NC in the US of America

One midi sequencer that is rarely mentioned is The Jazz Midi Sequencer. It uses a piano roll interface, and is pretty powerful for a free tool. While I tend to use Anvil Studio for basic composing if possible (and sometimes break into the Event editor to use the effects that they make you pay extra for), Jazz makes it much easier to use effects like pitch bend, vibrato, LFO effects and what-not. I think it actually has all the standard midi features available to you.

I haven't used any midi trackers, though, so I couldn't really compare them. I still have the old installer zip file for Jazz 4.0.0 and 4.0.3 from before they went open-source compile-it-yourself. Jazz 4.0.0 works great in WINE, if anybody cares. Just have to have Timidity or what-not, of course.

Interface takes some getting used to, but once you do, you'll be flying if you don't mind piano roll.

Brunswick, GA USA

The standard midi file format had a bad version that smashes all data into one track and a bearable version that leaves them separated. You want to export to the latter version.

The ideal format is the native format of your sequencer, but in your case it can't be helped. I don't know enough about Reason to give the exact answer you want, but I'm guessing the export is trying to make an ancient file.

I wrote a ton of completed tracks and unreleased albums in high school/college with this Tablature MIDI software that exported to .mid: http://www.tabit.net

It's like Guitar Pro but infinitely better as it runs next to nothing on your system and allows for viewing all tracks at once with ease.

Last edited by an0va (Sep 18, 2012 6:49 am)