard to master.

here is what you do:

click "module" on the top of the screen > click "module properties" > select a different sound chip from the "expansion sound" setting. you will find that different sound chips offer different combinations/numbers of tracks.

enjoy!
aviel

i realized that my answer might not actually be what you are talking about.. if you meant something else, say so, and i'll do my best ;D

Chicago IL

VRC6 adds 2 pulse channels with 8 duty cycles and one saw wave
VRC7 adds 6 2-op FM synthesis channels, capable of using 15 preset instruments and one user-defined instrument at a time
MMC5 adds 2 pulse channels
FDS adds a wave channel, 64 step wave, modulation (i don't know much about this one other than it's awesome to fuck around with)

Last edited by Saskrotch (Jan 28, 2013 4:35 am)

Tokyo, Japan
Saskrotch wrote:

VRC6 adds 6 2-op FM synthesis channels,

Hey typoed, he meant vrc7. And FTM is the famitracker save format. FamiTracker Module

Chicago IL

oh whoops, thanks!

Well in that case, anyone know of a good VRC7 tutorial for Famitracker? I tried messing around with theinstrument editor but didnt suceed, and I need all the channels I can get for the chiptune version of FFVIII's "The Extreme" I plan on attempting.

You might want to check out the Famitracker forums for more information. I don't see many people on CM.O using VRC7, at least not effectively.

http://famitracker.com/wiki/index.php?title=Instruments

this should help a little bit

Somebody on the Famitracker forums posted a whole folder of most combinations of multi-module .ftm files. If I can be bothered to find the link I'll post it but you can probably find it yourself

Venezuela

i hate famitracker
(edit) and famitracker sux!

Last edited by ui (Apr 6, 2013 10:35 pm)

ui wrote:

i hate famitracker
(edit) and famitracker sux!

Philadelphia, PA

I'd mess around with the 2a03 side of things before you get deep into VRC7... it's the most complex of the chips available in Famitracker.  You can also check out Bucky's website for some tutorials and basic instrument construction.  http://retrogameaudio.tumblr.com/   Good luck!