Hello everyone, first time poster smile

I seem to be having a problem with WAV basses. I'm using an NES style bass (I believe configuration is on youtube for those interested). The problem I'm having is that the bass is kind of drowned out. It starts out good, and then I get the noise in, but as soon ass I add the melodies, it kind of goes away. On top of that, it just doesn't get as bassy as some stuff I've heard (i.e. bitshifter).

What are some tips to overcome this? What could I be doing wrong? I have recorded a loop of a song I'm working on, and if allowed (not sure if I am or not), I'll post a link to it.

Thanks smile

Go ahead and post a link smile I'm 100% sure it's because your other instruments are set too loud! Try lowering the envelope of your pulse and noise instruments smile

Los Angeles, CA

Yesx1000. try to keep leads, fills, or anything consistent in the pulse channels below 8-. I try to reserve 9-F for heavy drum hits- that also leaves some room on top for the bass to cut through in between hits.
Also try playing around with the WAV shape in the draw tool. A lot of the pure triangle/sine waves are pretty gentle imo and don't always cut through- try screwing with one or two bits of the waveform to give it just a touch of crunch.

Fargo

Agreed with those above me.  Leads down, and redraw the waves.  Also, he probably adds bass frequencies using EQ while he mixes.

Thanks for all the replies! Arlight, I'll set the leads below 8, and see about changing the wave for (I guess to be harsher?)

Also, here's the link to the loop: https://sites.google.com/site/lcphr3ak69/song001.mp3

I actually don't use more than 6- in most of my LSDJ stuff hahaha

NC in the US of America

I guess that's the difference between composing on an emulator vs the actual gameboy. I'm always trying to set my stuff so it matches the volume of the music in my mp3 library, so my instruments are consistently A-F (unless I'm doing slow dramatic attack envelopes), lol. My noise kicks are almost always F. So... now I've learned something.

If you still want to keep your envelopes loud, here's a tip: Don't be afraid of harmonics in the bass. When I first started trying to make wave basses I'd try to make it louder, but I'd always back off every time a little harmonics would creep in. Also, Q is not your enemy.

Make it a little crunchy. Crank up that start volume, then adjust the other stuff to bring it back down to sound more bassy. I tend to draw my waves with the synth screen rather than the wave screen.

But... yeah... I think lowering the other instruments will help. Then when you record the song, EQ it and boost the volume up to standard levels.

Rochester, NY

Remember, the volume envelopes in LSDJ are fixed, but once you record your song you can amplify the whole thing to be as loud as you want.

Philadelphia
SketchMan3 wrote:

. Also, Q is not your enemy.

This. I've gotten a lot more sound out of my basses recently by changing the q setting. Also try messing with the waveform as everyone else mentioned. Sometimes it will sound too crunchy when listening to just the bassline, but with all of the other instruments on top it may cover up the crunchiness while still making the bass come  through clearly.

uhajdafdfdfa
SketchMan3 wrote:

I'm always trying to set my stuff so it matches the volume of the music in my mp3 library, so my instruments are consistently A-F

>>>>>:(((((((((

SketchMan3 wrote:

I'm always trying to set my stuff so it matches the volume of the music in my mp3 library, so my instruments are consistently A-F

That's why you master stuff, so you don't have to do that and you can retain the original quality.

Sweeeeeeden

One tip if tyour song doesn't use stereo created in LSDj, is to pan different groups of instruments to the left and right, (for example ch3 + noise to the left, everything else to the right) and use the recorded channels as two mono mix channels.

The Multiverse ::: [CA, Sac]

Hm. I keep my stuff around an A- floor. Gives me much more control for E command fadeouts (which I do a lot). To me, the kit and wave form perfectly around that. But I can understand wanting it lower.

Pulse wise:
8-A for accompaniment. Gives me 8 steps of E controlled fading.
B-F for leads.

NC in the US of America
ant1 wrote:
SketchMan3 wrote:

SketchMan3 wrote:

So... now I've learned something.

Anyway, I went back through my songs, and I do occasionally use lower numbers, so there.

I figured out something, though... I should be able to boost the output volume of the emulator over 100% to satisfy my needs and keep my stuff clear sounding.

uhajdafdfdfa
SketchMan3 wrote:
ant1 wrote:

SketchMan3 wrote:

So... now I've learned something.

Anyway, I went back through my songs, and I do occasionally use lower numbers, so there.

I figured out something, though... I should be able to boost the output volume of the emulator over 100% to satisfy my needs and keep my stuff clear sounding.

if you run these program on wav files they can make them as loud as they can possibly be without compromising quality
https://neon1.net/prog/normalizer.html
http://normalize.nongnu.org/

maybe you're interested in that smile

Philly, PA, USA

lolsdj